All reviews bed and breakfast irish cream delicious french toast frittata gourmet breakfast historic property breakfast was amazing wood burning close to home private bath next morning chain hotel both mornings each morning business traveler beautiful room fireplace
Reviewed April 11, 2018

This is a lovey, very old (circa 1780) traditional bed & breakfast inn about 40 mins north of Washington DC and 30 min south of Baltimore just off Rt 29 [great website]. The countryside setting offers scenic woodsy views, a pond, and outdoor patios to enjoy warm evenings. The rooms are nicely decorated, each room having its own modern private bath; many rooms with working wood-burning fireplaces. A lovely indoor sitting room with 3 walls of windows offers a nice setting for breakfast. The inn-keeper is a wonderful host who enjoys cooking delicious gourmet breakfasts. Each morning we had a lovely bowl of fresh fruit with yogurt & granola and choice of juices. Our first morning we had a delicious French toast flavored with Irish cream liquor and served with maple syrup. The next morning we had a ham and cheese frittata. One downside with such an old property were the loud, squeaky floors in most of the rooms. Excellent, fast wifi service and Verizon Fios TV with a multitude of channels were available.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we so appreciate it. I really thank you for all the detail you point out in your review. It really helps those who are trying to decide where to stay, to see a snapshot of someone else's experience. Thanks so much and come back soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

Flew into BWI and spent the night at this great little B&B. Only six total rooms, but it’s a fantastic find if you appreciate quality. Not Only are the rooms. Beautiful but the grounds are great (check out the Red Oak that is certified by the National Arbor Society) and the hosts are great. If you’re seeking a place to stay when coming into BWI (it’s about a 10 min drive) you should consider this place.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2018

Folks, thank you so much for the kind words about your stay here at the Wayside Inn, We love that tree too! If only it could talk (did George Washington just visit here with the owners, or did he spend the night?).
Come back the next time you are in our area!!
Thanks again.

Reviewed February 12, 2018

Surprised my wife by taking here here for Valentine's Day, even though it's pretty close to home. Just wanted to try it out, as it came highly recommended by a dear friend. The friend is the owner of One Dish Cuisine, a great restaurant that specializes in allergy-free foods. David at Wayside did not disappoint either in taking care of our gluten and dairy-free concerns. He is well versed to accommodate just about anyone. The place was absolutely beautiful and was designed around the 1780 period in which it was built. Just gorgeous. The grounds are nice, food was delicious, David couldn't have been in a more perfect job for himself. Very hospitable and the personality of a happy B&B owner. :) Just a word of caution however. As I said the place dates back to the late 1700's. So do the floors. They are obnoxiously loud when you walk on them. Other than that, go there. It's well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2018

Thanks so much for the great review! We do love our beautiful Inn and people like you who come to spend some time with us! As I mentioned to you, our whole family has food issues, from extreme gluten sensitivity to lactose intolerance, so I am pretty up to date on dealing with food issues.

As I mention to my guests who point out the creakiness of the floors, I tell them that if you were born around 1780, you would be pretty creaky too! My most common comment about the floors: "Oh my gosh, this reminds me of my grandma's house. Her floors creaked like this too!" I consider them like a reminder that everyone from General George Washington, to now you, have trod these floors over two hundred years and the sounds you hear are the sounds of hundreds of thousands steps that have walked these historic floors.

Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while on our honeymoon. I would recommend the Wayside Inn to anyone looking for a great place to stay! Our stay was great. We stayed in the Ellicot Room, which has a very cozy bed and huge bathroom. We were travelling between Baltimore and DC for the week, and it was a very convenient place to stay. Then you get to David, who is not only an excellent host but an amazing cook! We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts every morning, as well as the conversation with David. He made some excellent recommendations that really helped our travels and eating decisions in DC. YOU MUST STAY HERE!!!!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2017

Congratulations to you two once again. I really enjoyed talking with you and helping you with your daily trips to Washington, DC (my hometown!) I am so glad you did not drive and took the Metro instead....saved yourself a whole raft of headaches! You were a delight to host and we hope that your life together is as happy as possible and that you have a chance to visit us sometime in your future together. Thanks so much for your kind words!

Reviewed October 23, 2017

We were travelling to the area for business, and of the options in Ellicott City, The Wayside Inn was definitely the stand out in terms of reviews. Though we did find it slightly more expensive than the other options around, it wasn't a significant enough difference to warrant booking a stay somewhere with mixed reviews.

David, the Innkeeper, was instantly personable and charming and was always ready to chat with guests, provided he had no pressing duties requiring his attention.

The breakfast was amazing both mornings of our stay. (Almost) no regrets from cheating on my diet a little bit here!

It is very apparent when you deal with someone who is passionate about their work, and that is the case here.

Highly recommend selecting The Wayside Inn if you are travelling to the area, and maybe even if you aren't!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
David B, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2017

Wow, thanks so much for your review. The passion you reference is easy when we have outstanding guests such as you! We always strive to do a little better than yesterday and even more tomorrow. As a Select Registry Inn, we try very hard to live up to the very high standards that that organization places on us. When you love what you do and truly enjoy the guests who spend time with us, it sure makes it easy to meet those standards.

Thanks again and do come back to sabotage your diet one more time. We will not tell!!

David