“Superb!”

Ranked #5 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
New England
“Superb!”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

A few of us braved the numbing December winds in downtown Portland to dine at Green Elephant last night and it was well worth the visit. A warm and inviting atmosphere, we were sitted immediately as we were at the end of the dinner hour. We started out with the hot and spicy soy sticks that had a garlic-chili-cilantro sauce that was delicious. The sauce was indeed hot and spicy and the soy sticks were kind of like chicken wings without the bone. For entrees we had the tofu tikka masala and a ginger veggie stir fry special with wide noodles. Both were terrific. Several glasses of organic red table wine also were enjoyed. The service was prompt, informative, without being obtrusive and water glasses were constantly filled. The cost was more than reasonable. Although this is a vegetarian restaurant, I think there are plenty of selections that would please any palate. Great atmosphere, good service, outstanding food at reasonable prices. What more could ask for?! We'll be back.

1 Thank MaineTravel50

• Hebrew first
“Would love to visit again for the yummy vegan food.”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I visited the Green Elephant with my husband where we spend a very enjoyable evening. We both enjoyed our food very much, and the service was excellent. I loved that they had vegan and gluten free foods marked clearly on the menu. I was also very impressed by how good the food was. I would go back anytime.

Biddeford, Maine
“The Best Vegetarian Restaurant around”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

We finally made it The Green Elephant this past weekend. I can't believe what I had been missing all this time. The food was beyond my expectations. I had the Pineapple Brown Rice and it was great. Tina had Mixed Veggies Stir Fry with Tofu which was also excellent.

Service was excellent as well. Both waitresses were very attentive and friendly.

Glad we finally got there and can't wait to go back.

1 Thank Kgosselin
New Jersey
“Great vegetarian meal”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

This restaurant serves up some fresh and inventive vegetarian meals with an Asian flair. Highly recommended for both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Although casual, the restaurant offers nice ambiance and stellar service.

Visited September 2011
Maine
“Incredibly good”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We both ordered curry dishes. Each distinctly different and flavorful. I would recommend The Green Elephant to anyone who enjoys good food. Be aware that all meals are meatless. Great options for vegans, and those avoiding gluten. The chocolate mousse pie was heavenly!

• Visited November 2011