All reviews indoor pool across the street suites building ocean suite splash pad long sands beach third floor free coffee donuts gas fireplace heated floors get away beautiful ocean small fridge high tide room was clean and comfortable nubble lighthouse
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived on Friday 2/17. Upon check-in we were asked by the male desk clerk how the ride up was. When my boyfriend replied it was fine and there was no traffic the desk clerk's reply was it couldn't have gone that well she's still with you and pointed to me. We were speechless! I actually think the young girl at the desk was very embarassed. She started making small talk with me about the weather. More inappropriate comments followed before we finally were given the key to our 3rd floor room. When I asked if there was an elevator to the 3rd floor, his response was to raise his arm in the air, snap his fingers and yell "BOY, BOY". At this point a young man came running from a back office to help us with our bags. I felt bad for this young man to have to put up with this kind of treatment on the job.

This hotel does not include anything but a below average room! Not even a comlementary cup of coffee is included! I now understand why they require payment up front as we never would have stayed the second night if we had't already paid for it. We would NEVER return to this hotel and the experience was so bad it has prompted me to write this review which is the first review I have felt the need to write. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

Date of stay: February 2012
8  Thank mbm1128
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Hi mbm1128,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. I apologize for my slow response to your review, but wanted to provide as much information as possible in my response.

I can assure you, at this point in time, that this individual has been addressed and that this type of behavior is not acceptable at the Inn. I do wish that you had mentioned something during your stay as I am always available when a guest has a concern or question.

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel our rooms were up to your standards. I can not tell if you mentioned anything or if other options were provided to you. We have many different room types and each guest has different preferences. While some guests prefer the Main Building due to the best ocean views, other prefer the Atrium Building due to the Indoor Pool in that building and the more traditional hotel style rooms with interior corridors. We always seek to satisfy our guests by offering different room types if the one that they reserved is not meeting their needs.

We do hope that the remainder of your stay went well and you were able to enjoy all that York has to offer.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

We enjoyed our winter weekend getaway to Maine. The Anchorage Inn is a nice hotel in a great location. The staff could not have been nicer; they were so helpful on check-in and recommending a great place to eat. I recommend staying in the Atrium building; it is a newer building with an indoor pool. We would definitely stay here again.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ragzz
Reviewed January 10, 2012

The title says it all! The swimming pools were filthy as well. No maintenance help available after 4:00 PM or on Sunday. Our advice: go somewhere else....plenty of other nice hotels to stay in around the area

Room tip: none of the rooms are quiet
Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Kevin F
AnchorageInnManager, General Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2012

Hi Kevin F,

I apologize for the slow response to your posting as I've spent a considerable amount of time researching your review.

I personally sent you a message through tripadvisor to try to get more information about your stay. I haven't gotten a response from you.

We take comments on this issue very seriously and investigate each individually. We complete annual inspections and utilize an outside pest control company to complete these inspections using the highest form of detection - service animals to sniff out such pests. Looking at your review, it appears that you stayed with us in September. We had inspections occur (quarterly and annual) by these service animals both in the spring and summer months to ensure there were not any of these issues. I can tell you with great pride that no traces of such pests were found.

Annual training also occurs annually with all of our staff on pests and specifically on bed bugs. We take a very proactive approach in dealing with this issue. We apologize for your discomfort, but can not take responsibility for this issue. We pride ourselves on offering a safe, clean environment for all our guests.

You also noted in your review that maintenance staff were not available after 4pm. I find this a bit puzzling as during September our maintenance staff is here on Sunday evenings until 10pm and on call after that. If you could provide more information regarding this I would sincerely appreciate it. We always strive to meet our guests needs and have the staff available to do so.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Once again we stayed at the Anchorage. We love to stay here when we go to Maine so were pleased to get an email about the New Year's Eve package, which we booked and extended to 2 nights. Price was right and we enjoyed ourselves for the most part. We were in the Atrium building and I read the 3 negative reviews written about New Year's (I'm sure from the same group) but we didn't run into anything like that. I've downgraded the star rating this time for a couple of things, and they may be nit-picking but we love this place and thought we should mention them. We had a lovely 2nd floor room and the view is always nice, but this room was smaller than others we've stayed in. The bathroom cabinet under the sink was partially unpainted on the side. Imagine our surprise when at 10:15 on Sunday morning, there was a slip on our door saying that housekeeping couldn't do our room because of our "Do Not Disturb" sign and we should call the desk for fresh towels. 10:15 is WAY too early for them to say they're not cleaning the room. On the plus side - we called the front desk and, as always, they were very responsive. Someone was in the building within 5 minutes looking for our housekeeper and, yes, the room was totally cleaned. The New Year's package included dinner at the Sun 'n Surf Restaurant. The food was good but they didn't have several kinds of fairly common liquors and they had run out of several dinners and a dessert when we got there at 8:30. Seems like that could have been organized a bit better. We did swim in the Atrium pool but it was COLD - no way it's 81 degrees! Again, though, it was clean and well kept. All in all, we still love this place and it will remain our "go to" stay in Maine but it wasn't terrific this time. BTW - there still are no coffee makers :(

Room tip: We prefer the Atrium building - not directly on the ocean but one side does have ocean views and you don't have to go outside to get to a pool.
Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank reddalmation2003

Hi reddalmation2003,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay on New Year's Eve. I appreciate you bringing the small details to our attention - they will certainly be addressed and taken care of.

In looking at your reservation, it appears that you were in the very front room of the Atrium Building. This room may be slightly smaller then others - but some prefer it because, being in the very front of the building, it has the best ocean view for that building. In the future, if you prefer a different room, please just let the individual making your reservation know. They are happy to try to find the best room for your stay.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We really enjoyed our room in the Atrium building with the 100 foot long lap pool. We practically had the building to ourselves because it was off season - this also made the prices reasonable. The staff was very pleasant and accomodating, our room was clean and bright, and the mattress was exceptionally comfortable. Minor issues were noted, such as the door handle on the bathroom was worn, TV smallish, and no coffee service in room or in the Atrium building, so we had to go to the front office for coffee in the mornings. Didn't mind paying for the coffee, but the cups were very small (6oz?) - they should offer a larger size option. All in all we were very pleased and would stay here again. The location is wonderful, views of the ocean are stunning, and you have the option to walk the beach whenever you please.

Room tip: If you have kids, the Atrium building with lap pool is a must - they love it!
Date of stay: November 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Chickcc

Hi Chickcc -

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the Atrium in November - it is a great time to experience York!

I will share your feedback with our staff - I can say that we will be adding individual coffee makers into the rooms this spring, so that the walk to the Main Office building for coffee will be eliminated!

We hope that you and your family enjoyed all that Maine has to offer and hope to see you in the future!