“never disappointed”

Ranked #38 of 632 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$45 - US$55
Cuisines: Contemporary, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: There's something special about Sur Lie that sets us apart. It's the values we have and the values we all share as a team that is transferred through to our guest. To us it's about buying local. It's about giving back to our community. Food and drink are a craft here, something we take very seriously and we take pride in. To us it's more than sitting down to eat dinner. You get more than food and a couple drinks...you get an experience. To us...it's about giving each guest an amazing experience. Every time.
Reviewed September 12, 2018

In a town crowded with great dining options, I've never been disappointed at Sur Lie. The food is superb - fresh in creation as well as ingredients. With the small plates you get to try several things instead of one entrée. I always leave full but not stuffed. Each option is visually stunning, as are the combinations. The service is excellent and the chef frequently takes the time to come around and talk to customers. An outstanding dining experience!

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Small portions of delicious food. Quality of quantity and that suited us very well. Service was friendly and impeccable. Cocktails were great. The only remake I would have is that I would like to see the wine selection widened in quality and number. The white Sauvignon was OK but not impressive and thus not matching the food (that was impressive!) Certainly a great find in Portland for us.

Reviewed August 7, 2018

We stopped by for dinner after picking up family at the airport and had the most delicious, amazing meal. Every single dish was exquisite and beautifully presented. The only thing I would change is that I would not share the dishes: next time, I will order three or four dishes and have them all to myself. It is hard to catch the flavor of a dish with just one or two bites. The gazpacho was so good that I wanted the whole bowl to myself without sharing. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

SUBTLE NUANCES & SUPERB VARIATIONS. THE CHEF SURPRISED AND DELIGHTED OUR TASTEBUDS! When you see the menu you recognize some familiar small plates which make it on to many tapas Mendez in the USA. Don’t take anything for granted! Hummus as an appetizer is green and with a delightful light sweetness of green peas. Roasted beet salad dressing different, crispy beets, baby greens no sweetened goat! Roasted octopus tender as butter, crisp chickpeas, spicy tomato ragout. Tonkatsu with schredded kraut light lemon. Organic pork chop perfect and moist turmeric. Craft beers and carefully curated wine list. Limited but well-chosen by the glass. Service cheerful and informative. A little too quick to clear the plates whilst sumptuous marvels remain. I like to finish my wine while I’m signing my bill. CHEF WILL PLEASE YOU!

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

This was not our first time eating at Sur Lie. Many other dining options were available, but based on past wonderful experiences, and the food choices here, we opted for Sur Lie. It was a hot and humid evening; a passing torrential downpour added to the level of discomfort in the air. Was looking forward to eating in a cool and comfortable dining room, but unfortunately Sur Lie’s a/c was not strong enough, and the air was borderline tolerable. If you don’t enjoy the heat, beware. The dining room, like several other popular Portland restaurants, is very noisy.
As in prior visits, the food was delicious, creative, and beautiful. Pea hummus, though unlike the richer, denser, more garlicky hummus Middle Easterners make, is a whipped soft subtle version. I could inhale it in two seconds really, but I controlled myself because the oil rich deep fried (?) pita pieces would set me way over my good behavior. Arugula salad with apricot vinaigrette (reduction of apricot with added sugar et al, per the chef) was a summery sensation, and oh so flavorful.
My friend had the scallops - fabulous, and the chicken thighs- also fabulous, but took 15-20 minutes to come out, after we had already finished eating everything else. Now, the service is what prompted me to rate this a ‘3.’ Very disjointed and terribly interruptive service. By interruptive I mean, she came to the table at least 20 times. Our conversations were halted each time. When the server stopped at our table and then realized there was no reason for her to be there, she would move a bowl from one spot to the next. Touching your guests’s plates while there’s food on them and when there is no reason to move them, is inappropriate. This happened way too many times. She walked so intensely that I was uncomfortable every time she came flying past our table. Please note if you order Pellegrino,
the waitress does not inform that it is not the traditional bottled sparkling water, but the trendy canned kind with 28 grams of sugar! Waitress was ‘put out’ by my telling her that that was not what I wanted. I then ordered club soda. She returned to tell me that ‘tonic water has sugar too.’ Very nice of her to inform me, but I ordered club soda - which she finally delivered, and which was garnished nicely with a lemon and a lime. I was told ‘there are no free refills here...’ if I chose to order another one. When we had finished our hummus, I asked to take home the remaining (most of them actually) pita pieces. “Oh we don’t do take home here.” Hmmm, that did seem a bit odd, but I guess since most people finish their small plate tapas, it might be an unusual request. Nevertheless,
why would a server say something so ridiculous? Just try to seamlessly accommodate the rather benign request, and all’s well that ends well. When I got up to use the rest room she came by and ‘took’ my napkin. FYI- we arrived at 6:30 and by 8:30 there were many available tables, so we weren’t holding anyone up - so, exactly why would she be compelled to remove my napkin?
Anyhow, Good is delicious and fresh, and let’s hope this service was an anomaly.