All reviews newspaper building fire station city hall cool hotel rain shower boutique hotel old port lobby bar local newspaper corner room turn down service rooms are small exchange street within walking distance perfect location wonderful hotel valet parking
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stumbled across this gem on a last minute Maine excursion. Had the standard King room. From pillows to shower, everything was top grade. The lobby bar had a good vibe to it. Staff was nice. I would definitely stay here again and would compare this to a St Regis or Peninsula category anytime.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Ginny P, Manager at The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Steven C,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review on our TripAdvisor page! I am thrilled to hear that every aspect of your experience at The Press was Beyond Words - from the service you received from our staff to the elegant bedding and amenities provided in your guestroom. Our Inkwell bar is a great place to unwind in the evening for some light bar bites and libations. I'm so happy you were able to join us there. Thank you again for your kind feedback and for choosing The Press Hotel for your last minute trip to Maine and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the property, should you find yourself returning to Portland in the future.

Ginny P

"One of the few luxuries left is travel. And the aspect of travel that is luxurious is not the movement, but the being there."

- Andre Balazs

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The Press Hotel does it right for the right reasons. Seldom you will find a Hotel affiliated with a national Brand that has more character, professional hospitality and a destination restaurant.
The well trained team seems to have a genuine interest in providing top service to their guest. While the aptly named ink well pub offers personalized service, UNION restaurant repeatedly (my second visit) delivered quality food that is beyond the norms of a restaurant located at a Hotel.
While unpretentious it hit every note of taste and texture. Bravo to consistently delivering on a five star level without having any nuance of uppity. Love it!

Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear klemensz2018,

Thank you for choosing The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection for your recent travels to Portland! I can't begin to tell you how delighted I am to hear that your stay with us exceeded your expectations! Personalized service is our #1 focus here at The Press Hotel and we do our best to instill our passion for hospitality into the minds of each and every one of our associates. I am so happy that you enjoyed your time at Inkwell and in UNION restaurant as well! We are blessed to have such a talented culinary team lead be Executive Chef Josh Berry. We will be sure to share your remarkable feedback with all departments and we look forward to hosting your travels in the future, should you find yourself returning to Maine again soon!

Ginny P

"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

- Aristotle

Reviewed November 5, 2018

We stayed at The Press Hotel last weekend. I was proposing to my girlfriend and needed help coordinating on short notice (like 24hrs short notice). When calling to check availibilty I spoke to Stephanie, the manager on duty, and she was more than accommodating. She provided her cell phone number for descrete communication. She went above and beyond to help me to set up the perfect proposal -she helped me create a cover story about being upgraded so my fiance would not be suspecious when she walked us up to our room. After a tour of our suite my fiance opened the bedroom door to flower pedals arranged to say "Will you marry me?" Stepahnie even recorded this for us on her phone - a moment we will never forget!

Regardless of the proposal, The Press Hotel, had wonderful charm, a very kind, attentive staff, great location and delicious food.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Ginny P, Manager at The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear GrandTour13901152941,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on our TripAdvisor page! Wow! What a tremendous effort Stephanie went through to ensure that everything with your marriage proposal went off without a hitch! She is a huge asset to us in Guest Services and I am delighted to hear that she went above and beyond in assisting with your engagement weekend. We appreciate you choosing the Press Hotel for such a monumental event in your lives and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you find yourselves traveling to Southern Maine!

Ginny P

"“Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you.”

- Loretta Young

Reviewed November 4, 2018

This happened to be the first place we stayed on our first weekend in Portland, and we loved it so much, it's now part of what brings us back. We love the location, the decor, the excellent, professional, and personable staff who accommodate all our requests, and of course the rooms themselves. I feel sorry for anyone who stays anywhere else!

Date of stay: March 2018

Dear Matthias T,

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a lovely review on our TripAdvisor page! I am delighted to hear that you both enjoyed your time with us so greatly, that we have the pleasure of hosting your travels again so soon! The location is difficult to top - so central to all of Portland's attractions and noteworthy dining establishments. I am so happy to hear that you were well cared for by our service staff as well! We'll be sure to share your praise across all of our departments. Again, thank you so much for choosing The Press Hotel and we look forward to your next visit with us, whenever that may be! Until then!

Ginny P

"A little thought and a little kindness are often worth more than a great deal of money."

- John Ruskin

Reviewed November 3, 2018

Excellent hotel, with interesting and quirky features. Love the lettering and quotes throughout the hotel, a reminder of its former life. Rooms are comfortable and nicely decorated. We enjoyed playing scrabble on a huge board in front of the fireplace. Great location and an easy walk to the harbour, restaurants and shops. Breakfast was also very good. Valet gave us a ride down to Scales Restaurant where we had a great dinner and picked us up again – excellent, friendly service. A very enjoyable stay.

Dear Bld211,

Thank you for choosing The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection for your recent travels to Portland, Maine! I am thrilled to hear that you both had a wonderful time here and received outstanding service from our staff during your visit! There is no better way to enjoy a cool fall afternoon or evening, in my opinion, than to unwind by a cozy fire with a beverage and a friendly (or competitive) game of Scrabble with friends and loved ones. I'm so happy to learn that you enjoyed a lovely dinner at Scales as well. Personally, they are my favorite seafood destination here in town and are needless to say, not to be missed. I am so pleased that you joined us in UNION for breakfast in the morning also! Recently voted Food Network's top destination in Maine for Brunch, you can't go wrong with any of the dishes featured on the menu. Thank you so much, again, for taking the time to leave us such a glowing review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back, should you find yourself returning to Portland in the future.

Ginny P

"My favorite thing to do is eat and eat well."

- Lena Olin