All reviews paddle boards water trampoline year after year running water look forward toilet paper shooting stars steve dog cabin fishing hats dock kings goals picnic maps
Selected filters
Reviewed July 7, 2020 via mobile

I cannot get over how much fun I have each year I visit! Steve and Amy are outstanding and their camps feel like home. The beds are comfortable, the kitchen is super functional (fully equipped), clean, cozy, welcoming and all around exactly what a cabin type home away from home should be. If you ever need anything they are right there and ready to help in any way they can. I always look forward to staying with them. Each year brings so many new memories and adventures. Thank you guys for making my fourth memorable year after year. See you soon!

Date of stay: July 2020
Reviewed August 3, 2019

The Gray Ghost Camps is our "happy place". It is a true gem. The camps are cozy and extremely clean. Owners Amy and Steve make everyone welcome and work hard to make sure everyone enjoys their stay. There's so much to do in the area- fishing, swimming, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling,or hunting. Or you can just relax. Can't wait to get back. Thank you Amy and Steve.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful time together with our German Shorthair Pointer Rugar. We stayed in cabin 3 (Mickey Finn) which was dog friendly. It’s $5/day extra for dogs to stay with you and they have to be with you at all times. They can not be left in the lodge alone at any time. Pick up after your pet as the grounds are shared by all the other lodges including a cozy fire pit perfect for Marshmallow roasting. The lodge is exactly as the description states. Private cabin on the waterway to Moosehead Lake. Plenty of paddle boards and tubes to use. Float plane rides available for hire. We were their for bird hunting and bow hunting white tailed deer. Great location for bird hunting and access to the golden road area.
Our lodge was very clean and well stocked with towels and soap for bathing. Heater worked great. We had plenty of plates, utensils, pans, paper towels and dish soap for cooking breakfast, lunch or dinner in the cabin. Refrigerator with freezer was great. There are plenty of places nearby if you didn’t want to cook. There is WiFi for basic necessities but it isn’t fast. We were there to enjoy nature so it didn’t bother us. I enjoyed reading the guest book in our cabin where guests can share their experiences. It was a nice touch to hear about others adventures in Rockwood. It also helped us decide to have brunch at The Birches on our last morning out of town.
There are plenty of hiking trails nearby and we had numerous sightings of wildlife nearby via car; five moose including two baby calves, one large 8 point buck, a coyote, foxes and some turkeys. We loved watching the local ducks near the docks in the morning and I suspect that they have some cracked corn fed to them every now and again.
We have raved to the rest of the family about our stay and now it looks like this may be an annual affair!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

I love Maine. I currently live in the southwest mountains of Maine but THIS place was incredible.. The camps were amazing, kayaking adventures, the views on the river are top notch.. The staff is INCREDIBLE (thank you Monica) and the owners really know how to make you feel at home.. My friends and I paddled across the river to enjoy breakfast, paddled up river afterwards, played board games on the picnic bench, and if it were warmer outside I KNOW we would have enjoyed those tempting tubes - but the bonfire at night made up for that.. We came up for the International Sea Plane shenanagins and it was quite amazing watching them land and take off from the front porch.. The cabins are very well kept.. I just adored the decor of old-times feels of Maine Mountain Cabin.. Very low key and well worth the voyage.. I know I’ll be back.. A second home..

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2018

This was exactly what our family needed. The location on the river was peaceful almost magical. It was close to many activities such as hiking Kineo and Moxie Falls. There was also plenty to do there with swimming and kayaking. The cabin was beautiful and well kept. All of our needs were taken care of. The staff were great and the other guest were friendly. You will not be disappointed.

Date of stay: August 2018