New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Alexandria, Virginia
“Not Worth The Money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Upon arriving at the Super 8 in Westbrook/Portland I noticed a McDonald's bag and litter in the parking lot. I decided to still stay here for the night and definitely regretted my decision. The front desk clerk was professional, friendly and customer oriented. However, the building itself is disgusting and my room was not very clean. The hotel carpets are stained and there is missing trim on the walls in the hallways. In my room there was hair in the tub and on the wall. There was also lint on the floor and worst of all when my wife opened one of the end table drawers she discovered that there was leftover food in the drawer including a banana, cookies, crackers, a ramen bowl and a ripped up styrofoam cup. This hotel may be cheaper but I will never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shrek1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
augusta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

As I was about to check into the room, the cleaning staff blocked me and they were concerned about a left over fish smell from the previous tennent. THey immediately ran to the office, switched rooms and took care of the paperwork. Now that is being concerned about the details and making sure I had a pleasant stay. My room was clean with plenty of elbow room. The lazy boy chair definately needs replacing, you just sink into it. They are updating the hallways which is needed. I always stay in nonsmoking rooms so the room smelled fresh. I will stay here again when back in Portland.

Room Tip: ask for non smoking
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pippenAugusta
Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

First time at this property and was suspicious of some of the negative postings. I found the hotel to be of standard quality and the room I was given was very clean. The beds were too soft for my comfort and probably need to be replaced due to their age. The hotel is undergoing a great deal of updating before the summer travel season. The WiFi signal was very strong and I had no problem using my laptop. The hotel pictures seem to suggest the pool is much bigger than it really is. The included complimentary breakfast was adequate and I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of hard-boiled eggs. I plan to stay here again when I return to the Portland area.

Room Tip: Numerous restaurants and a supermarket in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Bangor, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I tried economy accomodations on my latest business trip. The employees were friendly and I had no real problems with the room, but this is not a place I will stay at again. The floors were stained with grease and tar from all of the construction workers. The stale cigarette smell was very off-putting.

On another note, I was e-mailed by the manager of this location to thank me choosing his hotel. I told him the same things I mentioned above and he was very polite, thanked me for the feedback, and said that they work really hard to keep a clean hotel despite the construction patrons they serve. I thought this personal contact was a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank aaronmhuotari
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Pros: Quiet enough, good location off I95, Good free breakfast, ample parking
Bad: Febreeze or airfreshener stinking up the room on arrival, soot stains on sheets, tv in a weird location in room
Ugly: The pool and hot tub were sooo gross. It doesn't even look like it was cleaned and there was sludge on the bottom of the hottub.

I'd stay elsewhere if there was somewhere else in the area, with a similar price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank laurensmith2
Super8Westbrook, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Portland/Westbrook Area, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Thank you for taking time to write a review. You are right, our location is convenient and our free breakfast is always well accepted. I am sorry to read that your stay was unpleasant and I wish I learned of your problems during your stay. I can guarantee you our sheets are clean and changed every day, we have laundry on site. Our pool and spa are cleaned, tested and regulated every day. We empty our spa on a regular basis. There is a chipped bottom in the spa that might come across as not clean, but I can assure you we have clean facility. I hope you will give us another opportunity.
Forest Hills, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

This is consistently one of the cheapest places to stay in the Portland area. Rental car or other vehicle is a must, as taxis are quite expensive. But anyway I stayed here in August. Back in June I stayed at the nearby Howard Johnson and that was nice. The Super 8 chain is supposed to be slightly a step down below HoJo from what I understand (since it's the same parent company, Wyndham), but I liked the Super 8 a lot better. The breakfast is great, considering it's free.

The rooms are pretty good. Beds are comfortable, sheets are clean and everything. Sure, the room might not be spotless (especially the bathroom) but you shouldn't seriously expect 5-star quality at a 2-star motel. I stayed in a double room the first night and a king bed room the second night. The king bed was nicer and that room had a recliner and a fridge.

The staff here are phenomenal. I had booked the rooms on two different websites, so I had to sort of check out and re-check in; but during breakfast I asked and by 10:30 they called me in my room to say the new room was ready. They also bake cookies daily and have them at the front desk, although usually they run out around 9pm (as I learned the hard way last time). Breakfast starts at 5 or 6 I think, so if you're on an early morning flight you're almost out of luck -- there's a 24/7 Burger King right next door. Nonetheless, this was one thing I liked about the Super 8 -- the HoJo had a restaurant and a Friendly's, so no free breakfast (you got a substantial (20-30%) discount with your room key). A free breakfast is always better than a free-ish one ;)

The parking lot goes around the entire property, so you're able to park close to your room. I didn't go in the pool but you can see it from outside (huge windows -- which might be sorta creepy but I'm sure it's nice when it's a nice day out). It was large enough for several small parties to have enough space. Looked like a nice facility although you could smell the chlorine in the hall immediately outside of the pool area.

Overall, I think this place is a winner. Don't go in expecting too much and you will be pleased. I'm heading back to Portland in a few weeks and with all the promos that Wyndham Rewards is having, as well as the quality and value of this facility, I wouldn't consider staying anyplace else.

Room Tip: King Bed rooms are nicer; mine had a recliner and a fridge. Also, the ends of the hallways are wher...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed at this motel 2 nights in mid-September. The essentials of the room were equal to what we had paid about double for the night before in the suburbs of Boston. The free breakfast menu exceeded in variety and prearation all others we had throughout our 16 day vacation in New England and Maine. Being able to park near the room and the provision of breakfast made early morning departures easy.
The staff memebers were friendly, ready to be of service. They run a very good operation.

Room Tip: Corner rooms risk less disturbing noises from other rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
0.2 km away
#2 of 12 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,189 reviews
3.8 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport

Been to Super 8 Portland/Westbrook Area? Share your experiences!