“What a Disappointment!”
Review of Old Port Sea Grill

Old Port Sea Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Port Sea Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 626 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Custom House St.
Description: TO VIEW OUR CURRENT MENU, please visit our website. The Old Port Sea Grill, opened in the fall of 2002, is located in the heart of Portland's historic Old Port district. Our modern interior features a custom concrete bar, a large lounge area and a dining room that can accommodate up to 60 guests and features a 250 gallon salt water fish tank. Our seafood driven menu focuses on a variety of local and imported fresh fish and shellfish, with an emphasis on east coast cold water oysters and other raw bar offerings. We pair that with a food-friendly wine list, local craft-style beers on draft and an extensive cocktail program to make for an exciting dining experience.
Reviewed September 27, 2017 via mobile

We traveled to Portland Maine to enjoy the leaves and lobster. Upon arrival at 5:30, the happy hour was in full swing in the bar but the dining room only had one other diner. That should have been a sign that this place is not too popular.

We had a great server. She was pleasant and helpful.

The atmosphere was not so great. Trying to enjoy dinner while the manager was busy loudly booking a baby shower brunch nearby was not pleasant. There's an old restaurant saying that staff should be seen but not heard. Hmm.

The sales presentation was completed and the manager moved to the bar where we could hear him telling stories to other guests. He is loud!

The $55 market price Lazy Lobster dinners arrived. The hot lobster meat was cold..The squash and the Brussel sprouts were not cooked tender and were too tough to cut.

Our server was great offering to bring us something else. We asked for more bread but passed on the veggies. We ate the lobster. I have had more tender lobster in Seattle.

There was no sign of the manager checking on meals. He continued to talk in the bar. I was waiting for him yo ask us about our meal as we departed. No such luck. The restaurant was still empty as we left at 6:30.

High prices, poor food, a loud manager, and a great server. That's what you get at The Old Port Sea Grill.

Oldportseagrill, General Manager at Old Port Sea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2017

Let me start by personally offering you my sincerest apologies. Admittedly, I do have a loud voice. Your feedback is duly noted.

I also apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with your dinner. But I am happy to hear that your server did everything they could to meet your expectations.

And I am sorry I did not have a chance to check in on your table. I do try to engage as many guests as I can, but I am not always able to touch every table. Yes, the bar was busy and that is why I was there supporting my staff. Unfortunately, it was to your detriment. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Portland. All the best to you.

Reviewed September 24, 2017

This restaurant is next door to the Hilton Garden Inn on Commercial Street. We ordered a couple of lobster rolls and they were really excellent. Lots of lobster meat with no filler, just sitting on some lettuce in the bottom of the roll.

The market price on Sept 24th 2017 was $25 for the lobster roll which isn't bad. The rolls came with a good size portion of fries.

I love our lobster rolls too - especially that we use the entire lobster (including the whole tail) on that tasty brioche roll. I am so happy you had a great lunch!

Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

Were looking forward to an evening to catch up with friends we haven't seen in a long time. Arriving at the restaurant the noise level made hearing the hostess very difficult. We requested a corner table which was provided however we were informed that in about 15 minutes a large group would be arriving. We requested an outside table, even though it was cool, to be able to hear and had an enjoyable evening.

The service, food and ambulance right on Commercial Street was pleasant. I had the fish and chips and it was excellent. My wife had the lobster pasta and enjoyed it thoroughly.

If a loud restaurant is not your ideal setting them inside is not for you. Request an outdoor table.

Oldportseagrill, General Manager at Old Port Sea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2017

Yes, that night you came in, it was pretty loud. On weekends, the restaurant does tend to get busy, and depending on type of crowd we are hosting, the noise level can be affected. That is just the nature of the beast.

I am glad that we were able to accommodate you by seating you at one of our patio tables, and also happy to hear that our hostess forewarned you of the large party that would be arriving shortly.

So, with that said, I apologize for the noise but am also very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and service. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

We went here many years ago and decided to try it again. Food and service were very good back then and still are. We had the crab cakes, buttermilk fried chicken and the pan seared halibut. All were delicious. The crab cakes were the best we've ever had.

Oldportseagrill, General Manager at Old Port Sea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words! We love what we do here, and I am happy it shows. Cheers!

Reviewed September 13, 2017

The food is superb...everything you want when you come to Maine for the seafood. Efficient service, a bit pricy but delicious.

Thank you for that great review!