“Best restaurant in Wells”
Review of Joshua's

Joshua's
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Wells, Maine
“Best restaurant in Wells”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Favored by locals and tourists. Great atmosphere. Menu is somewhat limited. Don't go without a reservation.

York, ME
“A Great Restaurant”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is a great family run restaurant. Joshua is the chef, and he prepares wonderful dishes. Specials daily and some favorites continue. The ambiance is great. It's difficult to get reservations (which are definitely recommended), but worth the wait. We'd recommend eating at the bar for a casual dinner. A very nice atmosphere, often interesting conversation with other guests, and it's also sometimes easier to get a seat there. Casual attire - it's Maine. We highly recommend it.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Al-Sue-Maine
“Worth waiting for.”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My wife and I have lived in Wells for years and have always wanted to visit Joshua's. If you want to visit this restaurant, make a reservation in advance! They are so good that it's constantly booked. I was on a waiting list for NYE and was able to get in because of bad weather. It was some of the best food I've ever had. The salads were fresh and plentiful. The appetizers were fabulous! I highly reccomend the Tiger Shrimp. And the main course was excellent. My wife and I both had leftovers due to the good portions which we devoured the following day. Go here. ASAP

1 Thank Mduch777
Portland, Maine
“Classic New England Setting and Fine Food”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Joshua's has a great reputation in Wells, Maine - known for its local produce and uniquely prepared food. I like it because the setting is exceptionally New England withOUT the view of the ocean that one expects in a Maine coastal town. The food is always good and the setting is calming, with gentle lighting and attentive but unobtrusive wait staff. Although my daughter is anxious to eat at Joshua's on her trips North - it is not meant for children (who are always visiting with her). Dinner here is to enjoy without children.

The staff is very accomodating with reservations - highly recommended.
When I want to impress my guests with fine food, beautiful setting and a night for lovely conversation - Joshua's is were I want to be.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank CaroleNewEngland
Florida
“Amateur Night”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

For all of the rave reviews I was surprised by me experience.
The front of house performances ranged from pretentious to robotic to incompetent. The hostess is the chef's mother and seemed a bit full of herself. Our waitress was robotic and annoyingly seeming to work the name Joshua into every description of every item. There was a big kerfuffle at the table behind us when a waitress swiped the wrong patron's cards for each others checks.
The food itself was only fair. The mushroom starter was very salty. My haddock was under seasoned and tasteless while my vegetables were severely over seasoned. Even basic platting techniques were cast aside with watery vegetables placed right next to risotto on the same plate.
My date's vegetarian entree was undercooked, over seasoned ravioli masquerading as homemade. The restaurant's web site claims the chef has no professional training and I believe that is the most accurate anecdote to describe my experience.

• Visited November 2011