“Great place”

Ranked #2 of 5 Naples B&B and Inns
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
“Great place”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My son and I enjoyed staying here. Skiied nearby Shawnee peak. Visited St. Joseph College.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My daughter made reservations for her family of four (two children 5 and 7) and her father and me for a weekend visit to her 89 year old grandmother in a neighboring town. That was the weekend of Hurricane Irene which devastated many areas of northern New England. She called and asked the innkeeper if we could reschedule due to the extenuating circumstances. Arlene agreed. (As it turned out the inn was without power for a portion of that weekend.)
We rescheduled for Columbus Day weekend by way of a telephone conversation with Arlene who confirmed verbally that we were booked into the Maroon Room as originally planned and my daughter's family would be on the third floor in adjoining rooms.
My husband and I arrived first and were told by Arlene that she had made a mistake and had no rooms for us after all so she had arranged for two rooms at a nearby B and B. When I said we needed three rooms she acted shocked and aghast that we expected anyone to accommodate CHILDREN!
A frustrating half hour later Arlene came up with a B and B about 6 miles down the road (in the opposite direction from great-Nana's house) that could take us.
Throughout the whole transaction Arlene was unpleasant and dismissive. We firmly believe she had no intention of honoring her agreement to reschedule us, since she could pocket our first night's deposit while rerenting our rooms for the full price. She did pay for our first night at the other B and B, but it was far less money than the original deposit which we had paid.
Some people should not be in the hospitality business. My advice: book someplace else in the Naples area. In addition to the disagreeable hostess, the house is right on the main road and the road noise is horrific. The house is old and in poor repair.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Nancy P
Tenafly, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We have been traveling to this part of Maine for the past 8 summers, as our children attend camp nearby and we come for visiting weekend. In past summers, we've stayed at truck stop motels, chain hotels and even rented a lakeside cottage. This was our first experience at the Augustus Bove House (although we've passed it numerous times before) and we've already made our reservations for next summer.
We traveled with my in-laws. We stayed in the King Room and they stayed in the Green Room. Our room was bigger, but their bathroom was bigger. We had a small fridge in our room; there was a slightly larger one in the hallway outside the Green Room. We also had a Keurig machine in our room. Most of the rooms are one room with a private bathroom. There are two "cottages" with full kitchens available as well. There is a common sitting room inside and a common patio out front. Some of the rooms have a private balcony or patio as well.
The hotel is based in a house that was built in 1810. Arlene and David have decorated with antiques throughout and admittedly, much of the house is true to that time period. The rooms do need some wallpaper or painting touchups. The dressers are antique (my mother-in-law said that some of the drawers were difficult to open in their dresser). But, this is Naples, ME. Don't arrive expecting luxury. Instead, arrive appreciating the charm of the timeperiod represented by the house and by the hospitality of your hosts.
Arlene is 75 years old, and admittedly is ready to sell the house - either as a B&B or really as just a house. She is a little set in her ways and very much old-fashioned - no hats in the dining room, no cereal in the tea cups. But the eggs and pancakes were delicious, the muffins were warm with fresh fruit, and she even brought us out warm pieces of coffee cake or chocolate cake in the evening! Again, this is not a hotel - it is not a place to come-and-go at all hours. When you check in you get a key to your individual room, not to the house. Arlene locks up when all the guests are in. But, if you need a place to stop for a few days, walking distance to Long Lake, Sebago Park or many of the restaurants on the lake, it is great.

Room Tip: Check out the website for a description of each room and if in doubt, call Arlene!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Brisbane
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We stayed for three nights at this great B&B run by Arlene and David. The rooms are furnished in a style of yesteryear and the dining room should be listed for its heritage value. The hosts and owners Arlene and David were the most accommodating people we came across in our 3 month trip through Maine and the Maritimes. We were a bit sad when it was time for us to move on but our memories of this place will never fade.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We were disappointed with our stay at this inn. The shower was a disaster. The water was either scalding hot or freezing cold. The bed was very comfortable and we did have a balcony off our room. Unfortunately the noise from the road right out front was very loud, but the view was beautiful. The innkeepers were very friendly and we enjoyed talking with them at breakfast.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maegivens
Maine
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My Augustus Bove House experience was terrible from start to finish! From the moment we arrived the innkeeper was beyond rude. The innkeeper answered the door barefoot and in a dirty old apron. When asked if she was the person we should see about checking in with, she said "well why do you think I'm standing here"? This sort of attitude continued throughout our visit. She warned us that she would be watching us and that we better not steal anything, especially the TV remote!

The condition of the room was terrible! We found spoiled milk and old cheese in the refrigerator and just when we thought things couldnt possibly get any worse, we found a chest freezer in the bedroom filled to the brim with old meat. And by old meat, I mean steaks that had expired over a year and a half ago!

The room had two trundle beds, but in order to get the trundle out you had to move the dresser over by the meat freezer. The closet was filled with old vacuum cleaners and, blankets and pillow stacked up, plastic bags, old lamps and broken fans. In the living room we found two old radiators not attached to anything, an old fireplace insert - and see pictures. And the view? Well it was of the house next door located approx. 6 inches away.

I would NOT recommend the Bove house to anyone! It's a terrible shame that this place has gone under such terrible ownership. The location could be rather lovely. But it is far far from that.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gooseanddoodle
Arlene S, Owner at Augustus Bove House, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
We have been asked by guests that were present at the time to give our answer to all this. The reservation was for 4 girls, the girls were never told not to steal, I informed them that the small chest freezer was in the small cubby hole in the childs room because we had just picked it up after putting my son in the hospital, and had not figured out where we could keep it.The girls were asked just leave it and please do not bother with it. This was not done. meat had been put in the chest freezer because it goes out of date before you can use it The picture of the window view in the adult bedroom -- distance is 18 to 20 inches but we never advertised an ocean view, the window is there by law(egress in case of fire) It has venetian blinds, shade and curtains. The cottage has a large porch with table for 8 with barbecue (with gas supplied) and some views. the picture of the vacumn cleaner is a question The girls had difficulty with the furniture because that with 4 two could sleep in the queen bed and two could sleep in the twin beds. Since there turn out to be 8 girls or more they had to move the furniture to accommodate more. In addition to the extra girls, extra cars arrived and the girl who wrote this message neglected to say they were unhappy that they were asked to put their cars across the street or on the side of the street to park because all the spaces at the house are for the guests in the house plus one at each cottage nothing extra We found the whole experience with these girls not to be considerate or at all kind
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 19 August 2009

The location was as expected, I am from the area where the hotel is located. I was looking for something close in proximity to my family, and this was adequate. The room was comfortable, although there were several encounters with the innkeeper that were disconcerting.

On several occasions, once, when my brother, whom I had not seen in several years came for a quiet visit late in the evening, my partner and he were greeted with an unwelcome reception by the innkeeper who was concerned about potential car door slamming in the parking lot, headlights being turned on, etc. On another occasion, also later in the evening, I had hoped the restaurant next door would be open, but they had closed ten minutes prior. I got back in my car to go to another town (this is rural Maine, after all) where I knew something would be open. The innkeeper came out of the house in her nightgown, barefoot, to inquire what I was doing. I was perplexed and though I owed her no explanation, informed her I was headed out to get food, and to have a good night. She did not leave. After a period of uncomfortable silence, she said "This isn't the city, you know. Things close." "I know," I said, "that's why I'm headed out." "You think things will be open there, do you?" she said again. "Yes, I'm quite sure, have a good night."

It was an awkward and completely inappropriate encounter, and left a very bad taste in my mouth about the entire experience. I sought to avoid her as much as possible, including not taking advantage of the full breakfast provided. While bed and breakfasts can indeed be a quiet retreat, I learned not to expect the freedoms of a hotel from them.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SLCMidge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Naples
20.9 km away
20.2 km away
Poland Spring Resort
Poland Spring Resort
#1 of 1 in Poland Springs

Been to Augustus Bove House? Share your experiences!