“Just Not Great!”
Review of Old Port Sea Grill

Old Port Sea Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Port Sea Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 606 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Custom House St.
Description: TO VIEW OUR CURRENT MENU, please visit our website. The Old Port Sea Grill, opened in the fall of 2002, is located in the heart of Portland's historic Old Port district. Our modern interior features a custom concrete bar, a large lounge area and a dining room that can accommodate up to 60 guests and features a 250 gallon salt water fish tank. Our seafood driven menu focuses on a variety of local and imported fresh fish and shellfish, with an emphasis on east coast cold water oysters and other raw bar offerings. We pair that with a food-friendly wine list, local craft-style beers on draft and an extensive cocktail program to make for an exciting dining experience.
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Reserved for 4 at 6:45PM. Arrived on time and seated immediately at a great table with window overlooking Comm'l St. and harbor.
Service was efficient and attentive but impersonal!
Apps of fried clam strips were tender, spicy and tasty; mussels were excellent, nicely seasoned in a tomato broth.
Mains: lobster roll was tender, loaded with meat and brioche roll was perfect; the1 1/2# lobster came with shell uncracked and was very salty, the accompanying brussel sprouts were bitter and unseasoned (didn't eat them!).
Ambiance was good, decor modern simple and good blend with historic building.
For the price I would look elsewhere next time in Portland.

Oldportseagrill, General Manager at Old Port Sea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Sorry you did not find your experience to be outstanding. We strive to give professional, warm, and knowledgeable service. We do season our food, but I understand if it was not seasoned enough to your liking. As far as the lobster, we do serve it uncracked - many guests enjoy the experience of cracking into a fresh Maine lobster. With that said, we are happy to crack your lobster upon request. We also offer a twin lazy lobster entree, in which we remove all the meat from the lobster for you.

Anytime your experience falls short of expectations, please let your server or a manager know. Your satisfaction is our goal, and we will do all we can to make sure you have a wonderful dinner.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

The Front Porch would like to thank everyone at the Old Sea Port Grill for a fabulous time and dining experience.
We couldn't have asked for more.
You made sure all 35 of us were tended to with excellent service, delicious food and an inviting atmosphere.
From our house to your house, thank you!
The Front Porch

Oldportseagrill, General Manager at Old Port Sea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2017

We really enjoyed having you in for your staff party that evening, and we hope to do it again sometime!!

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We had been here a number of years ago and had a good meal so decided to return. We started with the large seafood sampler which is very expensive but was delicious- especially the shrimp and the lobster. My husband liked the oysters and clams. Then, I had the halibut with farro and my husband had the grilled scallops. Our entrees were tasty except that the halibut was too dry for my taste. I understand from the waitress that the chef cooks it well to avoid the risk of parasites but I should have ordered something else. We were finally served bread (unlike another reviewer) but it was served while we were eating the seafood sampler and at that point we really didn't want it. We didn't order dessert because nothing on the menu appealed to us- I appreciate seasonality but we don't care for spice or pumpkin and tiramisu didn't go with the rest of the meal. After any meal I think chocolate is nice but it wasn't an option. All in all, pleasant, if expensive.

Oldportseagrill, General Manager at Old Port Sea Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thank you for your review. The bread issue has been addressed with my staff, and in the future, I assure you it will be served BEFORE the appetizers.

As far as your halibut, yes, we do make sure it is cooked through, but our chef does his best to make sure it is still moist. I apologize if this was not the case with your entree.

The next time you are in, I hope you will introduce yourself to me. I promise you a much more outstanding experience in the future.

Justin

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

My wife & I stopped in for lunch as we were running some errands in the local area. The place was well lit & looked pretty new inside upon entry. We were promptly seated by the hostess. Eventually a waitress made her way to our table & dropped off menus. While we perused the menus I ordered a glass of wine & my wife decided to just have water. The waitress returned 5 minutes later to take our order (wine had still not shown up). My wife ordered a cob salad & asked how much it would be to place lobster on it & was told to add $23. Whole 1-1/2lb lobster was on the menu for $25. Nonetheless she ordered the salad with lobster & requested NO cheese & dressing on the side, due to dietary restrictions. I ordered a 1/2 dozen oysters & the crab cakes. When I asked about the oyster options it became apparent the waitress knew nothing about what they had on the menu. I settled on ones that appeared to be medium size according to the limited info I could drag out of the waitress. The waitress seemed to have a great memory as she didn't write anything down regarding our order. Ten minutes later the glass of wine still hadn't show up at the table. I was just about to go to the bar and order one there & noticed the laxidazial waitress finally remembered that she had forgotten and was headed to the bar. The wine & oysters showed up about the same time. Even though the waitress had told me the oysters were on the medium size they were actually very small. Tasted ok, nonetheless. 5-10 minutes later my wife's salad & the crab cakes arrived. Immediately we noticed the greens were drenched in dressing, even though it had been requested on the side. There was a mountain of cheese, even though it had been requested that none be on the salad. There was approximately 6 oz. of lobster on the side. I had suggested my wife send it back & have the salad remade with the dressing on the side & no cheese as had been originally requested. She was willing to wait another 20-30 minutes & decided to make due with what she had been given. I proceeded to eat the two crab cakes, which were average at best. The waitress stopped by & asked if we needed anything else. I ordered another glass of wine, however by the time it showed up we were done with our meal. She seemed uninterested & could care less. We certainly won't be recommending this place & have no intentions of ever returning.

Needless to say, I am extremely disappointed to hear about your experience. We support thorough training of our staff and try to create an interesting and exciting environment. Clearly, we failed in this aspect. I assure you that I will be investigating this further and will take appropriate actions to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. If you would like to discuss the matter further, I invite you to email me or call me at the restaurant. I take these matters very seriously.

Best Regards,
Justin

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

I ordered my Cobb salad with dressing on the side and no cheese.

The server didn’t take note of this and my salad arrived drenched in their recommended dressing and cheese was included. Thankfully, the cheese is in large cubes on the side so it’s easy to avoid. The dressing they provide for their Cobb salad is horrible by the way. Bad flavor and doesn’t add anything to the salad. I strongly recommend getting a different dressing entirely.

My husband ordered the oysters which were good. He also ordered crab cakes and they were nothing to write home about. His wine, no kidding, took AT LEAST 10 minutes to be delivered each time. The second glass was well after he had finished his meal so he had nothing to enjoy the last part of his meal with. It wasn’t crowded in the restaurant either.

Not worth the money to dine here. Many other great restaurants nearby.

I believe I have already addressed the review left by your lunch companion, so I don't want to be redundant here. But I assure you that I am investigating the matter further and invite you to call or email me at the restaurant.