“Comfortable & Clean on Kent Island!”

Holiday Inn Express Kent Island
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grasonville
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We were attending a wedding at the Kent Manor Inn just up the road in Stephensville, Md. Rather than paying $300 a night at the Inn (which is lovely!), Grasonville (Kent Island) offers several hotel choices for under $100. We chose the Holiday Inn Express because we knew it was one of the newer hotels in the area. It may be considered a more simple hotel...but we found it very nice. Nice clean lobby. Plenty of parking. The pool was closed for the season, but there was a patio area with tables as well as a nice lawn & a deck with a trellis overlooking the water, with stairs down to a dock. I was pleasantly surprised with the view as instead of facing the main marina area (which comparably is "busy & cluttered") this hotel faces an inlet, with only water, cat tails & ducks! So picturesque! I'd love to plan a romantic picnic dinner on that deck! And the hotel REALLY is walking distance to a handful of great seafood restaurants & fun waterfront bars...so enjoy a cocktail & walk it home! Red Eye's Dock Bar, Harris' Crab House, Annie's. And daytime, I wouldn't have a problem walking over to the "other side" of Kent Island as well.

Room: The King Bed was comfortable, and with my preference: the white comforter cover (Laundered between guests!) with a decorative runner. Plenty of horizontal spaces to layout our stuff. Nice flatscreen t.v. Easily controllable thru-the-wall heat pump. Nice light from window...but good black-out curtains for sleeping. Plenty of bath countertop space & mirror with good lighting; standard toilet & tub/shower: nothing fancy, but clean and well maintained.

Don't usually eat breakfast, but was tempted with the eggs & bacon when I went to grab a glass of juice (orange, apple or cranberry!) Don't see how anyone could complain about a "free" breakfast like the spread they offered! If you want gourmet or made-to-order eggs, you need to head over to the Cracker Barrell. They had so many options: breads (toast/english muffin/bagel/ warm cinnamon rolls) yogurts, cereal & milk options, warm oatmeal, fresh fruit.

Service was all friendly & helpful, check-in/out were less than 2 minutes each!

No real noise problems: Didn't hear any highway noise, or neighbors on either side (tho rooms were occupied), However, in the early morning did hear the guy upstairs drop something very heavy...a kettlebell?? But that doesn't even constitute a "complaint"...none here. Sure, for a week's vacation I prefer a 4 or 5 star resort, but for a few very affordable nights in a picturesque waterfront town...the HIE can't be beat!

Room Tip: Ask about availability of a water-view room upon check-in...typically they will give you one of thes...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Kent Island

Reviewed 21 October 2011

The hotel was showing it's age. The halls smelled strongly of smoke. The bathtub was very stained and there were broken tiles.The elevator was very dirty!You can hear people walking upstairs and the highway noise was bothersome.

The breakfast was so- so. The eggs were so salty I could not eat them.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This Holiday Inn Express was like most I have visited -- very clean and well maintained. Check in and check out were simple. Breakfast was better than most other hotels of this caliber, actually being pretty tasty with everything being cooked just right. The rates here are more than hotels up the road a few miles, but this place is very central to many good restaurants and other amenities.

Room Tip: Book as far ahead as you can because a lot of events occur in this area throughout the year.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I'm an avid user of TripAdvisor and the reviews of the Holiday Inn Express, Kent Narrows, Grasonville, were excellent, just slightly better than the near-by Hilton Garden Inn. So I chose Holiday Inn Express (HIE).

The hotel has a pleasant, peaceful water-view in the back (facing North). If you want that view from your room be sure to ask about the availability. My room--108--faced the parking lot.

My room was very plain looking. One of the walls begged for a picture or something. I'm not a decorator, but neither was the person who outfitted this room.

The bathroom was typical for the chain, and quite clean, as was the room.

Breakfast was included, and I find HIE breakfasts entirely acceptable except for their scrambled eggs. HIE (the chain) never gets scrambled eggs right. I always opt for the hard-boiled eggs from the refrigerator.

Miki at the front desk was gracious from check-in to check-out. Other employees were helpful and friendly as well during this short stay. I commented to Miki before I left that she seemed to have a good clientele in her hotel. I had several conversations during my brief stay with interesting travelers, including guys attending a Paul Reed Smith Guitar "Experience" up the road.

Because of some personal scheduling reasons and my need to extend another day in this area, and HIE limited availability, I left HIE after a one-night stay and moved to the Hilton Garden Inn across the highway. I did not do this because of dissatisfaction with HIE.

Talk about a "wow" experience, I could not get over the improvements for only a slight rate increase (weekend rates). I moved from HIE's spartan room to the Hilton Garden Inn's two-queen suite with an amazing view of the water (just a few feet/yards away). My room at HGI includes a comfortable sofa, a matching stuffed chair, and ergonomic desk chair, two televisions, a sound machine (for sleep), and Neutrogena toilietries. The room is decorated well and pleasing to the eye. I also have a balcony with two chairs, and a indoor pool and hot tub. And a microwave and refrigerator!

Comparing room to room (HEI to HGI), there is no comparison. (Perhaps HEI had some rooms superior to the one I got, but I can only review what I experienced.)

Hilton Garden Inn does not include free breakfast.

If rates are reasonably close, I would encourage without hesitation that you book Hilton Garden Inn.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for a water view room if that is important to you. Those book up first.
1  Thank Donald W
Reviewed 23 September 2011

When traveling on road trips, we usually prefer to stay with Holiday Inn Express because we can rest assured that we 'know what we'll get" A clean room with a quiet nights sleep. Not in this HIE. The walls were paper thin,,,,heard all the noise in the hall and in the rooms next door. The shower head was clogged allowing only a thin stream of water and the AC/heating unit emitted a constant clicking noise. The only positive with this HIE was the setting. The motel was set off the highway and the bay side view from the room was nice. The close proximity to neighboring restaurants was also a plus. If I travel to this area again, I will look for other availabilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront room. It is the only redeeming quality of this motel.
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We read an travel article about the great crab houses here and decided to stop on a trip down the coast. This hotel probably didn't start out as a Holiday Inn as it does have some quirks! All the rooms are not created equal but we were in a perfect room that was very large with a lot of space to spread out in. We had a jacuzzi tub (how un-Hoiday inn is that?) in a fairly small bathroom. The rugs in the rooms and halls are ready for replacement, but the rooms and areas were clean and comfortable.The outdoor pool has a magnificent view overlooking the water and the marina area, making it a lovely place to start the day with coffee and a swim. The staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area. It is an easy drive over to sightsee in Annapolis, but you will be glad to get back here where you can actually park your car and go to any number of wonderful restaurants and bars. We will definitely return here.

Room Tip: odd numbered rooms face the water, even face the front parking area
Reviewed 12 September 2011

...and that's exactly what we got! My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Kent Island the night before we had to be up early for a daytime wedding in Stevensville, MD. The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable, and the hotel seemed safe, so that was all we needed! I think the hotel was fairly full, but I never heard a peep from anyone else, and I am a light sleeper. We didn't really require any service, but the front-desk staff was cheerful and sweet.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasonville
0.5 km away
22.6 km away
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#3 of 4 in St. Michaels

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kent Island? Share your experiences!