“Great hole in the wall!”
Review of Vientiane Market

Vientiane Market
Ranked #257 of 635 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Reviewed September 14, 2017

Looking for a quick bite, my airbnb host suggested this place, which was only a mile and a half away. From the outside looks like simple market, which it is.

A friendly hello greeted my entrance. Menu had classic thai food, so ordered spring rolls and yellow curry. Sat down to wait. Fun to watch the interactions with what are obviously locals that come in all the time for take out. Greetings included names and "how are yous." Nice.

The spring rolls were huge and fresh. Could only eat 1, waiting for the curry. It was the perfect spicy. Could have used a bit less potatoes, but was a generous size for just one, so I ate around them.

It is a market, with a few tables for those waiting for an order. I ate there because I didn't want to take it back to my airbnb room, and was enjoying watching all of the interactions.

One little note ... they added a small piece of cardboard at the bottom of the plastic bag which was nice so the curry didn't move around and get messy. They have obviously been around a while and know what works.

Reviewed April 27, 2017

I haven't tried the Thai food in New York but this is the best Thai restaurant I have found, to date. I love their pad thai, full of spice and flavor excellent portions for a reasonable price. I'll be back, oh yeah, I'll be back.

Reviewed March 10, 2017 via mobile

This is one of the only places we go for our Pad Thai. Never had a bad experience. We get take out but there are three big tables in the store for eating. They also have a large selection of things to buy to make your own specialty food.

Reviewed December 15, 2016

We've been taking out at Vientiane for over 15 years now and were never disappointed.I would say this is the best family run Thai food in Maine .Thank you Vientiane and see you this Saturday again !!!

Reviewed April 7, 2016

I have been here a few times now and they never disappoint! I tend to order Chicken Pad Thai and it can't get better than this.

Been to Vientiane Market? Share your experiences!