“Great unit and amazing view”

Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Rockport
NJ
“Great unit and amazing view”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed for a five days between Christmas to New Years. We exchange through RCI into this resort. The point usage was very low this time of the year. We drove from our snowboarding location at Canon Mountain in New Hampshire for a about four hours. The drive was very slow.

Our one bedroom unit was super nice. It is located on the first floor facing the ocean and the golf course with a large porch. It will be nice in the summer. The unit is super luxurious. Beautifully decorated. The one bedroom has a king bed, queen sofa bed, two large flat screen tv, sitting for four. Storage in this unit is small. So is the efficiency kitchen but it has many high end kitchen equipment. Small oven, full size stove, microwave and refrigerator. Free wifi and board games in the room. Laundry room is in each building.

The health club where we check in was amazing. Beautiful locker room, steam room, hot tub and a large swimming pool. There are many free classes offer everyday. The gym is the best I have seen. Coffee service and childcare facility is offered.

There are many towns worth visiting in the area. Rockport and Camden are very nice with many good restaurant and cute shopping on Main Street or near water front. The resort has menus and direction of many of the local favorites. We drove out one morning for coffee and discover a seafood truck outside of the entrance. They offer lobsters for $5.99 a pound, muscles for $1 a pound, steamers for $2.5 a pound and many more selection. We loaded our refrigerator with seafood and didn't eat out for four days.

The rock walk by the cliff is as many has reviewed not to be miss. All around the resort area is very nice. They really deserve all the hospitality rewards they received. We will be back!

Room Tip: Any room in this resort will be great. The main hotel close in the winter.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank schong
Chris B, Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Schong,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and your kind words concerning our property.

Winter is a great time to visit with many seasonal activities and attractions in the area. This time of year offers an atmosphere of relaxation and luxury.

We are currently underway with renovations to our units, installing modern kitchen and bath amenities for our guests to enjoy. It is our hope that this investment will improve upon the experience of quality Maine hospitality we are pleased to offer.

It is great to hear that you also enjoyed the Club at Samoset. We are proud of our amenty offerings, including our indoor pool and hot tub, saunas, weight training facility and cardio theatre.

Many thanks again for your stay with us and your compliments concerning our resort. It is our hope that you may visit again soon either to stay in our condominiums or in our hotel accommodations, which starting this season, will be open year round.

Chris Barstow
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Georgetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice. The property is beautiful, the view is amazing and the service is spectacular!

It's a little out of the way.. and unless you are arriving by boat you're going to have a ride to get here.. but it's worth it !

The new Lounge provides a fantastic dining experience. You know it's good when locals come to a hotel to eat and relax.

I haven't had the opportunity to play golf here, but the course looks fantastic.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank jasonb123
JCo4886, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Jasonb123,

Your positive input regarding your stay with us is greatly appreciated. Though the travel can seem long to visit us, it is always our goal to have guests feel like it is worth the trip.

We are very pleased that our staff met your expectations and that you enjoyed our dining, facilities and accommodations.

It is my hope that you may have a chance to join us again in 2012, and if you’re a golfer, enjoy our championship golf course.

Oakland, ME
Reviewed 4 December 2011

It probably looks strange that I gave this 2 stars and gave the service, value, sleep quality, etc. ratings from a 3 to 5. The main reason that I was unhappy with my stay and gave the two stars is that I had reserved an oceanview room and didn't receive it. The whole purpose of the trip was a weekend trip for my husband and I to the ocean after the summer rates had come down. We made the reservations last minute (day before) with the idea that if an oceanview room wasn't available we would go the next weekend. We wanted the ambience of looking out to the ocean from our room and from our patio.

Upon arrival, I was told that we had a garden room. I explained that we had reserved an oceanview and I asked to be switched to an oceanview and was told that we had to be on the first floor because we had our pet and the first floor was full. She could not explain to me why I was able to reserve an oceanview room when they were all gone. After the fact, I wished I had turned down the room and left but being an infrequent traveler, I thought they would charge me for a late cancellation so we decided to stay.

The room was very nice, the linens on the bed were lovely and very comfortable. The bathroom was somewhat small and dark considering the typical going price for the room. The sink and mirror were in their own small alcove with another small room with the tub and toilet. It was after season and we received a Maine resident discount so our price was pretty reasonable even with the small bathroom. I wouldn't consider it a good value though in the summer when the full rate is charged. There was plenty of appropriate nautical type art, sitting areas, lamps, etc. Plenty of clothes storage. There was a lighted closet with iron & ironing board. Also included was a hair dryer and coffee maker. There was a sliding door out to a grassy area with a tiered rock wall. A small table and chair set was just outside the sliding door. The view was of a rock wall that was probably filled with nice flowers in the summer, but in Oct. it was not a very pretty view.

The resort does have a golf course that we did not use. There are some cabins to rent (well out of our price range) nearer the ocean. I was disappointed that the cabins somewhat seemed to block the view for some of the hotel rooms. It seemed to me that they could have been positioned better so that they were still near the ocean but not blocking others. I also was surprised that there were not more oceanside benches. When my husband and I wanted to sit and look at the ocean having our coffee, we looked for a bench outside and instead ended up sitting on a low rock wall. Perhaps there are benches in-season and they were put away but if not, they should consider more benches around the property. I saw a few but they were on the backside not in sight of the ocean.

The view there is magnificent and there is the breakwater and lighthouse for a walking excursion. The pool was closed so I cannot comment on that and we did not use the other outside facilities. The restaurant food that we had was quite good. The staff and other guests were friendly.

I also experienced a problem with the stay charges to my account. I used my debit card and for some reason I was charged for the room but there was also a hold on my account for the same charges which left my account $320 locked up for days. Luckily I had plenty in there to cover. I left a phone message with the manager about us receiving the wrong room and that my account was locked up but I did not receive a call back. I had also called the service desk to straighten out getting my money "unlocked" and they were able to take care of that, the next day they were cleared. I was disappointed that I never heard from the manager about the wrong room.

It was unfortunate that we did not get more of a chance to soak in the loveliness of this oceanside resort. All that it would have taken was the ocean side view room we had anticipated. It is a beautiful place.

Room Tip: Oceanside Room
2 Thank suzcomptime
Suzcomptime,

Thank you very much for your autumn stay with us and for your feedback. I am pleased that overall your stay was enjoyable. We certainly take pride in providing the best accommodations, service and resort amenities to all of our guests.

Regarding your accommodations, I am pleased you were able to take advantage of our Maine Resident discount program, but am very sorry that we were not able to provide you with the ocean view room that was reserved.

It is very rare that we have an inventory challenge like the one you encountered, and certainly try to meet all accommodation requests provided by our guests in advance of their stay. In reviewing your account, I did note that we were able to discount your room rate, due to an ocean view room not being available.

I am also sympathetic to the challenge encountered concerning your debit card account authorization. Though we do provide information during guest registration detailing these authorizations to our guests, at times it may not be conveyed to proper satisfaction. I am glad this situation was resolved in a timely manner, and will look to use your experience as an opportunity for future improvement.

In lieu of your experience, and in hopes of providing you a stay that meets our mutual high expectations, I would the chance to welcome you back this coming spring. This way, we can provide you with ocean view, upgraded accommodations, while also allowing you to enjoy all services and amenities. Our outdoor pool and all restaurants will be open for the season by mid-May.

It is my hope that you contact me personally to arrange your reservations. Your detailed input is greatly appreciated. Many thanks again for your patronage and taking the time to share your experience.

maine
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I recently reserved a hotel in this area as the price of the samoset is so expensive. I was looking for a place when I came across the samoset and it reminded me that I had never left a review. I stayed here a little over a year ago and wanted to complain to the manager but my husband was very sick with cancer. We had appointments in the area and one was early morning and one was early afternoon. Since my husband couldn't do much, I asked for a late checkout so he could rest in the room. I was told that I could do that. I had asked on the phone and upon check in. However, when housekeeping knocked on the door, I explained that we were still here. They didn't say anything and just left. They came back a while later and same thing. Finally, a little over the time of regular check out, a loud knock came to the door. I again said that we hadn't left yet....I was a little annoyed. She loudly and abruptly said "check out time was a half an hour ago!" I explained that I had permission for a late checkout. She picked up a clipboard and said "well, you are not on my list!" I was so upset. My husband got up as he felt uncomfortable and we sat in the car for 30 minutes prior to our appointment. It bothered me all day. All I could think of was, why didn't she say "ok, well I am sorry, it didn't make it to my list..thank you and I am sorry." Anyways, the staff at the front desk were nice but they were carrying on a conversation the entire time of check in which I find to be very unprofessional. On the good side: the hotel is beautiful, rooms are great, beds incredible, quiet and the grounds are breathtaking. I would stay here again in a heartbeat but management....you must do something about your staff's attitudes!!!! I would expect it from a dive but not a 4 star resort!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank nursenewman
Nursenewman,

Thank you for your input regarding your stay with us in 2010.

I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and the Resort, but am very sorry that our staff did not meet your expectations or ours. Your experience with our housekeeping staff and your interaction with our front office personnel are certainly not indicative of the high standards that we expect from our team.

Please do know that we will take advantage of this challenge, with hopes of seizing this opportunity for future improvement.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. It is my hope we may have a chance to offer a better stay on your next visit to the Samoset.

Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Our stay in October 2011 was an RCI timeshare exchange. The timeshare "estates", separated from the hotel units by the main lodge (which contains the lobby, spa, pool, health centre, restaurants and conference rooms), consist of three V-shaped buildings, each with 24 one- and two-bedroom condo units on three floors. The base of the V points towards the ocean; thus the units at the base have the best view. We had a 2-bedroom unit at the end of one of the arms of the V, thus farthest from the water, with our view partly obstructed by the V next to us.

The buildings are showing their age, with scrapes, scratches and dents on some door frames, cupboards and wooden furniture. The resort says renovations and upgrades are ongoing, so you take your chances. Our unit was clean and nicely finished, with big rooms, comfortable beds and sofa. Surprisingly, there was no wifi connection, but we found a free computer off the lobby of the main lodge. Our main complaint was the tiny partial kitchen. We felt a Gold Crown resort should have a full kitchen (most do) and a washer-dryer in the unit; here one has to pay $1.00 a load in an upstairs laundry room common to each building. Pots and pans in the kitchen were worn and stained, and the dishwasher was one of the smallest we have seen.

Our building was furthest from the main lodge, and was very quiet, but ceiling insulation was poor and we could hear every footstep above us. In fact, there was a notice asking occupants not to bump and thump, out of consideration for neighbours!

The resort is surrounded by a very attractive golf course, but we are not golfers, so cannot comment on its quality. The new outdoor "zero-entry" pool (you enter it as if from a beach) looked very alluring but was closed for the season. However, we enjoyed the huge indoor pool and adjacent whirlpool.

The restaurant prices at the resort were excessive, in our view, so we ate either in our unit or at local eateries. The fish was good at the Offshore Restaurant a mile east along Route 1, and we took some lobster home from Jess's Seafood Market at the south end of Rockland.

The resort staff, both front desk and housekeeping, as well as Joanne Nelson at the RCI office, were unfailingly courteous and helpful. Their attitude helped make our stay a very pleasant one.

Room Tip: If exchanging into the timeshare buildings, ask for a unit at the base of the V, i.e. closest to the...
2 Thank wafljo
Wafljo,

Many thanks for your recent visit with us and your input regarding your timeshare accommodations.

As you mentioned, and as I have referenced in previous Trip Advisor responses to our guests, we are in the process of renovating our condominium kitchens and bathrooms.

As we speak, we are installing new cabinets and fixtures in the building you stayed in. These improvements include the installations of new appliances, as well as modern, high-quality granite counter tops. This project will expand this winter, inclusive of all 72 units in our timeshare estates.

Though we currently do not have plans for individual washers and dryers in units, your suggestion is certainly one we would be happy to consider for future planning. It is our perpetual goal to continue improving all elements at the Resort, providing the best amenities and lodging for our guests.

I am very pleased that our staff met our mutually high standards of providing quality service and Maine hospitality. It is our hope that we may host you again soon in our newly renovated condominiums.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a wonderful 3night stay at the resort! Food in the new restaurant was delicious and a very pleasant atmosphere. Wait staff wad great!!!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank amm1952
Amm1952,

Your positive review in reference to your recent visit is greatly appreciated.

We hope to have you stay with us again in 2012.

Orangeburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed in one of the timeshare condos because there were no rooms left in the main hotel. They were 260$ a night with tax 300. I looked online and the place looked beautiful with an oceanview so I booked it.We got there and it looked nothing like the picture online. It was in need of major updating, decor, paint,weird floor plan.The view was great sunrise and sunset. The brunch at Bella was fantastic! The spa was good. I would get a cheaper room next time they probably look alot better in the main hotel.

1 Thank Kathy D
JCo4886, General Manager at Samoset Resort On The Ocean, responded to this review, 31 October 2011
Kathy D,

We appreciate your recent stay and your feedback, with specific reference to our condominiums.

The hotel and restaurants have undergone recent renovations over the last couple of years, with improvements planned to our condominiums this off season. Though these units did not meet your expectations on your recent visit, it is my hope that scheduled upgrades to our kitchenettes, bathrooms and living spaces will meet our goal of having all parts of the Samoset meet our mutually high standards and reputation.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. It is my hope we may host you again on your next visit to mid-coast Maine.

Cornelius J. Russell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
2.7 km away
2.8 km away
250 Main Hotel
250 Main Hotel
#2 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Samoset Resort On The Ocean? Share your experiences!