“Great Dining Experience in Elkridge...tops in Columbia, Ellicott City, Elkridge area!”

Elkridge Furnace Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Elkridge Furnace Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 60 Restaurants in Elkridge
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Historic mansion ca.1744 hosting an a la carte restaurant with seasonally changing menus, private functions including intimate parties to large receptions, monthly special events from Afternoon Teas to Wine Tastings, and off-site catering to the entire state of Maryland.
Maryland
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I decided to take my wife to the Elkridge Furnace Inn (EFI) to celebrate her birthday. I have tried other area fine dining restaurants (such as Tersiguels...which was nice one night an an utter disaster the other) and wanted to try something new. I have friends who have eaten at the EFI and I figured it'd be worth a try. In addition, they have a restaurant.com certificate that helps with the price a bit. That was not the deciding factor though.

I called to make reservations several days in advance and it was easy to do so. We were eating early so getting a reservation worked out just fine.

We went to the restaurant on the opening weekend of a HUGE film (The Hunger Games) and although we allotted time for dinner, we were on a time frame. My wife was excited not only for the meal, but also for the movie.

When we arrived, we met with a nice young lady at the front who offered to take our jackets. Michael, the maitre d', then came by and seated us upstairs (there are several rooms and 2 levels to the restaurant) at a cute romantic table. The restaurant is in a historic building that dates back to 1744. There is a lot of history there and Michael will explain most of it to you, if you ask. One thing you'll learn from the staff at EFI is that they really love their restaurant and they love taking care of their patrons.

Once seated, we were introduced to a young man who asked if we wanted a drink or bottled water. We opted for the sparkling water (San Pellegrino) and it came in the decorative full 1 liter bottle, not the 750ml size that a lot of restaurants offer. He also brought us sourdough rolls....yum!

Our waiter for the evening was Eric...great guy with sound recommendations...he came to the table just the right amount of times...was easy to talk with...excellent waiter. We discussed with him the murder mystery nights that they have at the restaurant...very cool...we'll be sure to return for that!

Onto the food...

My wife ordered a salmon trio appetizer. I wanted to get a picture of it but it was gone before I could...wow! It had a tare tare preparation, a pate preparation, and another...she loved them all! I got a nice house salad (see photo...I was already eating it when I took the picture)...the size was about right and the dressing was a house vinaigrette that was different from any other I've ever had. It had accents that complimented the salad perfectly...very good salad...and if you've read any of my previous reviews, you'll know that a good salad tends to mean a good meal!

For the entree, I ordered the special of the night. It was a cornish game hen stuffed with spinach, pate, and some fancy mushrooms...on the side it had fingerling potatoes and snow peas (love them) in a reduction sauce of some kind...please see the photo. Needless to say, it was excellent...no complaints...I really enjoyed this meal. With it I had a glass of the house Pinot Noir...very smooth and went great with the hen...

Eric stated that the sea bass was stellar and that is what my wife went with. (please see photo). Well, he was 100% right on. The portion was quite generous and it was served in a sort of pesto sauce over purple potatoes with some other veggies. It looked great and it tasted fabulous. My wife let me try it this time (unlike with the salmon appetizer) and I can attest to the fact that it was indeed superb.

For dessert, we ordered the apple and pistachio tart...it came with raspberry ice cream and whipped cream. (see photo...you'll see the candle in it for my wife's birthday). It was an excellent choice...yummy! The tart was great and the raspberry ice cream perfectly complimented it. It usually comes with caramel and raspberry sauce on it, but we opted for those sauces on the side. For my wife's birthday, they also gave us a little bottle of Martinelli's Sparking Apple Cider (my wife wasn't drinking alcohol that night so the cider was perfect). Such a cute gesture...very well received. This is a restaurant with a personal touch...this goes a long way!

The Elkridge Furnace Inn is a fine dining restaurant that really takes care of its patrons. They go above and beyond and offer top quality service with very high end food. I really liked this restaurant and I highly recommend it. We will be going back, for sure.

• Visited March 2012
4 Thank Connoisseurus_Rex

Columbia, MD
“Enjoyable dining in historic setting”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

As other Tripadvisor posters have noted, the Elkridge Furnace Inn is set back off the main road a bit, accessed via a small nondescript sidestreet. As you approach from main street, there's a large parking lot on the left, with walkways leading to the restaurant. The building itself is charming, with its red brick and the front porch. Inside are small rooms, both upstairs and downstairs, with a handful of tables in each. We've had a couple meals there now and it's been wonderful each time: the atmosphere is cozy, the food is delicious and the presentations delightful. The waitstaff were always friendly and helpful. We're looking forward to our next meal there!

• Visited January 2012
Key West
“Great food, service and atmosphere”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is a beautiful restaurant with excellent, French Provincial food. We went with a large party and enjoyed flawless service and wonderful food. The French Onion Soup was perfect. The lamb, Cassoulet and steaks were wonderful, and the setting is beautiful. I thought the pricing was fair for the quality and overall experience.

I love fine dining and for a romantic, special meal, this is a great choice. If I lived in the area, this would be one of my go to places for a wonderful meal.

I can not wait to go back.

• Visited February 2012
Maryland
“Class and Elegance”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

If you were to start from scratch to design a restaurant that presents diners with the best in cuisine and atmosphere, you could hardly do better than the Elkridge Furnace Inn. It gives off the aura of an old inn in days gone by. The food is wonderfrul from first to last course, and the service is impeccable.

Columbia, Maryland
“Delicious brunch in a historic setting with great service”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The setting is wonderful in an inn that has been in operation since the 18th C. The brunch is a prix fixe menu where you get to select an appetizer and an entree with sides. They also give you a basket of fresh baked goods, tea/coffee. Everything we had was yummy - the fruit salad (sounds boring and simple but it wasn't!) and the french toast appetizers were well proportioned so you could enjoy your entree. I had spicy shrimp with grits and my husband had Eggs Benedict - both were finished off! The service was smooth - food arrived together and was hot. The server was knowledgeable and efficient without being "over the top" or pushy. This is a place to go if you want to impress out-of-town visitors. We will be going back!

• Visited January 2012