All reviews stanford grill free dessert front desk guest rooms minute drive business travel fitness center would stay here again rooms are clean hotel staff king bed bistro lobby tv gps hairdryer md
Reviewed May 13, 2018 via mobile

The whole experience I had here was so delightful! Every single employee of this hotel was so kind and helpful! Whenever I'm in the Columbia Maryland area this is where I will stay.... hands down the absolute best!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2018

My husband and I have been staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Columbia for a little over 9 years now on each of our trips to visit our family who lives in Columbia. The hotel staff/management have always been welcoming and accommodating. Our rooms have always been clean and comfortable. We usually pick up our grandkids and bring them to the pool for a swim each day and although there are swim lessons for handicapped children going on most times they are no bother, are quiet and we always enjoy the pool. It may not be an Olympic size pool but it serves it's purpose. We enjoy relaxing in the beautiful lobby area for drinks or a bite to eat. The restaurant is not a table service one but the food is good and it is very nice.

Room Tip: hotel guests are usually the cause of noise so if they would consider other guests there would be no issue
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 4, 2018

This hotel is located near the 175 freeway, several miles from town center, near office parks and Wegman’s grocery. One upscale restaurant is across the street (Stanford Grill: offers free dessert to Courtyard guests); all others are a long walk or short drive away. A “bistro”, typical of the Courtyard brand, provides breakfast: it is neither a buffet nor order from your table, but stand in line, order, pay, take a number, and food is brought to your seat in the lobby. It was OK, but we didn’t like having to stand waiting in line for over ten minutes. The four-story building is U-shaped, around a pleasant courtyard, with the 152 guest rooms in an L-shape and meeting rooms completing the U. There is plenty of parking. There is a tiny market with minimal provisions adjacent to the front desk. From here on, it gets worse.

When we arrived (we’ve long been Marriott Elite members) we requested a nice room, for my wife would be spending much time in it for her projects while I was in my meetings for three days. We were given a room that looked out over a parking lot to the nearby, noisy freeway. The room was only partly made-up, with a trash can filled with someone’s trash. We requested a room that was actually clean and facing the courtyard. Reluctantly, front desk staff provided us a ground-floor room, said to be facing the courtyard with a “balcony”. Actually, the screen door opened onto a 3 x 10 foot unfenced slab of concrete, facing a wall from our room; from the single chair on it, the courtyard could be glimpsed off to an angle. The room itself had adequate furniture, but crammed into a small area. There was a mini-fridge but no safe. Toilet and shower/tub were in a separate room with a fan but lacking a heat lamp; the sink and mini-fridge were in an alcove off the entrance to the bedroom. Our electrical plugs fell out of poorly maintained outlets. The air conditioner was loud; when it came on, it was breezy and cold, whether it was on low-fan or “auto”; then the room got too warm again before the A/C came on again. Blankets were coarse (“like a brillo pad,” my wife reports).

The website advertised a pool, so my wife – under doctor’s orders to do swim exercises – brought fins, swim suit, and other gear. The tiny pool (just 15 feet wide, less than 40 feet long) was overfilled with screaming, splashing kids when she tried to swim the first day. When she asked when there were adult hours, she was told that the pool was used for swim classes from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and was also open to the public. Upon complaining to the hotel manager, he rudely said that he “owned” the pool, anybody could use it any time, and that was that. My wife phoned Marriott Hq., arguing that priority should be given to hotel guests when the advertised pool is so small for a hotel with so many rooms. Headquarters contacted the manager; who afterwards told my wife that she could go to another fitness center with a pool, and tell them that they could call him for his credit card to pay the ~$30 fee. When she arrived at the fitness center, they laughed at her: there was no way they would accept a credit card number over the phone. She paid for it herself and, after argument, the hotel eventually reimbursed us.

For logistical reasons, we requested a late check-out and were given one. But when my wife returned to our room half-an-hour before the check-out time, her room key had been deactivated. Because our room was on the opposite side of the hotel from the front desk, she had to drive around to the other side of the hotel for a new room key. The lock on the outside door near our room to the parking lot worked sporadically.

This hotel sullies the Marriott brand. There are many alternatives in Columbia. BTW, we answered "yes" to the question about whether the hotel has self-serve laundry. Be aware that it has only one washer and one dryer. It runs out of towels in the pool area at the end of the evening.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank nedtraveler
Reviewed March 24, 2018

Front desk staff are always amazing and over the top helpful. Rooms are clean. Very quick to address any issues or make my stay more pleasant. The lobby has ample seating with a nice fireplace, big tv, outdoor seating, plenty of outlets and overall warm feeling. This is my home away from home when traveling to Columbia. The Internet is fast. I would like to see the gym improved from their 4 pieces of equipment in a very small space.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2018

Ki Shin, the event specialist at this Courtyard, went over and above to make sure we were taken care of for our seminar today. Over the past week the attendees list went increased by 30%. Ki did everything he could to rearrange the set up and make sure we were happy and as comfortable as possible. Wish we had Ki at every location. So impressed with his passion for making our event the best it could be.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business