“Super-duper”

Ranked #7 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Super-duper”
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We booked this at the last minute and were so lucky to get a beautiful room for 2 nights.(The Maguire Room)

David was lovely - really welcoming and helpful. He sent us to a brilliant restaurant that had a great atmospher and served the best meal we had on our 2 week holiday.

The b&B was in a good location for walking into Portland town.

I won't spend any longer telling you about the wonerful house but advise you to look at the review by susaninpdx as she sums it all up perfectly.

We would love to go again.Thank you David.

Room Tip: Go - and take any room - they all looked great!
1 Thank Supergrannieisgreat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We stayed here four nights while visiting our son in the Portland area. What a find!!! Spotless, comfy, cozy rooms with amazing breakfasts. The cider and baked goodies in the afternoon were extra special. Dave was gracious and helpful. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: all of the rooms looked great with some larger than others.
1 Thank patty c
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I've been staying in B&B's, both in the USA and in Europe, for about 35 years, and have found many, many extremely nice ones. Now, against all odds, I've found the perfect one. Needless to say, the Morrill Mansion has all the usual comforts you'd expect from a five-star inn, so I won't waste space listing them. It's everything they offer above and beyond the usual five-star features that's special. For example, there's a wastepaper basket and tissues in both the bedroom and the bathroom; there's a freezer filled with plastic bags containing just the right amount of ice for the ice bucket in your room--you just pick one up on your way to your room and dump it into your ice bucket; there's a coffee/tea setup on each floor; there's an excellent afternoon snack of homemade cookies and cider; there's a comfy reading chair with a lap throw and excellent reading light. The entire Victorian mansion is immaculately clean, and David, the owner, makes sure that there's always coffee in the pot, cookies on the plate, etc. etc. And, to top it off, he cooks superb breakfasts! I almost want to keep this to myself, but that wouldn't be fair to David.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the Back Cove room, on the third floor, but I suspect they're all excellent choices.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Red Bank, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband and I spent one night here on our way up to Acadia. I wish I could have transported this b&b to the bar harbor area because it was absolutely wonderful. David, the host, was so nice and helpful and I loved his pug! It smelled incredible, like fresh baked goods, from the time we walked in until the time we left. The place was spotless and amazingly decorated. Free Wifi, tv and dvd player, and mini fridge in the room. Our room could not have been any cuter and the bed was super comfy. There is a nice little lounge area with dvds to borrow, snacks, drinks, etc. We told David our plans for dinner and he made sure we made reservations since our dining place of choice fills up very quickly. Breakfast in the morning was amazing: French toast, hard boil eggs, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, milks, pastries, homemade raspberry souffle. I feel like I can't even do the place justice in my review. If you are in Portland please go visit for yourself. You will not be disappointed.

Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

This is the best b&b we ever visited....EVER!! My husband and I seriously didn't want to leave and regretted having booked only one night.
Our room (but, from what I could see, also the other rooms) was amazing: large, stylish and with an extremely comfortable bed. The attention for the smallest details was unbeliavable: scented linens and towels, both of the best quality, as well as the mattress and the duvet; complementary water and chocolate in the room,best quality hair dryer (not the old, small, slow hair dryer that is normally provided in the hotel rooms!), high pressure shower, infra-red heating lamps in the bathroom, coffee and dvd selecion 24/7 available in the common areas (tv and dvd player in the room)... we felt so spoiled!
The host was friendly and gave us lots of tips about the restaurants. We also loved to enter the house and hear soft classic music playing from the dining room. The same music was on the following day at breakfast. Oh, breakfast. Yes, another thing to die for. Again, furniture and everything was of the best quality, but also food was like in a five star restaurant: of course fruit juices, coffee, cereals etc but also little warm pots of fruit with oat/cereals (sorry I can't describe better), warm pastries, warm little 'souffle' for who loves eggs in the morning...
Absolutely amazing. Sorry I can't stop being so enthusiastic about it.

Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Portland Maine to celebrate 16th anniv. On the way to the city, we called the Morrill Mansion hoping to get a room for two weekdays. By crazy chance, we did! We had zeroed in on the Mansion due to other reviews on TripAdvisor. It was rated the #2 B&B in Portland but I definitely think it should be #1! Our room was gorgeous. Beautifully decorated and super comfy bed. Bathroom was huge with big fluffy towels. They had a wonderful sitting room upstairs for snacks, books, DVDs and a quiet place to relax outside your room. Our host - DAVE - was one of the nicest and most engaging people we met. The food was unbelievable! We were in walking distance to all parts of Portland. And although it rained the two days we were visiting, there was plenty to do in spite of the weather. Went to Bradford State Park, Greener Postures Yoga in So. Portland and had dinner to fabulous restaurants - Vignola & State Street. Not to mention the movie theaters in downtown - who can beat a $5.00 Tuesday special to see a first run movie?! Would definitely recommend this place & can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Pick one with a large bathroom! Loved having a big space :)
1 Thank karenkatz73
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed here with my girlfriend on a two week tour of New England where stayed in 6 different hotels and B and B's - we stayed in some nice places but we agreed that this was by and away the most special. The room we stayed in was absolutely stunning, really well done and fitted out, the owner could not be more helpful and he really did make sure we were happy and comfortable at all times. It is a great base from which to explore Portland - although it is a slightly longer walk than we expected but bearing in mind the amount of food we had consumed it probably did us good - and if you just fancy a relaxing night in there's a good selection of DVD's, free wi-fi and superb local pizza delivery who deliver to your door (I had one with scallops on which seemed utterly ludicrous but was delicious!). Finally, breakfast was refreshingly healthy (granola, fruit etc with some pastries if your still hungry!)

All in all a very pleasant stay and highly recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor - I think all the rooms looked pretty special though!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple