“Spacious Grand Suite” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Old Orchard Beach
Herndon, VA
“Spacious Grand Suite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We took advantage of a winter special at the Sea Cliff House & Motel. Our family of 5 stayed in the Grand Suite on our recent trip to visit family. The Grand Suite has 2 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, another half bath, full kitchen, dining room, family room, and even a sun room. Very spacious with loads of storage and room to relax.

The only negative I have to say about the Sea Cliff Grand Suite is the state of the furniture and comforters on the beds. The family room furniture has seen better days. Same with all the comforters on the beds. Countless vacationers have taken a toll on the appearance of the furniture and bedding. But on the owners behalf, I did notice they were using the off-season to improve other rooms at the Sea Cliff, so they do make an investment in their property.

I rated the "sleep quality" as terrible only because I don't like a firm mattress, and the mattresses in the Grand Suite are very very firm.

The staff that we met from time of reservation to check-in, to the cleaning staff, were all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Entrance to the Grand Suite is in the pool area, might be noisy and not private enough for some.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fran P, Manager at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and wanted to let you know that we change out the comforters in the Spring or Summer. Yes, you are correct when you say that they take a lot of wear and tear. The furniture does get changed out and we were waiting for the Spring/Summer season to change out some of the pieces in the Grand Suite.

Yes, renovations are in progress and our 2 newest suites will be completed in April. The PH is now a 2-bedroom suite with a kitchen, full bath and 2 private balconies. The Saco Bay Suite will be a spacious suite that will also have a kitchen and private balconies, overlooking the ocean. Both suites will have fireplaces, also.

Thank you for visiting with us and taking the time to write a review. As far as the mattresses, well that is is tough call. Sorry that we could not offer a softer mattress in the suite. We do have pull out sofas in there and perhaps that could have been better suited to your sleeping needs. (Although why sleep on a pull out sofa bed when you have your choice of a king, queen or 3 twin beds? We hope that you visit us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

My fiance and I visit the Cliffside each year during the off-season. This particular year, we decided to have an extended stay, which ended abruptly due to the following comments:

I'm not sure what has happened to this place over the last few years, but something has gone terribly wrong.

During our latest experience, the management team (Fran and Alex) have little knowledge or respect for customers and/or customer service. Cursing and rude behaviors are not uncommon. Tempers flair high easily, and the owner doesn't seem to have much control. Violence was not out of the question. This is NOT how this place used to be. The police ended up getting involved, which is so unfortunate, as we have made this place such a memory for ourselves. This is NOT how I wanted to spend my mini-vacation. We ended up finding an almost magical hotel - closer to things that was much better and for a cheaper price. Up until this incident we had NEVER even considered looking elsewhere - this WAS our place. But because we had a few issues, Alex and his father threw a fit - with violence, hospitality and anger.

Having stayed here so long, I've never thought to re-check the tripadvisor reviews where there were warnings about this sort of thing. Hospitality is not the appropriated place for people of this nature.

I'm incredibly sad to see this place go downhill. It's been a tradition for years that we've made ourselves. I really wish them the best, and hope that they can work out whatever internal issues they've got going on. This WAS a great place, but it has VERY MUCH declined.

If you do decide to stay here, I would consider getting ALL the details over the phone. The website is incredibly inaccurate. WAY OUT OF DATE. So when you call, make sure you know what you will and will not receive to ensure that you get what you are promised and what is expected. I would also recommend talking to the owners directly, just to make sure nothing like what happened to me happens to you (especially if you are travelling from far away). Perhaps making reservations directly through them would be helpful to ensure a pleasant, more relaxing stay.

I won't lie, I am NEVER, EVER going back to this place. There are many other wonderful places near by. I wouldn't wish the emotional burden these people had upon anyone. This is a family run business with a lot of family issues.

Working with small businesses everyday, I can see that this one needs some help.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank staycationer207
Fran P, Manager at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
On behalf of the owner, I would like to say that this write up is completely unjust. Why one person would take time out to write such a report, i do not understand. The facts are misrepresented in this review and I can assure any guest, (past, present or future) that this is not the manner in which the Sea Cliff House treats their guests. The website is updated and as a matter of fact, 2 suites are being built (as I type). The owners have been here for over 30 years and have a reputable business that they take great pride in. We will not address anything directly in this particular review because it is a case of sour grapes. We just want the readers to know that this family has been here for over 30 years because of the exceptional care and customer service that they give to each guest.

Travellers are raving about these Old Orchard Beach hotels

Island Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Seacliff is a well-kept, reasonably priced motel right on the beach. Our room had a separate bedroom, a kitchenette and a futon couch/bed. The manager and 2 young men (maybe her sons?) were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and well equipped with the essentials. Have stayed here twice, both times in early September, and enjoyed the warm weather and the lack of crowds. We always stop at the first Maine welcome center on our way up from Boston and pick up a traveler's coupon magazine. Seacliff usually has a coupon in it (for walk-ins only, no reservations) for a great price (ours was $59/night). Haven't been there in the summer - I imagine it's much more expensive and busy!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue K
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

I am staying at the Seacliff now and we've had such a great time so far, but it never ceases to amaze me how many people are in the world that like to ruin it for others. I saw some people who were staying here too who were clearly shady, because they caused more trouble than anyone should ever have to contend with. They made it bad for the rest of us who just want to enjoy our time. The seacliff is not just an adequate place, it is a really nice motel and you can tell that they care about the place with all of the work they do. It is clean, decorated, and really nice quality. I felt bad for the managers because they had to deal with a bad customer who obviously just wanted something for nothing and when they didn't get their way, they tried to make trouble for the motel.

I was there and I am here to tell you that this is a nice place. Don't get me wrong, if you want to stay near the ocean on the coast of Maine, expect cold temperatures outside. With that said, the view of the ocean from the seacliff is spectacular, the heat works really well, so you won't freeze, and it is a very nice place with super people working here. This was my second visit, once in the summer and we liked it so much, we were thrilled to find out that it was year round and could come back for a little holiday weekend getaway. I can't think of a better place to ring in the new year and I hope that the owners or managers of the place don't get discouraged by the sheister customer that was here. Heck, the managers were much nicer to them than they deserved, even though everyone could see that the customer was just looking to create problems. They left and now it is peaceful and nice again. Kudos to the seacliff for being good sports about it and for having a really quality place on the ocean!!

Room Tip: This has fitness center on the list, but that there isn't one here, so the rating doesn't ap...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fran P, Owner at Sea Cliff House Motel, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
We appreciate your kind comments are terribly sorry about the inappropriate behavior that you witnessed by one of our guests.
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

My family was booked at the Seacliff the weekend of the hurricane that hit the east coast. Because we knew a few days in advance that the storm was coming, we called and asked if they would be willing to change our dates. We didn't expect a refund, because most places don't do that, but we didn't want to cancel. We still wanted our vacation, but we didn't want to be away from home not knowing how much damage there might be.The Seacliff staff was great and they were more than willing to accomodate us by changing the dates to a time that we could enjoy more. Because of work, we had to wait until recently, but we got some nice indian summer days. We couldn't have asked for better. That's the kind of customer service that makes a difference to us. Not to mention, it was a nice place that we will book the next time for sure!

Room Tip: If you ask the people in the office about places to eat, they know all of the best restaurants in th...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kyazze F
Lyme
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

My family and I have been vacationing in Southern Maine for nearly 25 years. This is my first vacation staying at the Sea Cliff House and I was a little unsure of what I should expect. We stayed in the Grand Suite and I was in awe from the second we stepped inside. The desk clerk was kind, courteous, and very helpful in suggesting dinner and breakfast dining. She escorted us to the suite and showed us how everything worked. The suite was huge, with plenty of room for 10 people. It was in immaculate condition. I could not find one thing that was not spotless. All rooms were beautifully furnished. The kitchen was gorgeous! The suite was fully stocked, even had extra towels, blankets, and comfy pillows.The kitchen was stocked with everything you would possibly need. There was even a hidden washer and dryer. I have no idea why the Sea Cliff House has some negative reviews. I could not find one negative thing. We loved our stay and will be booking a week in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask the desk clerk for the room type that would best meet your needs. Our suite was quiet and we co...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NBMFD13
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

They have an excellent hot tub and pool for the fall of the year. Comfortable beds.

• Stayed October 2011