All reviews black forest area trolley service camp store basketball court kids loved the pool bathrooms and showers definitely stay here again golf cart old orchard campground campers sites camping cornhole amenities laundry pits
Reviewed August 20, 2018

Very disappointed. When I called in and made the reservation, I asked how close Orchard Beach was. They said only a block. I realize now that the front road was called Orchard beach, but you would assume any quest would be asking for the beach on the ocean. When we got there I asked which way to walk to the beach and they said we'd have to drive. But they had a pool! We didn't drive over 3000 miles to swim in a pool. We came for the ocean. Most expensive campground on our whole trip from Wisconsin. Very small sites.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

Brought 4 teen boys 15-18 and they loved it. Basketball court, wiffleball field, badminton, volleyball, open field for soccer, pool, pool table, table tennis. VERY clean and friendly campground. We had an electrical issue with our camper and the maintenance guy came at 10 PM to help!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2018

This is beautiful, clean, and well maintained campground. The staff is extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome. We actually are booking for an additional two trips with them! Great area with lots to do!

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

This is a very well maintained camp resort with very wide RV spaces that are easy to park on and level! The sites are not on top of each other, and have an elevated fire pit. All roads are paved, gravel sites with grass. Some sites shaded/some open. Don’t worry if you can’t get satellite-excellent cable TV with plenty of channels. We had an open site (477) and no trouble getting satellite - plus, it was long enough to park our Suburban and 45ft MH! Note, sewer/pedestal at rear of lot, may want to consider not pulling all the way forward with RV, just sayin’! Nice pool/bathhouses/laundry/camp store. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. EXCELLENT location, has a trolley stop - limited parking in town. Plenty of things to do and see - for all ages! There are plenty of Lobster pounds and restaurants nearby - Lobster Claw (try the Shrimp Bloody Mary - wicked good!!!) and Ken’s are our favorites! Also, if you are in need of salon/spa services, I highly recommend Tulu in Biddeford! I needed lash fills while there, and was very pleased - yes, I go glamping!!!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2018

The site we were assigned was not large and was almost a 1/4 mile walk to the pool. My 72yo husband is a Viet Nam vet and suffers from a form of dementia brought on by his PTSD. On top of that he is very hard of hearing so we have to speak loudly for him to hear us. I have MS and consequently I suffer from night blindness so do not attempt night driving except as absolutely neccessary. We had booked the site for 3 nights. Our 6 yo grandson was also with us. All of this is revelevent because we were asked to leave because we spoke loudly and that my husband was acting "strangely".
The request came at 7:30pm and we were given an hour to pack up and leave or they were going to call the police. I tried to explain why those things were happening but was cut off in midsentence. I explained to them that it was 2.5 hour drive home, that my husband no longer drove and that I had great difficulty seeing at night. I asked if we could stay until the morning because of this and was told "Not our problem". You need to be out in an hour." I asked if they could help us locate another campground so I wouldn't have to drive 2-3 hours in the dark. Again the response was "Not our problem" I asked for a refund for the 2 days that were left on our reservation and was told "Absolutely not, just get out." The person delivering the message was rude and scared my grandson who was crying hysterically during this whole encounter. He was worried that we would be arrested if I was unable to get ready to leave, as I have to do everything myself. I have been camping for more than 50 years and have never encountered such rudeness or have been treated so unkindly. I guess if you are "normal" this would be a nice campground but I would recommend not getting a site in the Black Forest section.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Mandi C, Manager at Old Orchard Beach Campground, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2018

Dear Kinger2004,

Every year, Old Orchard Beach Campground serves thousands of guests of different backgrounds, ages, and life experiences - many of whom are active or retired military. We have staff members whose families are currently active duty soldiers serving within the United States and abroad. We also employ veterans. We are as appreciative of all their military service as we are of your husband's service to our country. Therefore, to state that our campground is unkind or inconsiderate of veterans is an egregious statement.

While it is important to us to protect our reputation and respond to your claims of mistreatment, we feel that publicly shaming you or your family for what really transpired is not beneficial to anyone. However, we want to be clear that age, status, or disability are not reasons why we would ask anyone to leave our campground. It is always about behavior and the impact that this behavior is having on other campers and their families. Nor would we ever ask anyone to leave without fair warning.

We also want to clarify campground logistics. When an individual books a reservation online, she or he has the option to select the section of the campground where one wants to stay. The Black Forest is the newest section of our campground. The sites are a minimum of 2500 square feet and are spacious. It is a few minutes walk to the pool; however, there is parking closer to the pool for guests who don't want to or can't walk. We also have additional pull-through sites in other areas of the campground that are closer to the pool.

Old Orchard Beach Campground has been owned and operated by the same family for more than four decades. They too have children and understand the value of a positive camping experience -the type of experience we want for all who stay at Old Orchard Beach Campground.

Regards,