“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #48 of 279 Restaurants in Columbia
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

We ordered take out from this restaurant and we were impressed with the flavor of the dishes we chose. Portions were generous and promptly prepared. Our only criticism was the top of one dish was not secured properly so we found some of the food at the bottom off the bag. But we'll surely try this place again.

Reviewed July 2, 2017 via mobile

Went here because it was well rated here and on google reviews - ate in because reviews on the take out were so-so. Upon entering we were greeted and sat by a courteous young man, but that's where the positives ended.

Our server was as tight lipped and surly as could be, without being overtly "rude". I asked for a recommendation between two dishes and his answer was a single word. He yanked the drinks menu off the table in a huff when we said we'd start with water... etc.

As far as the food went, it was mediocre. We tried the egg and spring rolls, and the double fried noodles with chicken and the sesame chicken. Nothing stood out as good or bad, just "meh".

My wife was only given maybe half a cup of rice for her huge portion of chicken, and when she only ate a fourth of it and took the rest to go, we weren't even given any rice for the road. That's super odd, unheard of in our experience. She'll have to make rice tonight to eat her leftovers for lunch tomorrow...

Altogether a pretty bad experience, and pretty expensive to boot. We'll skip this one in the future when trying out Chinese places in Howard county.

Reviewed June 4, 2017

I used to frequent this restaurant at lunchtime many years ago, when I worked nearby, and I'd keep coming back for the Sunday brunch. Unfortunately, they no longer have the Sunday brunch, but the food, service and atmosphere are still excellent. Creative Southeast Asian (ASEAN -- that's not a typo) cuisine, expertly done. I'll be back!

Reviewed April 9, 2017

The Asean Bistro was chosen as the venue for my father's 90th birthday. We were about 45 in all, give or take. We were accommodated in a space that was separated from the rest of the tables by half walls and lattices, but maintained some degree of togetherness without worrying about running into the other diners that night. It was also easy to see and get together with other persons in the birthday group that evening. That said, 45 was a bit tight. I think the space is probably better accommodated for groups of 40 or less.

The food was hot and plentiful and tasty. For an affair like this you have a choice between 2 banquet style menus, both of which looked quite delicious to me, but I admit to being partial to the cuisine. I picked the menu that had a vegetarian option on it (I do not know if it was strictly vegan or not). There was also a chicken dish, grouper with vegetables and a shrimp dish. The food was served on large platters that everyone could choose from. As a consequence I was pleasantly stuffed at the end of the affair.

Alcohol was charged separately, as well as children's plates. Children under 2 could eat for free. Otherwise there was a standard charge (with tax and gratuity included) for each adult and child over 6.

The servers were very busy that night, but kept up with our needs (more water, drink, chopsticks, etc.). The restaurant also anticipated some of our unspoken needs, that of plates for the the birthday cake that we brought in for the evening, as well as a table for gifts for the 'birthday boy' and for the take home souvenir bags that we put together for each of the guests.

A very nice pleasant surprise addition was that of a 3-piece jazz band that played tastefully without being too loud (a problem in a lot of restaurants these days IMHO). Of course I will admit to being partial to jazz, so I liked it.

I cannot say much about the regular menu since this was a special occasion meal, but if the rest of food is as good as what we ate, I can say that you will be quite pleased if you come to this restaurant.

The location of the restaurant is in a safe shopping center. Parking is a little limited in the area that it is located in, but it is available. There are 2 handicapped spaces immediately in front.

For affairs like ours the person to contact is named Nicole. She was very helpful, especially since I had to conduct the arrangements by Skype and email (I live in Tanzania).

Overall a good time was had by all.

Reviewed March 21, 2017

Good service which is key in hotel business. They have different varieties of food, it tastes very good.