“What a lousy place”
Review of TIQA Cafe & Bakery

TIQA Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #387 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Description: TIQA Cafe & Bakery at the Castle in Deering Oaks Park is open daily from 7 a.m. to dusk. The Cafe serves homemade pastries, egg sandwiches, fruit salads, parfait and coffees at breakfast, and soups, salads, appetizers, kefta, kabobs, shawarma, sandwiches and desserts throughout the day. Beverages include Coffee By Design TIQA special blend, tea, water and sodas, as well as beer and wines.
Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

So unfortunate has so much potential instead it is a total disaster. Went here for lunch. First asked if they had pastries..: they didn't. Fine. Few minutes to review menu, only person there with person behind cashier watching me reviewing the menu. After 3 minutes making a decision to find out that they don't have any food at all. Grumpy manager sweeping the deck. No friendliness whatsoever. What a total shame and waist of use if this location. Portland should rethink.

Reviewed September 18, 2016

We went to the terrific farmers' market in Portland, and couldn't pass this adorable bakery and cafe by, but we should have. The space is challenging, I get that. However, there's an outdoor component with an employee marooned there with no way to send word back to the main area. Randomly, some items are indoors, some outdoors.

I ordered a hot tea, a lemonade and two croissants. After paying, the tea took over ten minutes for them to make—I kept wondering what had happened to it. The counter people inside were sury and worked very, very slowly. Also, and I've never had this over a lifetime of ordering tea, they set it to steep inside the counter area, without explanation, on their time, with me just waiting around, rather than, oh, I don't know, giving me a tea bag or loose tea sachet so I could determine how strong I want it?

Cream was outside, except the poor stranded guy out there had run out. Back inside where what seemed to be the head woman told me again that it was kept outside, unable to fathom that the problem might be supplies, and poor communication.

We had to go outside for the lemonade, and the urns, while pretty, cannot fit a cup under the spigot. Lastly, we got the croissants, and they were heavy and doughy.

Beautiful historic little building, but the business needs a lot of work.

DeenandCarol, Owner at TIQA Cafe & Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2016

Hi B,

I would be lying if i told you that I don't know what you are talking about. We are working extremely hard to get this right - we have been open for about two months and the space, logistics, administration have been challenging to say the least.

Appreciate your feedback and promise to make this better (we have gone a few steps in that direction) hope you give us another chance.

Reviewed September 1, 2016

Great outdoor seating over looking deeming oaks park. Music is intense and loud I think trying to cover traffic sounds. Plenty of parking and the restaurant is clean. They have corn hole and horse shoes to play great afternoon happy hour place. It's self service and they have beer and wine. Extremely small menu..homemade potato chips were great. Hummus had way too much cumin for me to eat. They have 6-8 sandwich with heavy middle eastern influence and some ice creams and bakbkas and coffee. Cox census on sandwiches when I asked the rest of my party is absolutely flavorless and I had to agree with what I had which was the muffuletta which I thought was virtually impossible for it not to taste like anything...it was almost as if they washed the olives in water for the olive salad so it didn't have a chance at giving the rest of the poor sandwich flavor. But I would go back for beer and chips and the view.

DeenandCarol, Owner at TIQA Cafe & Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2016

Thank you for your feedback and sorry the sandwiches were not up to snuff.

I can assure you - done right - which I regret didn't happen in your case, we can find you a sandwich that you will love. Please feel free to ask for me the next time you come in - your not leaving till I find you a sandwich you love.

Reviewed August 28, 2016 via mobile

Funky little place just on the outside of Deering Oak Park. Super close to the heart of Portland. Great find as we were on a little asking adventure. Great iced latte! Even some beverages for the kids. TIQA has plenty of outside seating but is limited inside. They also have a few games located on the lawn to enjoy.

Thank you for your feedback and kind review.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2016 via mobile

So happy that we stopped here on our way north on 295. Delicious lunch and lovely patio views of Deering Park. The food is as fresh as the restaurant's, and the pomegranate mint lemonade is highly recommended! A new Portland tradition. Thanks Team Tiqa.

DeenandCarol, Owner at TIQA Cafe & Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2016

Thank you for the kind words. We hope you stop by again.

Carol & Deen