“Just not what it used to be....”
Review of The Cakery

The Cakery
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Bowie
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 22, 2017 via mobile

So after the new owners took over and after being treated rudely on several occasions and stopped trying. Last night someone gave me a groupon certificate that was going to expire that day so I decided it was worth a free try. I was really hoping they had improved since I am a baked goods nut. Since it was 3 pm when I arrived I was not surprised they had very little to choose from. The raspberry bar was good. I also got the chocolate gnash tort. That was a mistake. It was dry and had a bitter after taste. The chocolate crust was dry and lacked flavor. The last thing I got was the flourless chocolate square topped with with a mouse. It was a bit refrigerator burned and was pretty mediocre. For the price it was not worth it and not worth my 3 mile drive to check it out

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank 34hughb

Reviewed December 9, 2016 via mobile

They are the amazingly delicious and beautiful. Worth going just for that. The Cakery is a little hard to find on the backside of a shopping center, but it's worth looking for. Friendly staff.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed July 25, 2016

Everything I have ever had from the Cakery has been delicious. Their decorated cakes are beautiful. Fresh baked goods are pricey but worth it!

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed December 11, 2015 via mobile

Buyer beware! While I had hoped to resolve this once the owner saw the quotes I received, he unfortunately opted not to respond. I ordered a two tier cake for my daughter's baby shower for her first born-to-be. Just two hours before the event, I went to pick up the cake and was told that the baker was home with her two sick dogs and couldn't bake the cake the day before. He tried to get someone to do a similar cake but was unable to complete it. Not only did he never try to contact me when he found out his employee was unable to make the cake, he tried to charge me nearly 2.5 times the $82 that the baker quoted me. It wasn't until I expressed my frustration that he lowered the price from $199 to $150. I informed him I had the quotes in the bakers handwriting and on his company's paperwork and later emailed the photos of the pages, but he has opted to not respond. I unfortunately was between a rock and a hard shell in that I was hours away from the shower and had no other option for what was supposed to be the centerpiece for her once in a lifetime event (you only get your first baby shower once). It is very disappointing that a local company would not honor the quote it provided.

I highly recommend anyone avoid Cakery unless you are open to being disappointed, taken advantage of, and lied to.

Separately, the cake was not designed how I ordered it and while the bottom tier was edible, the top tier was not. I am guessing it had to do with the fact it was someone other than the original baker that made and designed the cake.

It also did not include the highlight of the cake which was the large fondant now covering the top tier. Yet, even with the lack of design and missing focal point (the bow), he still charged me $68 more than the quote.

Date of visit: December 2015
3  Thank heideh77
Reviewed November 11, 2015

Chocolate cake itself was too dry. Butter cream was excellent and not too sweet.
Been buying cakes here for many a year and will continue since this is the best place I know in the area.
Individual selections have always been excellent but I have not tried them made by the new baker.

Date of visit: November 2015

Been to The Cakery? Share your experiences!