All reviews whoopie pies outdoor pool continental breakfast room was clean hot tub checking in king bed fireplace keurig refrigerator
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I stayed one night at the Fireside Inn and Suites in Portland Me for business this week. The room was payed for so I do not know the price but they seemed to offer around $100 a night on most travel websites. The entire property needs a thorough cleaning and updating the common areas seem clean but the room needed a good cleaning. The furniture is very dated and there was mold on the bathroom ceiling, behind the bed was filthy. The TV was a Zenith from who knows how long ago and had a terrible picture. The only saving grace for this hotel was the excellent customer service I received. The staff I encountered were both welcoming and helpful. Aaron at the front desk was very helpful in solving an internet problem I was having, he went above and beyond to make sure the problem was solved. This property would have redeived a 2 star rating if not for the great attitude of the staff members.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kurt R
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback, we appreciate it! We are glad to hear you received outstanding service from our staff. They work hard to ensure you have a pleasurable experience with us. Besides our great customer service, our rates include a continental breakfast and complementary Wi-Fi. We hope these extra amenities added value to your stay. If you stay in the Portland area frequently on business we have a great Rewards Program that can get you complimentary upgrades! Our upgraded room types have newer flat screen TVs, and in the future all standard guest rooms will have them too. We hope to accommodate you in the future, and thank you for staying with us Fireside!

Reviewed May 19, 2012

This hotel is NOT, I repeat NOT a three star hotel. It's just not. The entire hotel is filthy. Absolutely filthy. I cringed the three unique travel trips I stayed here, believing each time my experience was an exception and not the rule. Unfortunately, three strikes you are out. Specifically, my room should be cleaned. If you see urine in the toilet flush it before the new guest arrive. EW! Entering a hotel at midnight is no fun, and worse when in the darkness you walk across the floor and the carpet squishes - you think what's that. And only when you take your shoes off do you notice that the humidity is so high insight and ventilation so poor, that the carpets are wet from it all! UGH! Finally, a trip to the gym to work off some stress, only added a near heart attack as I stared at a pile of gewy sticky icky god knows what on the treadmill panel. I will NOT stay here again. It's convenient location grew on me like mold, but frankly the extra few minutes to another hotel is worth ALL the time so as not to endure the feeling that bed bugs and grime might suffocate me in the night.

Room Tip: Stay away from this place. Bring your own pillows there's are all lumpy. Wear clothing to bed, your skin itches because something like nats or bed bugs are in there. Hire a staff that cares. Try really cleaning.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank fairnobjective

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize your stay with us was less than satisfactory. It is our goal to make every guest’s stay with us an exceptional experience. We strongly value repeat guests such as yourself for the business you give our hotel. If you would like to contact us directly and give us another chance we promise you will receive nothing less than a perfect visit.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed in this hotel this past weekend and was extremely disappointed. The woman at the front desk was very nice and helpful, but she is the only person who seemed to care if we had a comfortable stay. Housekeeping walked in and out of our room numerous times without knocking, and they had bad customer service and rotten attitudes. My ipod was stolen and management made me feel like a liar and bother to them for reporting it. Our rooms were never cleaned, things were just moved around. There was a half eaten french frie under our tv and thick layers of dust. We did not get our beds changed and we had to ask more than once for towels. I would NEVER stay here again nor recommend staying there to anyone else. It was the most awkward couple of days and they are very unprofessional. Hope this is helpful, I dotn want anyone else to have missing property and an experience like mine.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank A O

Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know your stay was less than satisfactory. We are glad to hear our front desk staff was courteous, and apologize for the housekeeping experience you had. Losing anything while on vacation is very stressful. We are pleased to update this review by reporting your missing item claim had a happy ending.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Maine. We chose to stay at the Fireside Inn because it was centrally located, inexpensive, had decent reviews, and free breakfast. We were happy to see that we were allowed to check in early (1:30pm) even though their check-in time was 3pm. When we got to the front desk we were greeted by a very nice staff and whoopie pies! We checked in to our room and it was your standard hotel room. King sized bed, arm chair with foot rest, desk, dresser with tv, etc.

Unfortunately, my husband and I have spoiled ourselves at home with an amazing mattress so nothing can compare. With that being said, we found the mattress to be very hard and the pillows were small and uncomfortable. It wasn't our best sleep, but it also wasn't unbearable.

We were a little disappointed with the "continental breakfast". It's yogurt, oatmeal, two choices of cereal, coffee/juices, and toast (when we arrived there was only one bagel left), but as I said, "you get what you pay for" and it sure beat shelling out $200 a night to stay in downtown Portland and have to pay to park in a garage.

If you're spending a night in the area, I think this hotel is worth it, but if you're staying for longer than a short weekend I would probably spend the extra $$ for a more well-known chain.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SweetCatastrophe
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. This is the place to stay when you’re looking for the best value. We offer complimentary parking, early check-in, WI-FI, whoopie pies, coffee, newspapers, and continental breakfast. Our continental breakfast is available each morning for all guests to enjoy. It includes everything you mentioned and more. Our restaurant staff works very hard to make sure everything is stocked and maintained during busy times. We are always here to help guests if they need anything.
While the Fireside Inn & Suites brand is new to the Portland area, there are several other properties located throughout Maine in Auburn, Bangor, & Waterville. We hope to accommodate you in the future in Portland or any of our other locations.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Anything we asked for they got it. I needed a refrigerator for some medicine and the found one. I asked for extra pillows and blankets and they got them. The staff was very very nice.
Room was nice. Bed was great.
They just bought the place and they added an elevator for the 2nd floor! This Fireside group is really trying to update this place.
The staff is really really pleasant!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

We appreciate you for taking the time to give us a positive review, thank you!
Many of our courteous staff members have been here for years, and we are happy to hear that all your needs were met quickly and efficiently. We are here to serve you and give the best experience possible.
We are glad you enjoyed the addition of the elevator. We are constantly working to improve our property to ensure our guests will come back to us again and again. We look forward to your next visit with us fireside.