All reviews the main lodge popham beach the pilot house meal plan candlepin bowling golf course lobster bake dirty dancing salt water pool end of the season rehearsal dinner pro shop the early bird new england planned activities some tlc family vacation
Reviewed August 15, 2016

An impromptu decision to stay at the Sebasco Harbor Resort has left us with mixed feelings. I would love to give it a glowing review, but I can't. I am not normally a cranky person, but this place made me very cranky. Our initial impresison was very favorable after attending a wonderful lobster bake upon check in, but then things quickly went down hill after that. First, though, the "pros": The golf course is challenging, well maintained and fun to play. The staff, overall is friendly and welcoming and the facilities and activities are great. Now,the "cons": If the resort wants to put you up in BirchBark cabin, say no. It has all the charm and ambiance of a FEMA trailer and clearly was the worst place to be in the resort. For $500 per night (food not included), we expected better. Loud neighbors directly behind the cabin kept us up until 3 am ( not the resorts fault, I know) but I was told the resort is well aware of this problem. If so, don't put guests in Birchhbark. Secondly, the resort has some kind of operational/staffing issue with housekeeping services. It took an average of three phone calls to the front desk to get any action on problems we, and other guests, reported. We had very few lamps and even fewer light bulbs upon check in. It took three phone calls and one visit to the front desk before we got them. Other guests in the front office asking for help had the same experience. Again, loud neighbors in the resort cabin next to us keeping us awake until 2 am the second night produced the same lack of results upon our calling the front desk.(And by the way,If I wanted to go to the Jersey shore, I would have done so and not been upset with the partying.) The security guard actually drove by, stopped to listen to the yelling, and then drove off without asking the guests to respect the 10 PM quiet time rule. A fourth upset phone call to the front desk finally produced results. From the other reviews, I know that our experience is the exception and not the rule, but the fact that other guests seemed to be having the same issues with lack of response to requests for assistance leaves me to believe that there is room for improvement here. The resort was very gracious and credited us money on our bill for our bad experience, but I doubt that we will be back. There are too many other resorts of this caliber and price that include food allowances and are very responsive to guest needs without it taking three or four phone calls.

Room Tip: Avoid Birch Bark at all costs.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank jeanbean10
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2016

Dear 'jeanbean10':

Thank you for taking the time to share your visit with tripadvisor. I also want to thank you for completing our real-time customer feedback survey as well sharing your concerns during and after your stay. Thank you for enjoying the Lobster Bake - a Sebasco tradition. It was a pleasure meeting your family upon your arrival.

The Birch Bark cottage sits in our pet friendly area and does border our neighbors. It is very rare that we need to speak to those that border the property so I am sorry that it affected your sleep on the first night. I understand you spoke to our Rooms Division Manager on your second night at 9p about the noise from the neighboring cabin so we did keep an eye out. Following your call at 10:15p - my front desk associate contacted me and I went with the security guard and watched him speak to the occupants about their loud conversations. I stayed behind and listened for additional noise to make sure that they complied. Unfortunately, due to unusual humidity that evening, the windows in some cottages were open - thus making normal conversation a bit amplified. Although I understand you still had issues, i do feel as though our constant presence was appropriate. Upon check-out, i did personally offer compensation and i was told that I was too generous and your traveling companion was gracious and suggested a lesser amount.

In regard to the housekeeping calls, under no circumstance should you have to make additional calls for the same issues - my sincere apologies for that. Certainly no excuses.

I appreciate you understanding that your stay was the 'exception' as mentioned in your review and you also have a private response that I sent upon checkout that is a bit more detailed. Thank you again for staying with us and for providing your input.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

Overall, this resort was a great find! We spent two nights here which was the right amount of time for our family of 4 (2 kids, ages 11 and 14). The resort has lots of fun "old-fashioned" activities for the family to enjoy. We took a boat ride on the Ruth and while the kids were disappointed they didn't get to see any wildlife, it was a nice way to see the surrounding islands in Casco Bay and learn a little something about the lobster industry. There are two restaurants on site and we dined at The Ledges twice. Food and service was very good! Highly recommend a day trip to Popham Beach State Park - hands down the highlight of our stay in this area! Make sure to take towels and pack a cooler for the day!! The resort is a little rundown and "older" than it appears in the photos but it was clean and comfortable. Just don't arrive expecting anything luxurious ... Besides the sunsets!!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family

Dear 'moore71502':

Thank you for your review - I am glad that you found a 'great find'! It is nice to hear that you enjoyed all the activities at the resort, as well as had the time to visit Popham Beach State Park - which is an incredible spot.

Thank you for mentioning the food and service at the Pub - much appreciated!

We hope to see you again.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 10, 2016

We have stayed at Sebasco a few times over the years but this year staying with our five year old we were really able to enjoy the facility for all it's worth. We took a boat ride on the Ruth, we played lawn games, rented bikes, enjoyed games recreation room, went for a swim in the pool (a bit cold for me but kids don't mind!) We ate on the property as well. In fact we stayed at Sebasco for more than two days before we ever left and never watched TV or turned on an iPad. I love that the property has so much history but lodging is well maintained and comfortable. We loved meeting other families staying at the property- by the time we checked out the kids were all yelling goodbye to new buddies and hoping to see each other again next year. We felt like we stepped back in time at Sebasco- in the very best way possible.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
puremaine, General Manager at Sebasco Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2016

Dear 'cityrider76':

Thank you for the great review of your stay this summer - it is appreciated. We love to watch the families connect not only with their own kids, but other families as well. It is very special to watch the families return year after year and how the children instantly pick up where they left off the previous year with their 'Sebasco Buddies'.

We appreciate you returning and look forward to your visit next season!

All my best,

Reviewed August 8, 2016 via mobile

When you want to get away from the busy city and surprise your wife for her birthday, do not hesitate to visit this amazing place. The beautiful scenery will put a smile on your face and the staff would make it enjoyable. Thank you for an unforgettable weekend.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear 'Gavin W':

It was our pleasure to assist you with your wife's surprise birthday - we are certainly glad we made you look good! Thank you for putting your trust in us for this special occasion and we look forward to having you back!

All my best,

Reviewed August 7, 2016 via mobile

I wanted a quick weekend getaway and was fortunate that the Sebasco Harbor Resort had a room available. I was pleasantly surprised at the amenities available to guests. You literally don't have to leave; everything you need is onsite. I had a wonderful visit to the spa with an amazing massage by Denise. The facility is lovely with amazing water views. Very relaxing! The food at Ledges was good, the drinks even better. There's a gift/coffee shop with coffee drinks that were terrific. My room was large and clean with a balcony overlooking the lakeside. The grounds are beautifully kept and the staff was super nice and helpful. The only downsides were the lack of a/c (it was quite warm in the room) and the jetted tub didn't work. Overall, it was quite nice; I would definitely go back.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Dear 'CMcCoy':

Thank you for your kind review of Sebasco - it is much appreciated. I am glad we were able to provide a pleasant getaway for you. Thank you also for the ultimate compliment ' 'I would definitely go back'.

I will make sure Denise in the spa and and the grounds crew know that they were mentioned.

We will see you again soon!

Regards,