“Camp Crystal Lake”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Columbia
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Camp Crystal Lake”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Recently had to stay here for business and it was very odd to see that for the price that we paid, we were booked in the "lodge" section or what I will refer to as "camp crystal lake". We were in the very last section of the lodge and it was awful to try to get there from the lobby. Upon entering the hall way for the 270 section, it smelled like urine...it was overwhelming. Another coworker who has stayed here a few weeks ago who was not with us this trip laughed when we told her that. She knew exactly what section we were in and she called it as cat urine. Her text included, good luck, its a dump and smells like cat urine. She hit the nail on the head for sure.
We had 4 rooms. Upon entry into room one, you could tell they just got done febreezing it to death with cheap air freshner. I felt bad for my peer, you could smell it from the urine filled hallway and she opened the window and then left the room hoping it would be gone later in the evening. Its if it was dumped in mass in there. She did have a fridge and microwave though. My room was ok, not fridge or microwave and water damage was over the ceilings and not all of the lamps worked. (and all of the lamps have different ways of being turned on...very odd) Desk chair was stained - its the kind of place where you dont take your shoes off at all. It got a little worse when I came back that evening to 2 bugs on the floor near the heater/ac unit...large living beetle type bugs. Try sleeping at night after finding bugs in your room. The coworkers who stayed on the 3rd floor were greated with stink bugs in the tub and bed.

I have never stayed at a Sheraton that is like camping. It didnt have the awesome Sheraton beds that we are use too and what we thought we were getting. You have to pay for WIFI there as well...I mean seriously, who pays for internet access anymore at a hotel that does mostly business? Thankfully I only had to stay one night. I really feel bad for the people who had to stay multiple days.

Bar was good, people who worked there are nice, and breakfast in the morning was good. There is a strip of little eateries within walking distance to the hotel. Honestly, the only way I will ever stay there again is if I am able to book the main hotel where you check in at - it would have to be better. We tried to upgrade but that was like asking the pope to visit. The lodge portion is seriously not up to par.

Room Tip: try to book at the main hotel...run if your reservation states "lodge".
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Dennis Port, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

When we visit the Baltimore-Washington DC area we always stay at the Sheraton in Columbia. It is centrally located, the wonderful Columbia Mall is right across the street, and it is in a lovely area that is set away from the highway and the beltways. The hotel is located with lovely lake views and the service is wonderful! If you don't want to go out for breakfast or dinner, their lovely Waterside Restaurant is right downstairs and the breakfast buffet is great! The rooms are very nice - we especially enjoyed our two-room suite with all the conveniences and a beautiful view of the lake below. I took photos to remember our visit and the charming accommodations, so I'll attach them to this review.

Room Tip: I always request a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The room was open and airy. The area was excellent with several places to eat and a mall accross the street. There was also a mini mart gas station in the complex. The breakfast buffet was excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for your review and kind words about the property and the immediate area - we are always working to ensure our guests have a positive stay and I will share your comments with our associates. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel for business. The hotel allowed me to check in early, the room was perfect. The staff were great from check in to check out. The hotel is in a great location as well. I would highly recommend the Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future. I will pass along your input to the Associates, again, thank you for your time.
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed at the Columbia Sheraton for three nights. The hotel itself is just a little bit difficult to find, but, we managed okay. More signage might be useful to travelers not familiar with the area.

The front desk staff were very friendly and pleasant. After only one day they knew us by sight, and greeted us by name as we passed. Anything we needed they quickly helped with.

The room was large, clean, and modern. The bed very comfy with a soft comforter. The view was of the man made lake out a large window. There was coffee and tea in the room, which was so nice, but, no fridge or microwave, so, that is the only addition I would have wanted to see.

The restaurant on the lower level was very nice, but, I would like to suggest cutting back on the portion sizes. They're huge, and we could never finish what we ordered. Some may prefer that for their money, but, I just felt guilty wasting all that food, especially due to the lack of a fridge to store leftovers in or a microwave to heat them up in.

The business center was in a rather noisy area in the lobby, but, there were no shortage of computers. It would be nice if it were moved to a quieter area.

We parked our rental car in the parking garage and never had any shortage of convenient spaces.

Behind the hotel is a walking path that goes from just north of the hotel where there are a collection of restaurants, and then south to a wooded area. It was a nice quiet place to walk, and it felt pretty safe in the daytime.

The mall is across the road with plenty of stores, restaurants, an enormous food court, and even a carousel next to the starbucks.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake are quiet, and have a wonderful view. There are also rooms that are promo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and strive to make all stays pleasant ones. We look forward to welcome you back in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel twenty years ago and once again this March. Since I have a star prefered card I was put in a wing for the card holders. The room was pleasantly appointed. The bed was comfy and the pillows were perfect. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Thank you very much for your review and appreciate your input - we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Hotel is beautiful, awesome architecture, nice restaurant with good view of the lake, excellent staff.

Everything about the hotel, except the room, is great. Carpet was severely stained, room had a few dead insects on the floor from not being cleaned as thoroughly as it should have. Rooms need to be updated.

Nearby dining at Clyde's is superb :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Joe_Giannino, General Manager at Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for your comments on the property. I am proud of our Associates and appreciate your kind words on their performance. I will continue to work with the teams to make improvements throughout the property and your input is helpful. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to assist with a future stay. Thank you again.