“Wonderful August Visti”
Review of Stage Neck Inn

Stage Neck Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Reviewed 30 September 2017

Each year we visit SNI in June, August and October! But TripAdvisor makes you wait a certain amount of time to post a review between visits which is why this is a little late.

August in Maine and at the Stage Neck Inn is HEAVEN!!!

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning. So good and so many choices!

The property is in full bloom in August which we enjoyed.

All of our favorite people took great care of us of course!
Tracey in Housekeeping goes above and beyond.
Scott and Susie in the dining room are fabulous.
Miss Phoebe is always making sure everyone is enjoying themselves while running a very tight ship!

See you in October!

1  Thank scrappingmytravels
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Wow, you really do like the Stage Neck Inn! That, indeed, makes us very happy to know!

We also thank you for your patronage, and we so look forward to welcoming you back, real soon.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

We stayed in an oceanfront corner king room which was wonderful. Comfortable king bed, gas fireplace (not used in the 80's) and a balconey that looked out over the Atlantic Ocean. Bedside tables with plugs for smart phones! Nice size bathroom with walk in shower and very nice products. In room coffee maker. Housekeeping did a through job morning and evening turn down. Room temperature was comfortable with ceiling fan on. The only update I would make is for a more modern AC system ....there is still a wall unit. The breakfast buffet was good, 18% gratuity is added on and charged to you. After three mornings the buffet items did not change. We stayed here for a family wedding (which was also very well organized) and plan to visit York Harbor again. We look forward to returning to the Stage Neck Inn.

Stayed: September 2017

Thank you for staying with us, and thank you so much for taking the time to write a nice review of the inn.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed all the inn has to offer. I will be sure to pass on your great comments to our staff.

We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We had a wonderful weekend at the Stage Neck Inn celebrating our 50th Anniversary. We were greeted like old friends at the Front Desk when we checked in. Even though we didn't have dinner reservations the Shearwater staff; Sue, Caitlin and Katie among others made sure we had a table with an ocean view. The dinner was excellent. The vast breakfast buffet was very good ( the donuts were memorable). The harbor view was very comfortable, grounds were beautiful and the views spectacular. Phoebe and her staff made us feel special! Maybe next time we'll be able to reserve an ocean view room.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bithacee
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thank you so much for staying at the inn to celebrate your 50th Anniversary! I also want to thank you for mentioning some of our staff members. It pleases me to know that you enjoyed your dinner, the breakfast buffet, and all that the inn has to offer.

Just give us a call when you want to return and we will be sure to get you that ocean view room!

Thank you for the lovely review!

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We keep coming back thinking this place will improve but it hasn't. No longer very personal. Very pricey. Rooms can really vary. Some are nice. Some are musty. Know what you are getting. Staff not very friendly at all. Overall a disappointment again! Restaurant was refinished but food was not great. Charged over $50 for breakfast for 2 with 18% tip added. The views and walks are great but you can find someplace else that is as nice and not as expensive. Think this place is now converting more to a conference center and losing its personal touch.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine C

We are extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. We appreciate that you have been with us a few times, but so disappointed to know that you found the inn no longer personal.

Many of our staff members have been with us for a while now, and we have always prided ourselves with offering such wonderful hospitality. I am so sorry that this was not the case. I will be sure to pass this on to my entire staff members, for this is definitely not what we are all about.

As for the breakfast, it is a complimentary breakfast, however, the service fee is extra.

I thank you for staying with us again, but I would personally like for you to contact me directly if you should ever want to try us again in the future. I would so like for you to come back and enjoy a better stay.

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I needed an "alone getaway" and Stage Neck Inn was the perfect place. The rooms are refreshing and spacious. I loved the electric fireplace to set the ambiance in the evening - especially as I watched Game of Thrones on my ipad (no HBO at Inn).

The bed was fabulous and I loved all the pillows - I had some of the best nights sleep in a long time. Even during one afternoon (after taking pictures of the Eclipse), I took a nap and kept the balcony door open. The lovely breeze and the waves crashing against the rocks was perfect to fall asleep too. They have a turn-down service in the evening which is quite nice - and the give you a card with the next day's weather and tide schedule so you can plan accordingly.

The food was very good and the service was even better. I will do a separate review of the restaurant. The breakfast buffet was included in the price of my room and was very good.

I spent some time at the pool which was refreshing and positioned so you can watch the beach right in front of you. It was perfect to relax and listen to the waves crashing without having to be down on the beach since I didn't bring any chairs or beach gear. The grill at pool had some of the best Fish Taco's I've ever had. Fresh Mahi Mahi that was out of this world!

This is now on my "Must come back" each year. Whether with my husband or solo - it's was fabulous!

Room Tip: I loved the ocean view rooms - beautiful sunrises.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your recent "alone getaway". We thank you choosing the Stage Neck Inn!!

Next time you are here and the weather is beach weather, we do have beach chairs available at the outdoor pool. But, I think relaxing at the outdoor pool is also the best! The views of stellar, for sure.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

This was my third trip to the Inn, and the second for just my daughter and myself. She is now 18 and we are combining the ocean get away with some pre-college outlet shopping. The Stageneck Inn was the perfect place, just as I remember to relax us and feed us and allow us to do however much we wanted. The Inn has been updated since my last stay with a cool color palette and some nice room amenities including the amish fireplace. The exterior is in excellent repair, despite how difficult it is to keep buildings near the ocean pristine. We took advantage of the public beach right next door and the pool. And the inroom coffee maker which had a very good selection of teas. It felt like they had thought of everything for us. The included buffett breakfast was plentiful. I am on a restricted diet and was able to find tasty options. We sat on the patio and looked at the ocean.

The only downside was the main restaurant environment. It has been remodeled and there are now TVs within site of almost all the tables. I don't mind this in a restaurant when I am paying $12 for a meal, but when paying $25, I expect to not be distracted by the sports channel. Unfortunately, the service out of the kitchen was a bit slow for both dinner and lunch. The food was very good - I had scallops on a salad and the mediterranean appetizer. More importantly, when I informed the server about my diet restrictions, she went back into the kitchen for me to customize a dish. My daughter had the lobster roll and it was obviously a full lobster worth of meat.

The service for the rest of our stay was just as personal and top notch. After we left, my daughter realized she had left a new dress in the room. When we contacted the hotel, they initially said that housekeeping couldn't find it but they would contact us - and a few short hours later, someone had found it in laundry and they called us. We were outlet shopping only 10 minutes away so we drove back to get it. They had double checked for us.

Just to give you an idea of the clientele and overall experience - we were there for the eclipse. Outside along the ocean, there are tables and adirondack chairs. Around the time of the eclipse, famiiles were out on the lawn with their glasses, one woman was there with her fancy large camera to take pictures, and everyone was sort of milling about sharing their ways of looking at the sun. If you didn't have glasses, people were sharing. It was a great way to see this unique event.

Overall, I look forward to going again soon. Its a well-placed respite, really the best of both worlds along this part of Maine - close to outlet shopping and the other coastal towns and beaches, but quiet and self-contained.

Room Tip: Harbor view rooms are the best value because you can see the ocean, watch the boat traffic, hear the...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Thank you so very much for staying at the inn, once again. Happy to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed all that the inn and the area has to offer. The outlet shopping just 10 minutes away in Kittery is the best...always bargains to be found!!

I am, however, sorry to hear that the service from the kitchen was slow on two occasions. We pride ourselves in offering the best in service, so that was disturbing for me to read about. I am, however, very happy to know that the food and the wait service was good. Our kitchen could have been backed up with orders. Regardless, my apologies.

As for customizing dishes for those guests who have dietary restrictions, we certainly do that happily. I appreciate reading about your comments on our new restaurant environment. We did redesign our dining room, and thought hard and long about putting a bar in the same room. It seems that guests enjoy that kind of environment more and more, so we decided to do that. If the TV's are on, they are on silent mode. At dinner time, we typically turn them off until later in the evening.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

the hotellocation is one of the nicest along the new englands east coast. we stayed for only one night with our two little girls. the rooms are large enough and clean and offer nice views. the beach is just outside the hotel and the swimming pool area offers plenty of fun for the kids too.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
SNIgm, General Manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

You are sure right about the location of the hotel. It sits so nicely overlooking the Atlantic ocean, and being right next to the York Harbor beach and the outdoor pool, makes it even that much more appealing for our guests.

We thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. Hope to have you as guests again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near York Harbor
11.1 km away
Cliff House Maine
Cliff House Maine
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick

Been to Stage Neck Inn? Share your experiences!