“A Relaxing Retreat”
other travellers have booked this property
Kitchen View Living Room
Bathroom
City View
View towards Deckette
Walkway to Courtyard
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

leeinnyc8...
New York City, New York
“A Relaxing Retreat”
Reviewed October 10, 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

My friends and I came to Portland to celebrate my birthday and to getaway from the hustle and bustle of our regular routines. The house is located just outside the downtown area on one of the main streets. It was close enough to walk to everything, but located in a mainly residential neighborhood, so it was pretty quiet.

The apartment itself is exactly as it looks in the pictures. My friends loved the kitchen and snapped photos of it to keep in mind for their own places. I loved all the reclaimed wood furnishings. It felt like a country home. The owners definitely had a sense of humor and touch of whimsy when decorating the place. There was the drawing of the moose and the moose "poop" and the tiny yellow chickens in the shower. I liked that there were plenty of hooks all over to hang our belongings. Since it is located on the top floor, the roof is angled and creates interesting spaces and angles in the apartment. We really felt at home here. On our first day, we were pretty tired, so we ended up falling asleep in the living room in the afternoon sun.

My only issue was that the two twin beds in the smallest bedroom were really uncomfortable. It's best to go with close friends or as couples so you can bunk up in the two larger beds. A couple of things to note, even though it wasn't an issue for us, the stairs up to the 3rd floor are steep and there are no curtains in the living and kitchen areas.

I didn't meet the owners but found them friendly and quick over email and phone. When I asked for late check-out because I didn't want to carry all my new purchases around the city before my flight, they checked the rental schedule and allowed me to stay for a few more hours. I would definitely stay here again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The decor and furnishings
Liked least: the twin beds
Travelling group: Friends
Peter S
“Comfortable, convenient, and creative!”
Reviewed September 18, 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Stayed here with my fiance, a long time friend of hers, and another couple. The three girls were bridesmaids in a wedding in the downtown Portland area and this could not have been a more convenient location to stay. We were able to have our own place away from the high-energy activity of the bridal party, but still be close enough to walk everywhere. We didn't even need a rental car for a 3 day trip to the area, which is amazing given the many locations (I must have visited at least 20 restaurants/bars in 3 days). Not only is there a great coffee shop and convenience store around the corner, but the Rising Tide brewery or Novare Res Bier Cafe are both within 10-15 minutes walking, and we were only two blocks from the beautiful cathedral where the couple was wed. But that's enough on convenience. You get it.

As for comfort, I rarely find a bed that gives me as good a rest as my giant memory foam at home, but I fell asleep with no problems, and other guests reported the same. Everything was very cozy without being too small, the furniture was comfortable, and everything was very clean and in good working condition.

And creativity--this is the WOW factor here. The hosts left notes about everything everywhere. In some ways, this could come off as very Type A or overbearing, but this was not the case. They were purely helpful, with good tips on the area or for going out, and with great information on the place overall. And the notes all had a common "theme" with the personal handwriting touch accenting the creatively decorated apartment. I can't even describe it to it's full justice.

Stop reading my review. Just rent the place. You won't regret it.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
342HVMC
Halifax, Canada
“Charming...”
Reviewed September 12, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Lovely place for informal and relaxing "end of a busy day " accommodation. We were able to live in this apartment for 5 days in comfort. Wifi and kitchen (well stocked with utensils) were a bonus. Picture on website doesn't do justice to the bathroom. It worked well for 5 people. We would choose this place again.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Onecub
“Great apartment near downtown Portland, Maine.”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Great super clean apartment 5 minutes from downtown Portland and 3 minutes to the eastern promenade. Nice full kitchen plus a lot of little touches that made our stay very enjoyable.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Moneypenn...
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect home base for our trip to Portland!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

We had a wonderful stay here. The apartment is lovely and well equipped. Great location, easy walk into Old Town and to lots of restaurants. It was so nice to come back to such a comfortable place at the end of the day. My husband, my father, my 2 year old and I stayed here and loved it! We've been to Portland many times, but staying here was much better than staying in a hotel.

Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
CFTucson
Tucson, Arizona
“Clean, Comfortable, Good Location”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Four of us stayed here to attend a training course. This lovely flat/apt in a neighborhood gave us extra elbow room and privacy. The kitchen is very well equipped and completely updated. Beds are comfy. Had trouble with the lock and we easily got a hold of Coralie and Greg and it was fixed promptly. 2 flights of stairs so you need to be able to manage up and down without an elevator. Light and airy with lots of windows. Lots of humorous/unique touches in the apt that kept us smiling. Walking distance to Commerical st and the wharf, the east end Promenade and to the shops above the wharf. Try Gilberts Seafood stew, the sunset ferry tour, Ottos down the street for pizza. Can be a little noisy, cars and buses, until 10 pm if bedroom windows are open, but not much of a problem. Thanks for wonderful place! Would stay here again.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Travelling group: Friends
tamang3
Boston, Massachusetts
“funky space w/ hardwood floors & a killer kitchen”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 for a stay in December 2013

We were in Portland visiting our son and needed a place that would welcome dogs. Happily, Coralie and Gregory's lovely and spacious apartment was available. Gregory's beautiful mirrors handcrafted from salvaged wood were in almost every room and his quirky but extremely thoughtful touches were everywhere.

The kitchen was outfitted w/ everything we needed to make a Christmas meal (love the counters and the backsplash!) and the beds were very comfortable. So much nicer than a hotel. They also most kindly provided us w/ a 6 ft. Charlie Brown tree for us to decorate for Christmas(!)

We went to the Eastern Promenade nearby every morning for dog walks and stopped at the Hilltop Cafe for coffee on the way. A very friendly place w/ superb muffins. The weather was pretty bad almost the whole time we were there (we arrived in an ice storm) so we didn't walk as much as we normally would have but downtown was an easy 3/4 mile walk away.

Only wish there were treads on the stairs up to the apartment as they were slippery in wet weather.

We had a great time and will be back!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The kitchen, the bathroom and the bedroom
Liked least: The painted stairs are steep and need treads.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Large groups
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing