“Great neighborhood Chinese takeout.”
Review of American Asian

American Asian
Ranked #5 of 47 Restaurants in Halethorpe
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed July 10, 2017 via mobile

Everyone should have a "go to" Chinese takeout restaurant. American Asian fills that role very well. Carry out, call in, delivery, and even eat in options are available. Chinese, Thai, and Sushi are all decent.

Reviewed July 2, 2017 via mobile

This place has great food at great prices. Delivery is free with a minimum order, takes about 45 mins so plan ahead. The noodle dishes are so tasty and portions are good for two meals.

Reviewed June 12, 2017

Have eaten here once before with a group during a holiday celebration, but this time I really had the time and opportunity to read the menu. It has always been my assertion that if an Asian restaurant serves Chinese and Japanese, they really can't do authentic Chinese and so far this restaurant has held true to that principle (they also prepare Thai food).

On the Chinese side of the menu, you can pick a lunch special for $7.25 which includes an entre with rice and "free" pork egg roll; pork wonton, egg drop soup, miso soup or hot sour soup; or a soda. Obviously at this price, you paid for the privilege of the "free item" and if you select soup or egg roll, you still may want a cold drink (which now you have to pay for). I asked for orange chicken which I asked for "a little hot" which my waiter acknowledged, the pork egg roll, a wonton soup (which I said I would pay for) and a diet coke.

The wonton soup I tasted was not made with a traditional pork broth as a base (really not sure what it is) but it decidedly had a sesame flavor that is not usually present in this basic soup. The wonton wrapper was overcooked to "gummy" and the pork inside was not seasoned and lacked flavor. In the small bowl were bits of spring onion. There were no strips of pork which is usually standard at other restaurants. My orange chicken was too spicy (it really was even hotter than most other places who have the chili pepper icon present). When food is this spicy, you cannot taste anything else. The fried rice was not bad but could have had more flavor from pork. My "pork" egg roll wrapper was crisp and not greasy, however, there was no pork at all inside. As soon as we were served the food, the waiter disappeared so I had no chance to let her know that it was too spicy after I asked for just a little spice.

After about 10 minutes, she came back into the restaurant area and plopped down at a table next to us and turned her body and face away from us to watch TV. I counted 6 restaurant staff/owners? who were seated watching TV or playing with their phones. It was evident they don't care whether you like the food or not. When she finally came to our table, she asked if I wanted a container to take my orange chicken home. I let her know that it's too hot when I asked for a little spice; and that I would not want to eat it. She made a face, laid the bill down in front of my friend, and went back to her TV watching position.

I won't be back. They best part of my meal with being with my friend and watching her enjoy her soup.

Reviewed April 10, 2017 via mobile

Everyone needs to have a "goto" Chinese takeout. Don't be fooled by the boring name. Everything out of this kitchen is good. Delivery is also available and the dining room is pretty comfortable if you choose to eat in.

Reviewed April 10, 2017 via mobile

Always had good food here. They are polite and fast with the orders. Food is always good, and they have a decent variety.