All reviews long lake new owners fresh fruit sebago lake b and b small cabin great hosts the main house bed and breakfast pleasant stay summer camp front lawn first floor french toast within walking distance spent nights other guests
Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

The Augustus above House is a great reasonable, historic Bed and Breakfast to stay while getting away for a nice vacation. My husband Mark and I were able to stay in the nice homey small cottage with the inclusion of my dog snickers who was very excited to finally come with us on a trip. The small cottage had a coffee maker, fridge, and even a microwave! Not only were the owners (Carol and Dennis) kind and welcoming but provided a great breakfast which we enjoyed on the spacious porch. Mark is allergic to a few things which the kitchen crew was very aware of and went out of their way to make sure he was not receiving the wrong foods. There was great choices for breakfast as in omelettes and pancakes that were very well made! I was happy to find their delicious homemade jellies and maple syrups for sale making great gifts for my family! The B&B is also in a great location with the stores on the causeway in waking distance that made a nice sunset stroll.

Thank you Carol and Dennis for a great stay! I am very excited to come back again next summer!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lily F
Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

I have always had a hard time finding a reasonable and family friendly place to stay in Maine with my partner Amy and son James until I found the Augustus Bove House Bed and Breakfast. I must start with their Breakfast. The omelettes and French toast were to die for! James is usually very fussy with his meals but the kitchen crew was greatly flexible with making his French toast with a little extra cinnamon! :) We stayed in the third floor suite which was nice and big to occupy everyone and provided everything we needed and more. Our room was thoroughly cleaned up during the day to make sure we had a happy return after a nice day spent at the beach and or nearby causeway stores. We enjoyed the lake view and even went on a once in a life time sea plane ride right across the street! I have been to many hotels/motels/B&B's in my life but the Augustus Bove House is hands down the best out of all!

Thank you to the new owners, Carol and Dennis for a fantastic experience and look forward to seeing you next season!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2017

The Augustus Bove House, formerly The Old Naples Hotel. Absolutely love this place! Been coming to Naples for vacations over 30 years and it's always a delight when we stay at the Augustus Bove House, especially since the new owners Dennis and Carol have taken ownership. Two of the nicest bed & breakfast owners out there! They both couldn't have possibly been any nicer during our stay. The food was delicious, the room was clean and accommodating, and the views over the downtown Naples/Long Lake are second to none. Highly recommend staying here with these kind people. They'll even customize your breakfast just the way you like it. Definitely stay here if a lovely bed and breakfast is what you're looking for!! Thank you again Dennis and Carol. We'll DEFINATELY be back to stay with you folks again!! See you soon.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Amy C
Reviewed July 27, 2017

Excellent location at south end of Long Lake. I have such fond memories of this area and expected a wonderful nostalgic stay.

Unfortunately I must agree wholehearted with the recent review by Sharon HarvardSquare.

Very disappointing rooms, ambiance and breakfast. New owners need to step up and improve or their business will soon suffer. Too many lovely B&Bs in the area which are much better deals at same price.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2017

I don't believe these good reviews! We prepaid for a romantic weekend of two nights and left this dump after one even though we knew we'd prepaid with no refund. Where can I start? I wouldn't give the pillows to my kids to take to camp, the worn sheets and pillowcases were mismatched, one blue bottom, white top, etc; the beige paper cup holder in the bathroom was like a hospital room, the room was filled with plastic flowers and vines and other assorted cheap made in China Tchotchkes filling every space. The porch and decks have old plastic furniture and dirty cushions and I could go on and on. The breakfast room looks like an old college dining hall from 1950's, very institutional, the fresh fruit cup was including canned mandarin oranges and grapes--everywhere else we stayed it was blueberries and strawberries in July in Maine!. This was one of three hotels, all in the $150.00ish range, and the other two were delightful with fine decor. The new owner, who talks to much in a loud voice, explained that there were no seconds or substitutions for breakfast. The only good thing was getting out of there. Anyone who likes this place has not been to others in the same price range throughout Maine and likes cheap taste. Oh, the closet had an old
broker air conditioner and five mismatched hangers including three wire from dry cleaners! You could say there are new owners without enough money to fix it up, but just throwing away 47 cheap china "decorative" items in the room, and all the plastic flowers would be a start. It costs nothing to throw things out!

Room tip: at another hotel
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank sharonharvardsquare
Dennis_and_Carol-ABH, Owner at Augustus Bove House, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2017

In regards to your review, may we first apologize for any lack of communication or misleadings given by us regarding our Historical Inn. Given that you are more comfortable with a more modern day atmosphere we can see why our Inn didn't suit your tastes. We are very proud of the efforts that we have taken to restore the property both inside and out, while maintaining the feel of Historical qualities that draw a number is people to our establishment. We wish that you had let us know of your concerns in person while you were staying with us.

Regarding Breakfast, We pride ourselves in offering our guests a wonderful homemade breakfast which is always able to be changed upon request per dietary needs, personal preference or otherwise. We offer freshly made danish, muffins, breads and fresh fruit as well as a variety of beverages, coffee and tea in addition to the main breakfast meal. As far as the bedding and room decor are concerned, we have personally gone through all of the bedding items here as well as purchased new items to accommodate the comfort of our guests. The rooms also boast many amenities that, again may not suit your personal preference but have been decorated to maintain the Historical Victorian feel of the 1900's. We urge you to please reconsider posting this negative review. We will be in contact with you to discuss this further.