“Nice Restaurant with Vegan Options”
Review of Mango Grill

Mango Grill
Ranked #7 of 295 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: Indian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2018 via mobile

We visited the Mango after a very long day of Antietam touring. As one of us is vegan, many restaurants are unsuitable. We found the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful, despite us arriving almost at closing time.

There is an entire page of menu items for vegetarians, and many of these are vegan. The dishes we ordered were quite tasty.

A word of caution about ‘heat’. Once you order a dish, you are asked how spicy you would like it. We decided on 3 out of 10, but found out that this was too hot for one of us. If you are at all heat sensitive, “mild” is what you must order.

Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

Mango Grill will not let you down! Fresh. Full of flavor. Excellent service. If you have never tried Indian, this place will hook you. My favorite moment is this fresh salad that has a zesty dressing. Yum.

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Well we thought we were going to Thai restaurant in Hagerstown, Md. Only to find it permanently closed. So looked for something different. Mango Grill was Indian cuisine and it was delicious. We asked our server for suggestions and she gave us excellent suggestions. It's a small place, got very crowded around six. But we definitely will go back.

Reviewed July 2, 2018

Please don't read my review title sarcastically -- this place is really quite good, but anyone from Washington County will understand that it is a small miracle that such a white-washed area can support not one, but TWO Indian restaurants, this one being just a titch superior to the other.

We stopped in for the Saturday lunch buffet; myself, a somewhat seasoned Indian-food enthusiast, and my best friend, never having touched a curry before. We had been anticipating this all day, and we were not disappointed. I have been for the week day buffet, and while it is very nice, if you are looking for the most variety, I would come on Saturday or Sunday. The place does get busy though, so note their opening times if patience is not your virtue.

Our waitress was attentive, and kept our water glasses filled, since we are spice lovers but try to control the burn. Previous reviews have talked about the lack of decor -- I guffaw at that, as I am there to EAT, not stare at walls. As long as it's clean and hot, I'm happy, and it was. We arrived a few minutes before 12, and not all the dishes were out on the buffet yet, but not a problem, we just came back from them. As it was nearly 100 degrees out I did not sample the soup, but did LOVE the dessert options -- carrot pudding, the best thing that could happen to a carrot, and rice pudding, both very refreshing in the heat.

We also ordered a take away to deliver to someone at home, and they loved it. Their own "mango chicken" is a delight, though their Tikka Masala will always have my heart. I really enjoy the lemon rice, and my dining mate loved the spinach and chickpea dish.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed June 26, 2018

At the suggestion of a friend, I tried Mango Grill's lunch buffet today. I have extensive experience with Indian/Pakistani cuisine, having lived in that part of the world for five years.

The restaurant is very low on character and décor. The service staff is not very familiar with the food and does not provide prompt service. I ordered tea with my buffet and had finished my first plate of food before a server even appeared, having forgotten my request for the tea.

There was a decent variety of dishes on the buffet, but many of them were sub par. There were potato pakoras that were like small fried bricks -- it was almost impossible to chew them. The onion bhugia was much better and seemed fresher.

There were the standard dishes of chicken tikka masala, several vegetarian dishes (clearly marked whether or not they were vegan.) The main problem was that nearly dish on the buffet was cold. The "house special" Mango Chicken was completely cold and, judging from the quantity in the serving dish, not very popular. The panir mattir was very tasty but, again, cold.

There were two highlights to the meal: the naan -- one plain and one garlic -- were fresh, freshly served, and as good as any you are likely to encounter.

Instead of the usual dessert of rice pudding, the featured sweet was mango mousse. It was fresh, creamy, and very tasty.

I heard one of the servers tell another diner that the chef/owner was out of town. That might help account for the quality and condition of the food. I will give Mango Grill another try, hoping for a better experience.

Date of visit: June 2018