All reviewsgreat diamonddiamond's edgeferry ridesea glass beachfire pitarmy barracksexplore the islandgames roomping pongrocky beachesgolf cart ridebasketball courthotel golfno cars allowedbi levelheated pool and hot tubferry times
Reviewed July 13, 2018

The Inn is lovely and unique because it's the converted barracks of Fort McKinley. The rooms are spacious, with high ceilings and wet bar with microwave, toaster and coffee maker. Food is excellent, and staff is friendly.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

Four of us went to the Inn for lunch. We had a nice boat ride over and were pretty hungry when we got there. We ordered some appetizers and lunch at the same time. We waited a considerable amount of time before the waiter came back and said your food would be out next. The chef has a rule that all food must come out at the same time. Odd. We wanted our appetizers and one person ordered soup that we wanted first. We tried to cancel appetizers since we didn’t want all that food at once. Were told we couldn’t. When the bill came we were shocked to have a $24 upcharge for a tiny piece of salmon to be added on a salad. Had we ordered the salmon BLt which came with sides, it would have cost $18. The chef creates the up charge for us. The manager agreed it was excessive and reduced the cost. When we explained the chef not allowing us to have our food the way we wanted it (in courses) and that we felt the experience was less than satisfactory, the manager accommodated Ian yet again.

Nice atmosphere. Food ok. Chef’s attitude was something to be desired. Service was slow. Manager was very accommodating with our criticism and took care of us but don’t think we will go back.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank chasenmailing
Reviewed July 7, 2018

While not an inexpensive hotel, the value is wonderful. The rooms are new, beautifully decorated, and very unique in shape and appointments - not at all the usual hotel arrangement of a rectangular room with bathroom as you walk in. The grounds are beautiful and well landscaped and the island is unique with its parade ground surrounded by beautiful Empire style brick homes and lots of pocket beaches with Adirondack chairs on which to relax.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms facing the parade ground will have the best view
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2018

We went as a family who are from Portland, and we imagined an on-water experience, which was very disappointing once we got to the inn. Because when you imagine an island in Maine, you want to take in the whole place and enjoy every second of it.

The pool was a great place to hang out and enjoy a nice book, but the cabana rarely had a bartender to get drinks and food for us. Not to mention it took FOREVER for the food to arrive to the pool. When the pool gets busy on a rather nice part of the day, they often need to close the pool for testing. Which is rather annoying because we had to wait two hours to actually be able to go for a swim in the hottest part of the day. But the hot tub was the right size and we loved our time there while we had it.

The food was delicious and it had a wide variety of options for all three meals of the day. But there wasn't a children's menu, and our waiter didn't end up telling us the options until the food was already ready which was quite upsetting. So we had to wait another twenty minutes for the rest of the food to come.

There was a good amount of things to do, which included a "bowling alley", an "arcade room", biking, basketball court, yoga/stretching room, and a workout room. The bowling alley is in the same room as the arcade and game room. The bowling alley is well used and very old so you need to set up your own pins and roll the bowling balls (which are way smaller than normal bowling balls) down the track. More than half of the arcade machines are broken and have been for a while, so even though the sign says we are working on fixing this, they truly aren't. The biking is lovely, expect for the fact that half the bikes are broken. The one I was using had loose bolts by the wheel, and was very close to falling off. When I asked the front desk for a wrench they told me that they "didn't have one". So I had to tighten the bolt with my bare hands and had to stop multiple times to do it again. They views were incredible so it was totally worth it. The basketball court was lovely and I spent a lot of time there. It's not usually occupied and there is a lounging place to watch people shoot hoops. The height is ten feet and they cannot be lowered. Again they probably can, but the people who work there don't bother playing with it. I personally didn't spend any time in the yoga and workout rooms but I heard good things about them.

If you are going I would suggest taking a golf cart tour, ask for a woman named Jane. She is very nice, she showed us some of the key locations on the private side of the island. The views were incredible and we learned a lot about the history of the island and what everything is used for today.

On this trip there is quite a bit of walking that has to be done, so prepare yourselves. But if you are going to the restaurant that is on the water then you're going to want to ask for a golf cart ride down because it's a bit farther away than everything else that is around the area.

Now for the service... Most of the employees who worked here were really nice, but it felt like they were on island time themselves. When our air conditioner wouldn't turn on we called them at 9:45. They said to wait. At 10:30 the air conditioning came back on but we didn't receive a single call that it was fixed, which would've been nice. Then our dishwasher wouldn't stop beeping so we had to call the front desk, this took an entire day for the maintenance man to come upstairs, again no call. Not even a call that he was coming upstairs.

We really really disappointed in the service and we don't expect to be coming back anytime soon it was just not worth the load of money we spent for our trip. The bad parts just overshadowed the fun times we had...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the far side of the second floor, facing the houses and resident's land. So you don't need to look at the roof.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Traveler_61616
Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

Just left the Inn at Diamond Cove and am overall disappointed I started with problems booking my trip and had to make multiple calls to get a confirmation email. The directions for Valet parking in Portland are not good. Look for the lot by the Hilton Garden Inn We then had to carry our bags across the street and over to the ferry. We then carried them up the hill to a golf cart once we arrived at Diamond Cove. Unfortunately it was rainy so there was very little to do No spa services , a few children’s games no chess set or even checkers that I saw. We did take a golf cart island tour. The young man while very nice knew little of the history of the island. Our room was spotless with a very comfortable bed but we could hear noise from the room next door and from the hall When I asked staff for a charging port in the room for my phone the female staff member said there were none in the room. I later found a port on the alarm clock We spent a lot of time reading in the lobby I liked the fire but was put off by the placement of the reservation staff right there. That meant I was privy to staff and guest issues while trying to relax. I was impressed with a young man who always greeted me , asked if I needed anything and held open the door We had a nice lunch at the Inn and a great dinner at the restaurant on the water Service at breakfast this morning was terrible with the male waiter forgetting about us. I must say I wish we had just stayed in Bar Harbor

Stayed: June 2018