Message from TripAdvisor:

“Grand Victorian Unit 401” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Victorian

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Orchard Beach
Grand Victorian
Marlborough
“Grand Victorian Unit 401”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

This was our first stay at Old Orchard Beach and for our first time, we rented Unit 401 of the Grand Victorian from Lynn Dubois. When we arrived at the hotel, an absolutely beautiful building in the heart of Old Orchard Beach, we were promptly greeted by two gentlemen in the parking lot ready to assist us with our luggage. By the time we had gotten to the door of the building we were greeted by the manager on duty that evening. They proceeded to help us with our luggage and took us up to our suite. As you can imagine, being first-timers, we had many questions and I found the staff at the hotel was always willing to answer our questions, as well as providing their input when so solicited.

We walked into our 2 bedroom suite and, as both the pictures and Lynn had said, the suite was impeccably decorated and everything in the suite was in perfect working order and all promised amenities existed. Our kitchen was fully equipped with all the appliances that a family might need for every occasion. The kitchen had a breakfast bar that seated four as well as a table that seated four. The layout of the suite was such that I could be in the kitchen and still be part of the conversation going on in the living room – wide open rooms which lead out on to the balcony. The master bedroom was extremely large, had a queen size bed, flat screen television and a luxurious full-size bathroom with a shower and whirlpool tub. There was also a door to the balcony from the master room as well. The second bedroom was also large and included twin beds with a large window overlooking the balcony.

The suite was clean, bright and equipped with everything that a family could need for a wonderful week at the beach from blankets and beach chairs to umbrellas and beach towels. We found that the location of the hotel proved to be perfect for our teenage children -- it provided all the entertainment necessary for them throughout the week. A great week was had by all!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Krazeroro

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Stowe, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

I booked a 3 bedroom condo on the 5th floor of the North tower ("penthouse" was the way it was described by the Apex Agent, Chris Kelley). Paid deposit of $750. in February and remainder, approximately $3,500. including tax and fees as specified before arrival. I thought I was renting from the building management, Apex. I dealt only with Chris Kelley, their agent, who I corresponded with by both telephone and e-mail prior to arrival. I prefer to use American Express to pay but she stated they did not accept American Express. She accepted VISA and MASTERCARD and I charged the entire cost to VISA card. We are grandparents of two young boys and stayed at this resort with our son and daughter-in-law and the boys (party of 6). Ms. Kelley told me our unit was a top floor 3 bedroom unit with nobody above us in the North tower facing away from the lights of the near by amusement park. That was accurrate information. However, she promised a king bed in the master bedroom, a queen bed in the second bedroom and a set of bunk beds in the third bedroom with a queen lower bunk and a single upper bunk. What we got was a king in the master as promised. The second bedroom did not have a queen bed as promised. It had a double (or "full")bed that was too small to sleep two adults comfortably. That bed had a queen size comforter on it and it was too big for the bed. The bunk bed had another full bed below with a matress approximately 4 inches thick. When you lie down on that bed, the iron bars under the mattress make it too uncomfortable to sleep on. There were two sleeper sofas in the living room. We ended up taking a mattress off one of the sleeper sofas and putting it on top of the metal bars so that our adult son could use that bed. The older grand son slept on the upper bunk using a folded up quilt to make the mattress useable and the younger grand son ended up sharing the double bed in the second bed room with his mother. The second bath had a tub/shower combo and the master bath had a walk-in shower. While the kitchen was adequately equipped, there was no kitchen or dining table with chairs. There was a high breakfast bar with tall bar stools. If your party wanted to eat as a family or play board games, the bar stool arrangement and kitchen counter were not useful. This unit was advertised as sleeping 8. It is not adequate for 8 people. The six of us took turns eating at the bar in the kitchen. Only one of the sofas was able to be used for seating since the "mattress" from the second sofa was being used as bedding for the bunk bed. The sleeper sofas would have been very uncomfortable to sleep on (we tried them before arriving at the above-described bedding arrangements and the thin mattresses did not provide a comfortable sleeping experience for anyone, including the youngest boy). We had planned to sit around a dining table to eat, play board games or enjoy family time in the evenings. The lack of any table prevented that. In addition, I was told we would have at least two television sets. What we got was one flat screen television in the living room that had a cable box that did not work. The manager tried his best to help out but we could get sound on only a few channels. We were told there were no spare TV's to swap out with ours and advised that some owners choose not to hook up the cable box. Although we did not get any premim channels, In the middle of the week, Time Warner came up and fixed the TV at the request of the front desk managers Ricky and Ryan. While the condo units next to ours had nice padded seats on the balconies, we had only plastic chair (no chaise lounge) that were favorite pit stops for the seagulls. There were not enough chairs on the balconies to accommodate our party. My husband has to be able to connect to the internet for his business. I was promised wireless internet was available in all units. The literature provided by Ms. Kelley promised internet in the unit. On arrival, we could not connect via wireless or ethernet cable. We were told that some owners agreed to leave their wireless internet connections unsecured so that guests could have access to the internet. The wireless connections we could bring up online were all secured (locked). My husband bought a router and other equipment at the Best Buy store in South Portland and loaned it to the manager so that he was able to get connected to the internet sitting in the lobby. The building apparently has enough steel and concrete to prevent the router from working in our unit. The manager told us that he planned to recommend that a router or other appropriate equipment be installed higher in the buildings since other guests had also complained. When paying top rates for a rental condo that promises reliable internet connections (about $500. per night for our 3 bedroom unit) one expects to have the amenities promised. The night we arrived at 9:30 p.m. (check-in is after 4 p.m.) after a long drive from Vermont, we found that our unit was not what Chris Kelley promised. The manager, Ricky, called Ms. Kelley and her loud phone conversation with him over his cell phone was audible throughout the kitchen area. She refused to speak to me, telling Ricky that she "was not going to speak to her" (meaning me) "because it was 9:30 p.m.". It was obvious that the manager was embarrassed by her rudeness being over-heard. At this point, I was told that Ms. Kelley only manages a few units in the building. She is NOT the building manager but works for Apex. I assume Apex is a realtor but since Ms. Kelley did not even have the courtesey to contact me during the week we were guests, I cannot confirm her actual relationship with Grand Victorian. We made the best of the week, which was of course pre-paid. If this had been a hotel, we would have checked out the same night we arrived.
This vacation would have been terrific and memorable if Chris Kelley had not provided inaccurate information and treated us - her clients- professionally. When I made my reservation, she was polite and very courteous. I had seen a previous reference to her being "rude" and a suggestion that people "not, not, not due business with her". I should have taken that comment to heart but based on my phone conversation with her and her prompt confirmation of receipt of my payment, I felt that someone had misjudged her. Once she had my payment, she did not even have the courtesey to talk to me on the phone. If you do not have a cell phone, you may want to buy one if you stay at the Grand Victorian. There were no telephones anywhere in our unit. We are seasoned travellers and have owned a villa that was part of a hotel rental pool in the Virgin Islands. We have lived in beach condos that we owned and rented in Florida and have served on the Board of Directors of several of these buildings. All rental units were inspected and owners were required to provide quality furniture and amenities. We also own several timeshares that insist on keeping their reputation intact by not allowing their owners to misrepresent a unit's contents. If someone represented a property I had a relationship with like Chris Kelley did, he or she would have been prevented from working as an agent or employee. In today's economy vacationers expect value for the dollars they spend on vacations more than ever. The internet allows us to do research, read reviews and pick our resorts as never before. Trip Advisor has become one of the best "go to" sites I use for booking vacations. Resort managers have access to reviews and can comment when they feel a reviewer has not provided accurate information. The next time I see a comment in a review that appears on Trip Advisor, I will not take it lightly. I would urge anyone planning to rent based on an internet search or advertusenebt make sure they are dealing with the actual management and not a person who may represent an owner of a few units in a building. The photos are pretty and the phone calls and materials provided by independent agents are sometimes misleading.
I asked the managers I met working at the Grand Victorian to convey my concern to the building owner and property management. This building is beautiful. What a shame they allow Chris Kelley and/or Apex to drive their guests away.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank mcm15
ApexBeach, Owner Apex Rentals at Grand Victorian, responded to this review, 18 August 2009
The Grand Victorian consists of 51 new and beautifully furnished condominiums directly on the ocean in Old Orchard. These condos are individually owned and owners furnish these condos based on their personal tastes and budgets as is the case with most rental condos. Apex Rentals nor any other company handling condos at the Grand Victorian for rent have the ability or permission from owners to remove beds or change out tables as this guest expected us to do at 10pm without authorization from the condo owner. At 10pm an Apex representative let the guest know she could contact the owner of the condo directly to discuss furniture modifications but there was nothing we at Apex could do for her without the authorization of the condo owner. We believe firmly that the vast majority of guests at the Grand Victorian have a wonderful time and will continue to return to the building since its luxury standards and high quality stand alone in Old Orchard Beach.
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

Went to the Grand Victorian in Old Orchard ME this summer. Nice condo but fairly loud. There are 2 aisles in the building. Be sure to ask for the one that is not facing the amusement park if you want to sleep well. And be sure NOT NOT NOT to do business with Chris Kelly for the rental. She is very rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank touristcanada
ApexBeach, Apex Rentals: Owner at Grand Victorian, responded to this review, 11 August 2009
These guests arrived at the Grand Victorian well in advance of their scheduled check in time and decided to park illegally blocking other guests and enter their condo prior to check in and without authorization. They had altered their official reservation agreement so that a condo sleeping 8 would allow a party of 14 to stay in one condo. The guests were upset when we gave them notice that they had to follow the standard parking, check in, and max occupancy rules so that all guests would have an enjoyable time while at the Grand Victorian. While we are unhappy that these guests did not have an enjoyable experience it was clear they felt the rules should not apply to them. The vast majority of our guests have a wonderful stay at the beautiful Grand Victorian and will be back for many more summers to come.