“Great find in commercial area”
Review of Cha Ya Cafe

Cha Ya Cafe
Ranked #81 of 287 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Sushi, Thai
Reviewed October 10, 2017

This very pleasant restaurant is in a commercial sort of open mall area. We were there for dinner. The decor is open, modern and inviting. The menu is asian bistro, not any one cuisine. There is a sushi chef making fresh sushi, which we will come back to try, but we stuck with the menu. I had Tom Yum with shrimp soup, which is Thai. It was flavorful, rich broth with lemongrass and other fragrant herbs. For the entree I selected the Cha Ya appetizer platter which had 2 satay chicken skewers, 2 spring rolls, 2 shumai and 2 large coconut shrimp. For me the highlight were the 2 small Shumai with intense flavor and the very crispy spring rolls. The satay was served with a very good peanut sauce and mango chutney. The shrimp were crispy and very tasty served with a sort of sweet sauce on the side. While an appetizer, with the soup it provided a satisfying meal. Looking at the other tables and my wife's Cha Ya fried rice, also very good with a lot of subtle flavors, not the usual flat rice taste, the portions were very generous. All in all, it was a meal that made us want to come back and try some more. There is a full bar with Japanese beer on tap. Importantly, our server always had a ready smile and, unobtrusively, kept my water glass full, important since I usually go through 4-5 glasses during the meal.

1  Thank Doc_ABC

Reviewed November 17, 2016 via mobile

I have had several recommendations from co-workers for this place and we have it a try today. I found that the options were probably too many, but each was excellent. I am also a heat freak, so when asked how hot do I want it (1-5), I said 7 please. They prepared it for me with a warning that they can't take it back. I found it to be spicy, but not really hot. I did enjoy it, but would have given them a 5 if their 5 heat was something that made me sweat. This is a great place to go for something Thai or Asian for cuisine.

1  Thank ThomasS3567
Reviewed October 28, 2016

I love this place because it is consistently good and the food taste fresh. I always get the Shrimp Pad Tia and I am particular about that dish - it is always good.

Reviewed October 25, 2016

Cha Ya is a smaller restaurant but that is a strength. The decor is bright and nice and the place is clean. The staff is friendly and very attentive. We got our drinks right away and the beers were cold. We had the Gyoza appetizer and it was excellent. I had the talapia and it was really excellent.

1  Thank TooOldtoRun
Reviewed October 19, 2016

Three of us went to dinner and had a really nice dinner. The menu is a bit eclectic with Thai food and sushi as well The waitress was very attentive but not overly pushy. We went when all bottles of wine were 1/2 off so that was an awesome way to start ($16 for a bottle of wine out was a great deal). We started with an order of seafood dumplings which were quite good. I had a peanut based curry with tofu (Penang) which was very good, slightly spicy, very thick and filling (I took half home), and it was served with white rice. It came with soup or salad and I got the salad which was basically a few types of baby greens, but the salad dressing was delicious, not sure what it was, but so good! My husband had the green curry which was really good if you like green curry. They were able to modify like the level of spice for those dishes. Our friend had seaweed salad which she said was really tasty, and some fried tofu that was served with a dipping sauce and she liked hers a lot. Total was around 72$ which I thought was pretty good.