“I Left Hungry”
Review of Restaurant 213

Restaurant 213
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant 213 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 9 Restaurants in Fruitland
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2018

While the presentation of the food was very nice and the food was just delicious and expertly prepared, there wasn’t enough on the plate. We are not big eaters. This is fine food, but what I call fancy food. I ordered fish and all I got was fish and about 4 spinach leaves in a cream sauce. No vegetables or anything else comes with it. Yes, you can order appetizers but they were very expensive -10$ for a cup of soup. My one piece of fish was 38$. If it weren’t for the rolls, I would have left as starved as I did when I got there. There are no sides on the menu. Yes, go for the experience, but eat before you
go. This guy is making a killing on the prices of the tiny portions you get.

1  Thank Lana Z

Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

Restaurant 213 is a “hidden gem” located at 213 N. Fruitland Boulevard near Salisbury, MD. It opened on 2/13/2004. (Helps to make its name easy to remember). This restaurant is a foodie’s nirvana. It is fine dining in a small town setting. I read incredible reviews about it on Opentable and TripAdvisor and made a destination trip to dine there. My overall experience was Absolutely Fabulous. Period!

Let me explain what makes this restaurant dining experience stand out from the rest. To start, I almost missed this restaurant from the outside - small looking, but cute. It is located in a parking lot and is very unassuming. I noticed a large herb and vegetable garden alongside the parking lot. (This allows for only the freshest ingredients and produce to be served there.) I was ambiguous about it being the right place. But, then, I entered. Thank God I did. It was here that night that I tasted some of the most fantastic dishes of my life prepared by one of the most fascinating people I have ever met - the Executive Chef and owner, Jim Hughes.

Inside, the place is comfortable with white table cloths, elegant china, and modern, curved handled flatware. Soft, beautiful music played in the background - elegant, yet casual overall. The walls were adorned with bright, abstract paintings and some memorabilia from Jim’s life. Pictures of Ronald Reagan (whom Jim personally cooked for) and Culinary Olympic medals caught my eye to name a few.

The server, Matthew, was knowledgeable of the menu and the extensive wine list. He was very attentive and friendly to us during our visit. He informed us that all of our dishes were being prepared by Jim Hughes alone. (Usually, one would require a staff of several people to prepare such high quality cuisine.)

On Sundays, the restaurant offers a prix fixe menu (3 courses) that is very affordable. I chose cream of crab soup to start. It was the best I have ever tasted - rich, with big lumps of crabmeat, sherry, and old bay sprinkled on top. Amazing! The second course was superb - fresh rockfish served on a bed of spinach with lump crabmeat and a delicious sauce. Dessert - a chocolate soufflé. Very special (I have never seen one offered on a menu before!) It was perfectly prepared - light, fluffy, and delicious. Heaven!

We asked to meet the Chef and he obliged us. I was surprised to find Chef Jim Hughes so down to earth, funny, and engaging. He was so friendly and unpretentious that I forgot how accomplished he is. But, accomplished he is! - Cooked for Ronald Reagan at the White House, Personal chef to the Saudi Royal family (It was then that he learned to use exotic spices and his cooking took on a global flair), Cooked for celebrities like Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, and Sammy Davis Jr., and most impressively, a James Beard Award winner (the top honor one can win).

Treat yourself to amazing cuisine prepared by this equally impressive man - run to Restaurant 213! Peri Rezai MD

3  Thank Guest0412
Reviewed July 23, 2018

A romantic dinner, a business dinner meeting, or simply a place to get the best food and best service in Salisbury...213 is your place to go! The service rivals the best NY restaurants, the food is amazing, and the presentations will leave you with a smile on your face. This is definitely a place to visit over and over again!

Reviewed July 9, 2018

213 is an amazing gem in a surprising location. Jim is a seasoned chef who merits his following. Scallops on lobster risotto were to die for and rack of lamb was the best any of us had ever tasted. Dessert souffle was a fitting end to a memorable meal. We'll be back !

Reviewed June 18, 2018

we ate here for father's day. it is fine dining, not suitable for younger kids. seating capacity is about 36 only. all 5 of us had different entrees and we can't decide which was best. Service was really good as well