See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 13, 2016

We try to stay here every year since we discovered it and really enjoy it. The owner/operator is wonderful and always makes himself available to help in any way he possibly can to make our stay just right! He's so conscientious that I don't know how he has the energy to keep up with everything, but somehow he does. Always keeps the rooms very clean, and the outside flowers and landscaping touches are just beautiful as well. This year we noticed that there are even beach chairs available for rent if you don't have your own ($5 each, I think.) The Fall special is a great deal (it was $140/night this year for two people, three nights or longer) There was a microwave, two-burner electric stove, sink, small refrigerator, and table in the room. There was also ping-pong and shuffleboard outside - fun and much-appreciated touches, and the pool is kept very clean. Remember to bring your own hairdryer. Shampoo and lotion were provided. This isn't your typical high-end chain hotel. It's an older motel (built around 1978, I believe) that's been in the family for many years where the owner truly CARES and takes great pride in his inn (and it SHOWS.) The free wi-fi worked well, and the flat-screen tv had quite a few channels with very good reception. I had to go outside to one of the picnic tables for Verizon cellphone reception for my particular phone, but it was fine out there. The speed bumps are quite high, so I wouldn't recommend bringing a low-riding car since you might scrape bottom a bit, but otherwise it can't be beat for the price and kitchenette. You can see the gorgeous ocean right from your window, and the only thing that separates you from it is the two-lane road which is easy and quick to walk across using the designated pedestrian crossing right out front (by law the traffic is required to stop for pedestrians within the walkway, and they usually do.) We'll be returning for sure! (We're in no way related to the owner so this is quite objective. We just very happily found this place on an internet search.)

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J B
Reviewed September 12, 2016

I am a frequent traveler. I used to work as a flight attendant for Emirates Airline and currently work as a freelance writer & travel blogger. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels and I have got to tell you, staying at Long Beach Motor Inn was really a one of a kind experience! For starters, many places lack the person touch that Mr. Gary offers. He is a genuine person who cares for his place and you can tell he puts his heart and soul into it. Did you know that he started the place with his mom in 1970s? Have a chat with him about it. He would love to tell you! Gary cleans all the rooms himself and he does an excellent job at maintaining the place. It's a lot of work and he always has so much energy! Yes, there are speed bumps around the property but it is to protect anyone from getting hurt. When you enter the driveway just go over them on a bit of an angle and you will be fine!!! The motel is located just across from the beach. You have to walk over some rocks, so make sure you bring proper shoes. You are also in walking distance to a lot of little restaurants. But, as an insider tip, I would say get in your car and head to the many restaurants located on Route 1. My two top places to recommend would be Anthony's Food Shop or Fisherman's Shack. In short, I would definitely recommend this little motel. If you are looking for a modern, upscale place this is not for you (and trust me, we stayed at one of those the night before and it was a terrible experience!). But, if you are looking for a great place to spend a few days with a guy who puts all his heart in soul into his work, then you found the right place!

Room Tip: if you want ocean views ask for room 1 or 18 when booking
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank aa0693a
Reviewed August 28, 2016

The check in and checkout was fine. Mr. Gary [--] "the owner" is an awesome person. He was kind and had a positive attitude. . The rooms were very comfortable and clean and included everything a traveler could want whether on business or personal trip.
Long Beach motor inn and its environment is very clean, well maintained and worth the money. I will definitely be returning! Thanks to the Great man behind all this. Mr. Gary [--].

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Bellagross
Reviewed August 28, 2016

We spent a spontaneous night at Long Beach during a heat wave in August in Boston. Gary, the proprietor, couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Since we checked in so late in the day on Saturday, he allowed us to pay a little extra to stay in the room and on the property for the whole day on Sunday. We had stayed at the Anchorage Inn many times and the reviews that describe the dated decor of the Long Beach (especially compared to Anchorage, which was built much more recently) are definitely true. At the same time, Long Beach is less zoo-ey than the Anchorage and our family found the retro furnishings and style charming and not at all musty as other reviews have stated. It is true that the rooms are dark and cool (by design, I suspect) and so towels and wet bathing suits don't dry very quickly in the room (Gary's trick of "baking" them on the hood of our car worked well, which is frowned upon at the Anchorage and other tonier spots in York). If you're going to stay here and want perfectly dry bathing suits and towels each time you swim, bring extras and be happy.

The outdoor pool is small but very warm and clean--not over chlorinated. The grounds are cute and fun--there's a fire pit, a ping pong table, and shuffleboard--all original, I suspect. No hot tub, the wifi signal strength wasn't super, the kettle took forever to heat up on the ancient electric coils, and the bath towels were comically small, but you can't have everything in this life. :) We were happy toggling between the pool and the beach across the street and not being in the hot city.

You have to walk to the beach over a strip of beach rocks, so it's probably best for little ones (and tender-footed adults) to wear water shoes or flip flops, but the sand is fine and soft once you get past the rocks and the ocean water was perfect.

Our family will definitely return to Long Beach and we highly encourage you to check it out!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank JeffLib
Reviewed August 15, 2016 via mobile

How does this place have so many decent reviews?? This was the officially worst motel I've ever stayed in, even worse than the Days Inn in Harrisburg, PA and various NYC hostels. First of all, the rate was ridiculously high for what it is, plus $15 extra per person, even little ones?! Getting into the room, I was immediately hit with the strong stench of mildew. So bad. I could forgive the extremely retro room (it could even be cool with a few small changes) and everything else, but the smell was terrible. Unpacking my clothes, what I slept in smells like mildew now too. Fortunately none of us woke up sick. The early 10am checkout wasn't an issue since we wanted to get out of there as soon as the sun was up. And yes, the speed bumps were brutal. Wish we had booked elsewhere. I will say that the owner was friendly, and the outside amenities looked nice, but I still felt duped and price gouged.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family