“This place is horrible”

Fairgrounds Cafe
Ranked #7 of 33 Restaurants in Topsham
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed June 23, 2017 via mobile

Turn the tv off so the employees work, not stand around watching and discussing politics. The food is just okay, very greasy, prepare for an upset stomach. Bathrooms were dirty. Tables, floor was dirty..employees don't move much, and slowly at that.

Reviewed June 18, 2017

My wife, kids, sister and father went for a Father's Day breakfast. 6 of us total and at 8:30 in the morning they were quite busy. We let them know there were 6 of us and the woman we spoke to said there would be a wait and directed the hostess to start a list. After about 20 minutes we inquired into how long the wait would be as we saw a few people with comparable parties seated ahead of us. We found out then that we hadn't been put on said list. After a total of 50 minutes of waiting we were seated.

The wait staff were friendly, albeit very busy. It took another 45 minutes for food to arrive. The choices were mixed between omelettes pancakes, or simply eggs. Things of note; the coffee, a standard diner style cup, was $2.50 a cup. Everyone's food was barely warm at best. My son-in-law's eggs were cold and his home fries numbered fewer than 10, half of what anyone else had gotten. Towards the end of the meal, my daughter found hair in her pancake, this aside from the onion piece my wife found in hers, and the hash brown my daughter had already found. My daughter also found that her bacon had some suspect dark green spot running through it.

My daughter complained about the hair and such and their meal was comped.

Our waitress never stopped by the see how the meal was, and to be fair, she was very busy.

I'm not sure I would gamble it again. Truth told, their food has always been decent and we've enjoyed it in the past, but this experience ruined it for us.

Reviewed June 16, 2017 via mobile

Kinda non-descript place with pretty good food. Good fried clams - whole belly. I'm a liver and onions guy but theirs is not one I would get again. Over-cooked liver and under-cooked onions. Worth at least a visit. I have returned several times because most of the menu is pretty good and the prices are affordable.

Reviewed December 31, 2016

Pros: Overall, the food is excellent. Portions are reasonably large and properly prepared. Pleasant staff.
Cons: Dated decor could use a deep cleaning...the tables always feel sticky, I know, they're coated with polyurethane, but they still feel sticky. Also, if they look really busy, turn around and leave. When they get busy, the quality of meal preparation and attentiveness of the wait staff slides precipitously.
Overall, I'd say it's a great local breakfast restaurant.

Reviewed December 29, 2016

I order eggs over medium for breakfast often but usually get over easy. Two days in a row I got eggs over medium. Good service good food and eggs the wya I ordered them I wish I lived near by there.