“QUAINT RESORT”

Waves Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Our tour group stayed at this motel for four nights. This is a quaint motel--not the best; however, we enjoyed staying here. Our room was clean, but we could not control the temperature on the air conditioner. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. They used one of their golf carts to transport one of our seniors to and from breakfast.

Room Tip: No exerior noise on the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 September 2017

I went there with my daughter and granddaughter for girls vac!!! The room we paid for was ocean front oe view depending on the front desk's opinion. I was referred to this hotel. The initial contact with front desk once I got to the room and saw it wasn't ocean front was all different explanations on beach view ocean view etc. well my 250.00 a nite room was the view of a parking lot and beach grass and cottages!!! Expressing my discontent they did issue me a 50.00 credit for each night. Once settlingin the room we noticed the carpets were beyond filthy, bed skirts the same. The kitchenette was also filthy!!! So what started out as a fun time for my daughter, granddaughter and me became a horrible vacation. on returning home I made several calls to the main office and was repeat lay told they call me back!! Which didn't happen and I called continuously until I reached Ken LaFayette who said he was head of human resources. He was very apologetic and he offered a gift certification to come back to any of there locations to give them another change. I told him I would call my daughter and see if that was acceptable and then called him back and left him a message that yes it would be!!! 2-3 weeks later I have heard nothing from him and I called today and was sent to voicemail.

Room Tip: Don't go there!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank babycakesponte
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Stayed at Waves for a long weekend. We had never been to Old Orchard Beach. We booked it based on the price and location. Room was clean and comfortable. The location is great. We parked the car and never used it again until we checked out. Everything is within walking distance. We are already thinking of returning next year. If we do, Waves will be the place we stay.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

The room was small. The floors were filthy. In our room as well as our next door friends . Told our leader, she told
Office. Nothing done. I took pictures and showed office. Problem corrected. However as PAYBACK cleaning crew turned heat on to full blast o the rooms . Like an oven when we returned at 9 PM that night. A wash cloth to clean bottom of my foot and my foot after my bath. Bathroom 5 feet from end of my bed.
Not a very clean place

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Booked this motel for labor day weekend. It is a motel, not a resort. It looks like they spend all their money making the lobby look like you're staying in a palace. The property itself is very run down and not kept up at all. I was concerned going upstairs with the way the steps looks, not structurally safe. The room was very tight and small for 2 adults and a 16yr old. We didn't go out on the balcony, it looked unsafe and very low railings. (Dangerous). We were literally bumping into each other. Definitely, not worth 200.00 plus dollars a night. No room service. When I called about that at 2pm, I was told that they have until 4pm to come. They never showed up. I had to make several calls for towels, toilet paper and again for room service. We bought food on our last night stay and woke up to all of it totally frozen and it had to be all thrown away. No microwave. The utensils were absolutely nothing to talk about. Upon checking out, I mentioned that we got no room service, we lost 70.00 worth of food. That, I was totally disappointed. The woman behind the desk could have cared less hearing it. I would never stay here again. The property is very run down and it's definitely not worth the 500.00 plus dollars that it cost me to stay there. Look at other motels, if you're planning a stay in Old Orchard Beach.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank jollyhappy234
Reviewed 29 August 2017

My fiancé and I stayed at The Waves, August 21-24th, during our annual 'End of Summer, local getaway."

We've stayed at four of the OOB motels in the past, with less than pleasant experiences. Most are very dated and old. Some are downright dives. The last four years we've opted to stay at all three of the nearby chain hotels in Saco and Biddeford. This year we decided to give OOB another try.

We did our research, checked Tripadvisor, and even came to walk around the property, peek into a few rooms and check the place out a few weeks before we came. We made our reservation at the front desk that day with Danika.

It was a little rustic, but it looked like it would be reasonable by OOB standards. The location is about 1/4 mile south of the busy center of town and the Pier. It was stellar! Directly on the beach, and away from the noise.

We booked a single King-bed room with full ocean view in Building D, Room 38.

When we arrived to check-in, there was a long wait. Only four people in front of us. As we watched the clock, 24 minutes passed before we got our key (An actual key, not a key card.) A Canadian couple in front of us immediately returned to the front desk minutes after getting their keys. I don't speak French, but it was clear they weren't satisfied with their room and were quite upset!

Perhaps I should have taken this as a sign for things to come? However, I figured they were in one of the the cheapest rooms, across the street by the railroad tracks without a view, and we'd booked the most expensive room, beachside, so no big deal. Ours will be fine!

Upon entering the room, we were greeted by the most outrageous stench. Not a slight mustiness, but a rank sickening odor that you'd have to smell yourself in order to understand. I've been in some rooms that were stinky before, but nothing like this!

The best way to describe it was, a skunky, sour, gassy smell, with overtones of Bandaid/sterile gauze and barn animals. It was strongest when you first entered the room. But could be smelt throughout. We're not sure if it was the carpets, the kitchenette sink drain, or the wall mounted AC? -which oozed brown water down the exterior wall of our building, where it puddled up outside the front door- (*See photo)

The carpet was suppose to be a light color beige, I think? However, it was almost black in spotty areas. (See photo) No way we were going to walk barefoot on that. It was disgusting!

Room was dated. Bathroom had new floor tile, but the oyster blue sink and bathtub/showe were vintage 1977. (See photo) They claim to have renovated, but the only things modern in the room wwere a brand new and exceptionally comfortable mattress, an extra large flatscreen T.V. (Other cheaper rooms still had tube TV's visible in the windows) new curtains, and a couple new lamps and a chair. The couch was tired, dingy, and the fabric was ripping along the bottom. To reach the controls on the A/C you had to climb up of the kitchenette countertop on your knees. During the day, the A/C struggled to keep the room cool. Even at full blast.

The appliances in the kitchenette were also vintage 1970's. (see photo) The sliding door to the patio was out of alignment and was difficult to close and lock. The safe was also broken. The room door was so flimsy and old, even when locked with the deadbolt, anybody could have kicked it in with a swift kick to the knob/lock area.

Come check-out day, we were glad to leave. Checkout is 10 a.m. My girlfriend had left early to go to work. At 9:35 a.m., I still had the DND sign on the door while I was in the bathroom taking care of business, when housekeeping started knocking. I had just barely managed to get my pants up and get to the door when housekeeper was making entry and not abiding by the DND sign on the door! I think I startled him as he came in? Was not happy with this. I had the DND sign up because I did not want anybody entering the room! How do I know they didn't enter when we were out with our money, credit cards and valuables out in plain view? Especially considering the safe didn't work!

At checkout, I was hoping they'd ask how my stay was? Instead, I didn't even get a thank you for spending almost $600 for three nights . Just a "You're all set!"

After reading some of the management replies on here to people who left similar reviews with negative feedback, I've come to the conclusion this place doesn't care, and won't accept responsibility for a run down motel. Some of the replies are the most unprofessional I've seen on TripAdvisor. All they seem to do is make excuses, deny, accuse people of lying, and show contempt towards paying guests who've voiced legit honest complaints after spending a lo of money for a sub par accommodation.

Instead of investing $100,000 on TVs (as some of their replies say they have) How about putting in new carpets, or at least have a commercial cleaning at least once per year? No excuses that it's the suntan oil on people's feet, and people walking on the assault streets and tracking it in. I've stayed at plenty of beachside hotels and have never seen carpets that nasty!

Next year we will go back to one of the chain hotels in Saco/Biddeford and drive less than ten minutes to the beach.

Make note of the 'No Refunds' sign at the front desk. They require three night stays. If you want out after one night, you're already down $150-200 for that night, plus the night you're leaving, because they won't let you cancel on short notice. You're essentially stuck here unless you want to lose some money. We didn't even bother try arguing. Just dealt with it.

To the management: Instead of firing off a snippy reply, how about you go up to room 38. Walk in, and take a whiff. Then look down at the carpet. Would you be satisfied with this room if you took a vacation with your family or significant other? If you say yes, than you're lying!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam81980
Reviewed 23 August 2017

I have been vacationing here for several years. The last three we have stayed in Cottage 76 right on the beach! The location, staff and value cannot be beat. Our cottage will sleep eight there were six of us so plenty of room. So wonderful to be able to wake up to the sunrise and to take my 3 1/2 year old great grand niece right down to the beach to play in the sand and surf! Very nice that this year they had two spaces for our cars so everyone could park right by the cottage. Already booked for next August!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family