“Tasty and varied food, lovely staff & serrvice, family-friendly”
Review of Babylon Restaurant

Babylon Restaurant
Ranked #178 of 605 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Description: Babylon Restaurant serves authentic Middle Eastern Food from our family's recipes. Our goal is to bring authentic Middle Eastern food to Portland, Maine. All of our dishes are made with Halal meat and all of our dishes are made with high quality ingredients. At Babylon Restaurant, customers will find authentic Middle Eastern and Iraqi food, good service at a reasonable price.
Reviewed 15 August 2016

We've been heare before and have always found the food to be excellent, varied, and tasty, with very good service. This time we tried the buffet, and even though the food was not as freshly prepared as ordering off the menu (since prepared ahead and kept hot) it was still very good. We had two little ones with us, and the staff were very tolerant of their behavior. It's a very family-friendly place, and indeed we've often seen local Muslim families eating here..It's a very good option for groups, especially if there are vegetarians as there are so many vegetarian options. Love the hummus, love the pita bread, excellent cold salads on the buffet. There are children's prices for the buffet, varying depending on the age (under 3 is less)..

1  Thank pemquid

Reviewed 5 July 2016

wonderful fine. buffet looked excellent but we got wraps to go very tasty an well prepared food. the pita is better than any I've had . wonderful options for vegetarians

1  Thank JAugustWest
Reviewed 13 April 2016

I was visiting a friend in Portland and she asked if I wanted Afghani food. Since I had never tried Afghani food, I said YES! We were in a hurry so we ordered takeout over the phone and went to pick it up. The restaurant is large and decorated with beautiful Afghani furnishings. They offer a buffet with a mix of familiar and new mediterranean delights: smooth hummus with garbanzo beans on top and delicious pitas, Baba Ghanoush, falafel, and Iraqi Biryani, which I wasn't familiar with, but am so glad I tried. This is a dish served with rice, spices and onion, peas, potatoes, and raisins. I added chicken to my order and received two large and perfected cooked chicken legs.

The employees were clearly family members and they were warm and welcoming. It was a delight and I will definitely try it again when I am in Portland. I'm happy I now know what Afghani food is - delicious!

1  Thank AprilSalter
Reviewed 14 March 2016

This place serves a big selection of delicious Middle Eastern dishes, not easy to find in Portland, Maine! Friendly servers, reasonable prices and plenty of parking. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 19 January 2016

Received a warm welcome from the charming hostess at this family run middle eastern/Ethiopean restaurant. Tasted a sampling of finger foods, including the spinach pie, veggie, meat and chicken sambuses, which were the perfect crunchy, mildly spicy accompaniment for the comforting home made tasting soup. The baklava was much less sweet than expected and a bit dry, but the flavor and texture grew on me. Good with tea. Look forward to trying the shwarma and other main courses