“Incredible restaurant close to downtown Portland”
Review of Sur Lie

Sur Lie
Ranked #38 of 632 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$45 - US$55
Cuisines: Contemporary, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: There's something special about Sur Lie that sets us apart. It's the values we have and the values we all share as a team that is transferred through to our guest. To us it's about buying local. It's about giving back to our community. Food and drink are a craft here, something we take very seriously and we take pride in. To us it's more than sitting down to eat dinner. You get more than food and a couple drinks...you get an experience. To us...it's about giving each guest an amazing experience. Every time.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is truly a gem that shouldn’t be missed. My husband and I ate here on a quick trip through Portland Maine and were nicely surprised even with the great reviews of other patrons. Everything we had was sublime. We started with the scallop dish which was uniquely prepared with interesting ingredients and subtle flavors. Next was the mushroom dish which was easily the best in a very delicious overall meal. Once again, we were treated to local food prepared in interesting and flavorful ways. The last dish we tried was the pork chop dish, which was delicious in its own right. The wine pairings were spot on and the coffee served with dessert was rich and hot just the way coffee should be. The service was friendly and efficient and the owner and chef even stopped by to chat. This place is special: the food here is lovingly prepared and meant to be savored. Give your tastebuds a treat and give this wonderful place some of your time and attention. You’ll be so glad you did!

Reviewed September 12, 2018

In a town crowded with great dining options, I've never been disappointed at Sur Lie. The food is superb - fresh in creation as well as ingredients. With the small plates you get to try several things instead of one entrée. I always leave full but not stuffed. Each option is visually stunning, as are the combinations. The service is excellent and the chef frequently takes the time to come around and talk to customers. An outstanding dining experience!

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Small portions of delicious food. Quality of quantity and that suited us very well. Service was friendly and impeccable. Cocktails were great. The only remake I would have is that I would like to see the wine selection widened in quality and number. The white Sauvignon was OK but not impressive and thus not matching the food (that was impressive!) Certainly a great find in Portland for us.

Reviewed August 7, 2018

We stopped by for dinner after picking up family at the airport and had the most delicious, amazing meal. Every single dish was exquisite and beautifully presented. The only thing I would change is that I would not share the dishes: next time, I will order three or four dishes and have them all to myself. It is hard to catch the flavor of a dish with just one or two bites. The gazpacho was so good that I wanted the whole bowl to myself without sharing. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

SUBTLE NUANCES & SUPERB VARIATIONS. THE CHEF SURPRISED AND DELIGHTED OUR TASTEBUDS! When you see the menu you recognize some familiar small plates which make it on to many tapas Mendez in the USA. Don’t take anything for granted! Hummus as an appetizer is green and with a delightful light sweetness of green peas. Roasted beet salad dressing different, crispy beets, baby greens no sweetened goat! Roasted octopus tender as butter, crisp chickpeas, spicy tomato ragout. Tonkatsu with schredded kraut light lemon. Organic pork chop perfect and moist turmeric. Craft beers and carefully curated wine list. Limited but well-chosen by the glass. Service cheerful and informative. A little too quick to clear the plates whilst sumptuous marvels remain. I like to finish my wine while I’m signing my bill. CHEF WILL PLEASE YOU!