“Thoroughly disappointed”

Cuisines: Indian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 26, 2018

At the suggestion of a friend, I tried Mango Grill's lunch buffet today. I have extensive experience with Indian/Pakistani cuisine, having lived in that part of the world for five years.

The restaurant is very low on character and décor. The service staff is not very familiar with the food and does not provide prompt service. I ordered tea with my buffet and had finished my first plate of food before a server even appeared, having forgotten my request for the tea.

There was a decent variety of dishes on the buffet, but many of them were sub par. There were potato pakoras that were like small fried bricks -- it was almost impossible to chew them. The onion bhugia was much better and seemed fresher.

There were the standard dishes of chicken tikka masala, several vegetarian dishes (clearly marked whether or not they were vegan.) The main problem was that nearly dish on the buffet was cold. The "house special" Mango Chicken was completely cold and, judging from the quantity in the serving dish, not very popular. The panir mattir was very tasty but, again, cold.

There were two highlights to the meal: the naan -- one plain and one garlic -- were fresh, freshly served, and as good as any you are likely to encounter.

Instead of the usual dessert of rice pudding, the featured sweet was mango mousse. It was fresh, creamy, and very tasty.

I heard one of the servers tell another diner that the chef/owner was out of town. That might help account for the quality and condition of the food. I will give Mango Grill another try, hoping for a better experience.

Reviewed May 20, 2018 via mobile

Very nice atmosphere. Pleasant staff, good food. Definitely somewhere I would go again. If you are looking for a nice lunch. This is your place

Reviewed May 10, 2018

We’re in Hagerstown for a week and went there several times. Sunday lunch buffet spread was big. We had dinners and everything is tasty and good portions. My husband ate there on his previous trips.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

In an unassuming tiny shopping plaza near the Hagerstown hospital, you can find TWO of some of the best restaurants in town. I have already eaten at, and reviewed Shula's Crab and Grill (Excellent). This time we went to the Mango Grill for Indian cuisine. I am so happy we did. We had a wonderful dinner starting with samosa chaat. I have had the opportunity to visit India many times for work. I have always found the Indian people warm and friendly and their food tantalizingly good. On one trip there I had an incredible appetizer that my host told me was called "chaat". I didn't know that chaat roughly means "snack" and the term covered an array of different foods. So when I came home and tried to order it here I was unable to define the chaat I was looking for and so could not find my particular chaat here in the USA. Well, that is, not until the Mango Grill. Their samosa chaat is that chaat I fell in love with in Hyderabad and it is outstanding! We also had their whole Tandoori Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, and a vegetable dish called Punjabi Aloo Gobi Mutter (Fresh cauliflower, potatoes & peas cooked with ginger, onions, tomatoes & mild spices). Every dish was spectacular. The portions were generous. We took home some of each dish to enjoy again later. Dessert was out of the question but we did finish with a soothing mug of home brewed chai masala. We will be back before too long, that is for sure!

Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Happy to find that Hagerstown MD has cuisine diversity. Been craving Indian food and found this place thru TA app. I ordered the Badshahi Pista chicken and it was delicious. The garlic naan was good but not the best I've ever had. I would absolutely go back to this place.