See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 12, 2016

I am a frequent traveler. I used to work as a flight attendant for Emirates Airline and currently work as a freelance writer & travel blogger. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels and I have got to tell you, staying at Long Beach Motor Inn was really a one of a kind experience! For starters, many places lack the person touch that Mr. Gary offers. He is a genuine person who cares for his place and you can tell he puts his heart and soul into it. Did you know that he started the place with his mom in 1970s? Have a chat with him about it. He would love to tell you! Gary cleans all the rooms himself and he does an excellent job at maintaining the place. It's a lot of work and he always has so much energy! Yes, there are speed bumps around the property but it is to protect anyone from getting hurt. When you enter the driveway just go over them on a bit of an angle and you will be fine!!! The motel is located just across from the beach. You have to walk over some rocks, so make sure you bring proper shoes. You are also in walking distance to a lot of little restaurants. But, as an insider tip, I would say get in your car and head to the many restaurants located on Route 1. My two top places to recommend would be Anthony's Food Shop or Fisherman's Shack. In short, I would definitely recommend this little motel. If you are looking for a modern, upscale place this is not for you (and trust me, we stayed at one of those the night before and it was a terrible experience!). But, if you are looking for a great place to spend a few days with a guy who puts all his heart in soul into his work, then you found the right place!

Room Tip: if you want ocean views ask for room 1 or 18 when booking
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank aa0693a
Reviewed August 28, 2016

The check in and checkout was fine. Mr. Gary [--] "the owner" is an awesome person. He was kind and had a positive attitude. . The rooms were very comfortable and clean and included everything a traveler could want whether on business or personal trip.
Long Beach motor inn and its environment is very clean, well maintained and worth the money. I will definitely be returning! Thanks to the Great man behind all this. Mr. Gary [--].

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Bellagross
Reviewed August 28, 2016

We spent a spontaneous night at Long Beach during a heat wave in August in Boston. Gary, the proprietor, couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Since we checked in so late in the day on Saturday, he allowed us to pay a little extra to stay in the room and on the property for the whole day on Sunday. We had stayed at the Anchorage Inn many times and the reviews that describe the dated decor of the Long Beach (especially compared to Anchorage, which was built much more recently) are definitely true. At the same time, Long Beach is less zoo-ey than the Anchorage and our family found the retro furnishings and style charming and not at all musty as other reviews have stated. It is true that the rooms are dark and cool (by design, I suspect) and so towels and wet bathing suits don't dry very quickly in the room (Gary's trick of "baking" them on the hood of our car worked well, which is frowned upon at the Anchorage and other tonier spots in York). If you're going to stay here and want perfectly dry bathing suits and towels each time you swim, bring extras and be happy.

The outdoor pool is small but very warm and clean--not over chlorinated. The grounds are cute and fun--there's a fire pit, a ping pong table, and shuffleboard--all original, I suspect. No hot tub, the wifi signal strength wasn't super, the kettle took forever to heat up on the ancient electric coils, and the bath towels were comically small, but you can't have everything in this life. :) We were happy toggling between the pool and the beach across the street and not being in the hot city.

You have to walk to the beach over a strip of beach rocks, so it's probably best for little ones (and tender-footed adults) to wear water shoes or flip flops, but the sand is fine and soft once you get past the rocks and the ocean water was perfect.

Our family will definitely return to Long Beach and we highly encourage you to check it out!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank JeffLib
Reviewed August 15, 2016 via mobile

How does this place have so many decent reviews?? This was the officially worst motel I've ever stayed in, even worse than the Days Inn in Harrisburg, PA and various NYC hostels. First of all, the rate was ridiculously high for what it is, plus $15 extra per person, even little ones?! Getting into the room, I was immediately hit with the strong stench of mildew. So bad. I could forgive the extremely retro room (it could even be cool with a few small changes) and everything else, but the smell was terrible. Unpacking my clothes, what I slept in smells like mildew now too. Fortunately none of us woke up sick. The early 10am checkout wasn't an issue since we wanted to get out of there as soon as the sun was up. And yes, the speed bumps were brutal. Wish we had booked elsewhere. I will say that the owner was friendly, and the outside amenities looked nice, but I still felt duped and price gouged.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank Dwizzler
Reviewed August 8, 2016

Gary ------------- the hotel owner was verbally abusive to myself, my friend and her daughter.
The rooms smelled like mothballs and the AC sounded like a freight train.
After seeing the disgusting rooms we decided to find another place to stay.
Gary charged us a $100 cancellation fee for staying less than ten minutes on his property.
He called the police and I was forced to pay what I call a blackmail fee.
He screamed and yelled at us to leave and when we did he called the cops.
This guy should not be running any type of hospitality business as he was the most un hospitable, threading individual I have ever met.
Stay away....stay far, far away
Felt like the Bates Motel.
Who would ever be so rude and threading to make a child cry....that guy is Gary ---------- !

Room Tip: Stay away from this place
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
9  Thank Tiffy603
longbeachmotorinn, Public Relations Manager at Long Beach Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2016

Stephanie ;

Your review is a falsehood , looking for empathy & remorse from the facts .

You created a reservation with a third party on line web site July 21 2016 at 9 22 pm.

Your reservation was for two nights

Your reservation was made for 2 adults only .

Your reservations was for 1 car only .

It was clearly written and posted in the policies , Each additional car and or person is $ 20.00 per day .

Your check in date was July 29 2016 at 3 pm . You showed up at 12 noon on that day . Gary informed that your accommodations weren’t ready and

that the check in time was ( 3 pm ) posted in the polices and sent to you when you completed your reservation .

You were angry and left . You then came back at around 3 35 pm . Then you told Gary that you were three people and two cars .

Gary informed you that you failed to disclose this important information at the time you made your reservation .

Gary informed you at check in time in the office you were going to be charged for the 2nd car and the third person a total of $ 40.00 per day . You got

angry yet again .

Once Gary checked you in at 3 38 pm on July 29 2016 you called Expedia to cancel your reservation with out Gary knowledge and continued to use the

accommodations committing a " theft of service " from an innkeeper .

Then Expedia called Gary at 3 57 pm to inform him that Stephanie had cancelled her reservation . This made your credit card use a " worthless instrument "

continuing to commit a theft of service .

When Gary was notified he went to get you out of the accommodations and had every right to do so . He asked you to proceed to the office to pay the

cancellation fee. But you ran and so did the other adult . You both got into your cars leaving in a hurry trying to avoid paying your responsible cancellation

fee .

From that point Gary called the police . He informed the dispatch of the theft of service just committed .

An officer was dispatched . When the police arrived Gary informed the officer of the facts and gave all the important information requested . Then the

police went about tracking you down and ordered you back to Long Beach Motor Inn .

The police officer explained what you did was wrong He gave you two options . To pay the Cancellation fee , or be charged with theft of service .

You paid the cancellation fee . That was a good decision because the theft of service would have cost you a lot more and with a court conviction it would have given you a criminal record !

Another important issue is your demeaning and insulting claim that our York Police and officer black mailed you .

So far from the truth . We are a very proud and strong Community in York Beach . We are all very proud of the out standing job our police department does every day making our community one of the safest in Maine and our country .

They are hard working Men & Women making sure we are safe and certainly don't participating in black mailing any one as you claim !

What a awful and disrespectful accusation you made of a police office .

Your remarks are are so far from the truth . Gary has been in the hospitality industry for 39 years and his record speaks volumes with years of success that has brought happiness to so many wonderful guest and there families .

Your sad tirade is that disposition with no credibility .

I offer any one interested who wishes to read the truth can get access to the police report at the York Police Dept. Report # 16-483-OF

Stephanie has not told the truth .

Mr. .Ed .mgr.