“maine memories”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wells
Sea Mist Resort Motel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Wells
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We have just checked out of the Sea Mist in Wells Maine after a week of not so bad.. reading the reviews up until our arrival made us check in with an "it is what it is"attitude.. that served us well... the kitchenette is a fridge, microwave from the 1980's and a toaster.. We came prepared... hot plate.. fry pan and eggs.. omelettes in the morning and with the offering of charcoal barbecues on the property for use..(you provide the charcoal) we enjoyed steak, swordfish and lobster on the grill... cheaper then eating out and much more intimate.. would we return... well yes we would.. the traffic and tourist traps are a whole other story, however the hotel did us just fine.. (bring a mattress pad, the bed is a little uneven).. to end this review.. the room was clean, well placed in the midst of the activity and you could smell the ocean air.. what more do you want from a trip to maine other then a moose to serve you a cocktail..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank travelling love... A
There are newer reviews for Sea Mist Resort Motel

Reviewed 16 August 2011

We rented one of the oen bedroom cottages. Small, but more than enough for two plus one kid. Nice heated indoor pool, and a lot of place for our toddler to run around. With all the restaurants around, you don't really need the kitchenette, so you could settle for a motel room. Wifi did not always work.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bentleystudent
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Wells Beach was to be our anchor point to tour the coastline and towns of Southern Maine with an RCI week at the Sea Mist "Resort" Motel in a studio unit. We exchanged a 2 bedroom unit at Myrtle Beach, SC for this unit. Do not bother visiting here if you have any expectations for a comfortable, relaxing, accomdating room. It is by far the worst unit we have ever had. We stayed one night and left to head south to Philadelphia. If you plan to visit this area, do a longer search and find a better place. No matter what you think you save here, it is a waste of your money.

Room Tip: Read reviews of previous visitors.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MissDixieDelight
DerryD, Manager at Sea Mist Resort Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

The Sea Mist sincerely regrets the disappointment you felt upon arriving at our humble facility. You being an RCI exchange guests, we fully understand why you might have elevated expectations; some of the properties available through RCI are gorgeous, expansive and have many amenities! RCI also has several properties like ours, where the vacation is more about the destination rather than the motel room or lodging facility.
We work hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay; those efforts include trying to make sure our guests are informed of what they can expect from our facility. We offer a well maintained website full of pictures and information about our motel. Have an expanded description detailed under “Additional Information” on our RCI listing and for all our RCI guests we go a step further and mail/ or e-mail a confirmation with a detailed description of the facility.
It is true, our studio rooms are a bit small and our facility offers only a few Bells & Whistles (indoor pool, hot tub & free Wi-Fi). But to those that have explored the Southern Maine Coastal area we believe Sea Mist still offers great value as a clean and wholesome home base with enough facilities to save you from having to eat every meal out.
Thank you for sharing your opinion.
Sea Mist Management

Reviewed 12 March 2011

Had a great stay at this hotel in Maine for Columbus Day weekend. Simple clean hotel in a good location. Nice indoor pool during the cool weather.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob_Maitra
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Stayed over the Fourth of July weekend with my sister. Room was very small, beds hard and pillows flat! Everthing looked as if corners were cut drastically to save a buck. Bathroom very small and the tub so narrow ,it's fine for a baby. The $25.00 charge for not washing your dishes beats all. Do you really expect guests to eat from dishes washed by other guests> REALLY. SOme system could be worked out to have dirty dishes run through a dishwasher and returned to rooms.
The entrance into the area is a DANGER - absolutely no illumination to show the driveway to parking area. There is a tiny sign with perhalps a 60 watt for lighting, hidden by bushes , no street lights, nothing to assist in making the turn off busy Route 1. One evening, Neither my sister or I could find the motel driveway and I ended up on the front lawn. Definitely a precarious situation. Police take notice.
I found more negative than positives, so would never recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank BostonBrahminNashua
Reviewed 2 July 2010

My husband and I just returned from our week (6 nights) stay at the Sea Mist Motel Resort in Wells Beach, Maine. We made the arrangements for the rental through RCI.

The pros of the motel are that it is a great location- right in the middle between Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. It's a 5 minute drive to the beautiful beach (would be probably a 15 minute bike ride). There are a ton of restaurants and shops a short drive away. There is a CVS and large grocery store with a wine shop less than 5 minutes drive away, which was very convenient. The room was clean and the housekeeping staff was very friendly and thorough. The air conditioner worked great - it was nice and cool. We also could open the windows for fresh air. The internet WiFi service was super convenient and a huge plus. Cable TV was good and they have upgraded to have a VCR/DVD player in the rooms. The cost of the room was a good price for a week's stay. The grounds are well taken care of and the staff was helpful.

The cons of the motel are that it is small. For my husband and I, who are average sized individuals, it was fine. I would caution anyone who is larger or a family, because it may be a bit cramped. The other issue is the bed. It is hard. After the first night on it, I had that stiff neck thing where you can't turn your head and that didn't go away until the 2nd to last day. My husband felt fine though. (I would also suggest bringing your own blanket, the motel blankets were a little worn). The last con is that there is no emergency number to call if there is an issue in the middle of the night (that we were aware of).

It is not a hotel, but a basic motel with some added amenities. We would most likely go back to stay again. All in all- we had a great, relaxing vacation at the beach with lots of fun and delicious dinners!

Restaurant/Food recommendations:

Mike's Clam Shack Restaurant (less than 5 minutes down the road)- AWESOME lobster stew...seriously good- almost a whole lobster in my cup of stew! Also, yummy lobster roll. I also recommend the Seafood Platter - hand battered and fried clams, scallops, haddock, shrimp and onion rings - huge portion and delicious! http://www.mikesclamshack.com

The Lobster Shack (Perkins Cove in Ogunquit)- Great FRESH lobster- no frills, but very quaint and friendly. Good price, great atmosphere and delicious lobster! You order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. Skip the steamers- go for the steamed whole lobster & corn on the cob! http://www.lobster-shack.com/

Scoop Deck (less than 5 minutes in the other direction down the road)- HUGE portions of icecream with a ton of different flavors. Get the Peanut Butter Ididerod- so good. Also, the strawberry shortcake was delicious. We went there 3 times for dessert, it was really good! (I'm in need of a big time diet this week!) http://www.scoopdeck.com/

Maine Diner (down the road a bit- about 10 minutes drive)- Great for breakfast. Super friendly waitress and prompt seating (no wait for us even at 10am). Blueberry pancakes were delicious and the service was excellent! http://www.mainediner.com/

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GretchDahling
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I just got back from a six-night stay at the Sea Mist, and here are my honest impressions of the place.

LOCATION
Thumbs up. Located on its own side road off of Route 1, you are within walking distance to a small nextdoor bar called Origami to the North, as well as the Scoop Deck, an ice cream parlor, a few dozen yards to the South. As far as driving, Wells Beach is literally a five-minute car ride away, as are many local restaurants. There is no traffic light here, so turning left (South) onto Route 1 would be quite a challenge during the busy season, but it was manageable in May. Turning left off Route 1 to get back to the Sea Mist is considerably easier, because there is a "suicide lane" in which you can wait for a break in traffic.

One other observation about being so close to Route 1 is that there are some units very close to the road, and road noise may be an issue, especially if you go to bed early. It was fine in May, however.

THE ROOM LAYOUT
The room is fairly generously sized for a motel, but unfortunately, the poor layout makes it seem smaller than it is. In an ideal layout, you need the following two things to line up:
1. The TV should be directly in front of the bed.
2. The AC / fan / heater should be right next to the bed, or else it needs to be powerful enough so you can at least feel the effects from the bed itself.
Unfortunately, neither of those was the case. You can see why they sort of "had to" lay it out the way it did, but alas, it doesn't quite work well. You just sort of have to "put up" with the awkward room layout in order to enjoy staying here.

THE BED
The beds are only queen-sized, which of course is not ideal for two normal-sized adults. I would like to see these replaced with Kings, for the sake of personal space and a good night's sleep. Regarding the mattress itself, my wife found it too hard, though I found it just right. The blanketry is fairly standard for a cheap motel; the comforter is a rather thin quilt-like blanket with no filling and very little weight as comforters go. Under it, there is also a fuzzy beige synthetic blanket, and a somewhat coarse, low-threadcount, standard white topsheet. Nothing to write home about, but tolerable.

THE TV
First off, the TV is placed in front of the sofabed rather than in front of the bed itself. This makes watching TV from the bed awkward and slightly uncomfortable for both people; very much moreso for whoever is sleeping on the far side.

The TV itself was a joke. It was a pitiful low-end 19-inch cathode ray tube TV. It worked fine, but this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel, as far as TVs are concerned these days. The picture was so small that the heads-up-display on NESN was cut off. I had to take a picture (see my photos) because I thought it was a rather humorous way to illustrate how pathetic the TV was.

In addition, the TV was accompanied by... can you believe ...a VHS player! Woohoo! A hi-fi VHS player! If only I had known, I might have dug my box of videotapes out of the attic to bring along! In all seriousness, the Sea Mist Motel really needs to update all of its TVs and it needs to add DVD players to the room. The entertainment suite in the room is sort of a joke, as-is; barely adequate for the needs of the modern vacationer.

THE AIR CONDITIONER
We roasted in our room, in 65-degree weather, which is just silly. I don't know where the heat was coming from or why the room was so hot. The air conditioning unit itself was rather useless, as it would not stay on, even cranked to Max AC all the way cold. It would run for five minutes then decide to kick off. I wonder if the thermostat was defective or it it was just poorly designed. The fan portion at least stayed on when you set it to Fan Only, but it wasn't cold enough outside for that to be sufficient. And, as I mentioned earlier, the AC unit was too far from the bed for it to do much good.

THE FREE WIRELESS INTERNET
I did happen to bring my laptop, and I can say that the network here was easy to detect and to connect with. I did experience extreme slowness on the first night, due to poor signal strength. However, this cleared up after an hour or so, and did not recur at all during the rest of the week. It was slower than my wireless Internet at home, but still plenty fast enough to be usable and enjoyable. Thumbs up.

There was also a computer available for use by guests in the main office. I didn't really check this out because I had my own, though I did see people on it frequently. The monitor faces the office door, so don't expect any privacy, if you plan to use their computer.

THE "KITCHENETTE"
The kitchenette was a nice idea, but so tiny that it barely served our needs. I mean, the whole point of having a kitchenette is that it's supposed to add value to your vacation by allowing you to eat some meals in the room, avoiding the cost of dining out. Unfortunately, the "kitchenette" comes with the rule: No Cooking In The Room. Gee, thanks. You get a coffeemaker and a minuscule microwave that was probably installed in 1980 and probably has little to no radiation shielding.

On the plus side, they do provide a roll of paper towels, three dish towels, dish soap, and a full place setting for 4 people, and a couple of serving pieces, a couple of tupperware bowls, and a very small (about 5" x 7") plastic cutting board (no knives, though). There is also a mini fridge with adjustable shelving, but no freezer compartment of any kind.

If you wanted to shop at the local grocery store and have cereal and milk, yogurt, sandwiches, or salads, you could probably pull that off. You could also probably store and re-heat restaurant leftovers in the microwave. Anything food-prep-wise beyond that would exceed the capability of this kitchenette. It's probably enough to satisfy the needs of most vacationers, though.

THE BATHROOM
The bathroom situation here is actually not as bad as it looks. The sink is separate from the toilet and shower, which is a good move. The sink is well-lit with a large mirror and good privacy from the rest of the room. The bathroom itself has a very noisy fan that rattled and sounded like it was on its last legs. The lighting in the room is dim, making for a poor reading environment.

The shower had excellent water pressure and consistently hot water. I was impressed.

Strangely enough, the maid kept stealing our soap and replacing it with a fresh bar, which I found unnecessary and wasteful, though I appreciate the thought behind it.

THE ICE MACHINE
The ice machine here is woefully inadequate. It looks like it was built in the 1970s. It has a bizarre ice hopper mechanism where you need to press a button to fill the hopper like some sort of "airlock", at which point you can then pull down on the handle and the ice drops down the chute into your awaiting receptacle. The ice that comes out is very watery and looks half melted. I get the feeling that this machine is on its last legs and could very easily be overtaxed during the regular tourist season.

Furthermore, if you neglected to stock up on ice before the office closes 9pm, you are S.O.L. This is because the ice machine is behind a LOCKED door in the main office, which guests cannot access once the office closes. This is a horrible decision. Who ever heard of a hotel ice machine that guests cannot access at night? Think about it. When are you likely to need ice? During the day when you're out being a tourist? Or at night, when you're back from a dinner out and looking to pour a nice nightcap? In fact, there is even a sign on the machine stating that it is not to be used to fill up a cooler. So clearly it is not for day use, but for use while you are hanging out in your room.

The Sea Mist definitely gets a thumbs down here. Ice should be made available to guests 24/7. They need to replace their ice machine, and move it to a place where guests can access it at all times. (Or leave the main office door unlocked. Or AT LEAST make it so that our room keys can unlock that door.)

CLOTHING STORAGE
Clothing storage is also woefully inadequate. There are three drawers underneath the TV, and six coat hangers. That's it. You had better be able to literally live out of your suitcase, because you certainly aren't unpacking your luggage in this room.

POOL AREA
Thumbs up. This is a bright spot for the Sea Mist. The indoor swimming pool, hot tub, and surrounding outdoor sun deck are actually quite nice. I found them to be clean, updated, and enjoyable. The pool water was warm enough for even my wife, who is fussy (or should I say wimpy?) about water temperature. The hot tub was kept hot enough for our liking, and the jets were in good working order. There are locker rooms and a shower for changing there, if you prefer. (We showered at the pool, per pool rules, but opted to change in our room.) The interior of the pool room is all knotty pine, which, while not particularly interesting, suited me just fine.

The decking on the outside of the pool building provided a nice place to catch some sun without the hassle of schlepping to the beach. Another advantage of the deck is that it is much less windy than the beach. (We actually retreated from the beach to the deck on a particularly windy day.) Although the ambience isn't the best (eau de parking lot) there were plenty of sun chairs and the deck is made of composite plastic faux wood, which is nice for avoiding splinters. (By contrast, the decking outside the bedrooms is made of real wood and is splintery. Make sure you don't exit the bedrooms barefoot.)

PARKING LOT
There is ample parking at the Sea Mist Motel. It is spacious, well-lit, flat, and in good repair. There is a speed bump to discourage leadfooted drivers. There is also a spot to drop off passengers if you have passengers who have difficulty ambulating. I found it to be a thoughtfully laid out parking lot.

CAMPUS - SWINGS AND PICNIC AREA
This is another bright spot for the Sea Mist. There is a very nice small swingset consisting of two baby swings and two normal swings for bigger kids or adults.

Additionally, there are three picnic tables, each with its own charcoal grill available for guest use! This was quite a find - If I had known about it in advance, I would have brought some charcoal and some meat. If I ever stay here again, I will definitely plan on grilling at least one night. This is a brilliant and un-advertised feature that can really extend the value of the included kitchenette.

FRONT DESK STAFF
We had a nice experience during check-in with the front desk staff. I can see why some reviewers have said the staff may have seemed unfriendly, though. There were some who gave us funny or suspicious or annoyed looks when we used the pool or entered the office to get ice, like we were perhaps bothering them or interrupting their day, or that they thought we might perhaps be up to no good. I was definitely not overwhelmed with warm-fuzzy feelings emanating from the staff, though they were not overtly rude or apathetic either.

Also, they were consistently using the office phone for personal calls pretty much every time I walked in, although they were very good about hanging up immediately if I needed something. I'm not making excuses for them, but I didn't have a problem with this. I've had friendlier service elsewhere, but then again this is somewhat typical for New England - in general, we charge more for service and the service attitude is worse here than in most of the rest of the country. I wouldn't say this is specific to the Sea Mist at all. I found the front desk staff to be quite "normal" for the region, if that makes sense.

MAID SERVICE
The maid service was unobtrusive, polite, and for the most part, observant. They passed by our room without hassling us, if we hung the Do Not Disturb sign on the exterior doorknob. If we forgot to hang it, they knocked first before entering. If we left for the day, we came back to a clean room with every personal item just as we left it. My only complaint is that I had taken the 2 extra sheets from the sofa-bed to use as an extra sheet on the main bed, and the maid kept removing them without replacing them. So we went from 3 sheets to 2 sheets to only 1 sheet by the end of the week. This was mildly frustrating, but other than that, they did a fine job.

RECYCLING
Huge thumbs up here. There were recycling receptacles outside near the stairwells, which I thoroughly applaud. I wish more tourist-driven establishments made it easier for people to recycle. The container was just for bottles, cans, and plastic, no paper or cardboard. Still, it was better than most other motels.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
Overall, the Sea Mist was an OK - not outstanding, but fairly decent - place to stay. It's a glorified motel. Or maybe even not-so-glorified. If you compare it to a Motel 6, the Sea Mist probably wins in most areas. If you compare it to a typical RCI "timeshare resort", though, it comes out significantly worse.

Before trading your timeshare week here, you need to be aware that you are trading for, quite literally, a mid-to-low-end motel. It is not upscale, luxury, updated, or full-service, by any definition of those words. It isn't romantic, it isn't classy, and it isn't going to impress anyone.

However, if you have an RCI exchange week to burn, and you want a getaway in Wells, ME with your significant other and/or 1 or 2 small children, the Sea Mist Motel could suit your needs admirably.

I know my review seemed harsh, and there is definitely room for improvement in many aspects of this motel. However, I would absolutely stay here again. For the money I paid, it wasn't too bad a setup.

Hopefully the rough spots I cited in this review will be corrected by the owners over time, but in the meantime, they *can* be tolerated, and you will still have an enjoyable vacation here.

Good luck!