“Great value!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in LaVale
Westland, MI
“Great value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

As of this writing, the property is now a EconoLodge. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. I enjoyed the fact that Applebee's and Ponderosa are right across the street and the mall (Sears, WalMart, JCP, etc) is right behind the motel. The furnishings seem to be new. Overall impression~very impressed!

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor room (room 108-110) were the rooms we stayed in.
Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank nubear

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Virginia Beach, VA USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stopped here to rest on a long drive. This hotel was located near the highway and a mall. It was quiet. The clerk was businesslike and not very friendly. The shower was hot with good pressure.The sheet smelled clean, but the non-smoking room itself smelled of old smoke. There was a refrigerator and microwave. So, it had the necessities for a good night sleep at a reasonable price, but it had an old, neglected feel about it. I am not sure why I had trouble accessing the internet but it eventually worked. The carpet in the hallway was "crunchy" like the floor was uneven beneath it. I was glad to get out of here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Was close to the highway, clean, quiet and the front desk clerk was helpful and friendly. The beds were comfy. For 60 bucks it was great! We will definitely stop here again. Thanks!

• Stayed November 2011
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights during a recent dog show. We got in at night and in opening the door were almost bowled over by the smell of mold, mustiness and smoke. This was a non-smoking room which clearly had been changed without the benefit of upgrading the carpet, so the twenty years of smoking that has gone on before is still there. We made a trip to the local Walmart (2 mins away) to get air freshener and deodorizer. Even after 2 days, while it smelt better, it still stank. It was so bad that on the first night, I woke up wheezing.

The room was clean and the cleaning staff incredible, it just stank. They need to seriously upgrade these rooms. The front desk people were also awesome. Friendly, helpful and generous. They made our stay bearable. The beds are okay, the pillows not so much. There was uncovered drywall in the bathroom where they had repaired the shower bar.

Wouldn't want to stay here again unless they upgraded the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

Although I had an exisitng reservation at this location, when I arrived I was not tired and wanted to continue my drive towards Ohio. I stopped into the LaVale location and asked Brian how soon I needed to cancel my rez for the night without penalty. He stated I had 30 minutes left. I asked him how far this location was from Washington PA. I was expecting an approximate time from off the top of his head. I was not prepared for Brian to mapquest instructions to the hotel, and to another destination I had in mind, to call the other hotel to inquiry about availability. When calling the hotel did not work, he called the "800" rez line and gave me a coupon to get 20% off of my room at the Washington location. I did not asked for this. He just went that extra mile even though he knew I was going to cancel my rez at the LaVale location. All of this took 15 minutes. During all of this he had other guests that checked in and he waited on them well without taking his attention away from my needs. Sometimes he had two phones held up to his ear; one talking to phone customers and the other for me!

I travel alot and stay in various hotels. Never in any of my stays have I felt compelled to get online and speak of my hotel experiences. But I HAD to let his Management know that Brian gave excellent customer service and wish me a safe trip as I left the hotel. So often customers only report the bad, but not this time. EXCELLENT!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Actually it as not 2010 but 2 yrs earlier that we stayed there, arriving late at night on the way to Ohio we were greated warmly and spent a great night. On the way home we stayed there again and found the manager very helpful: Hey the place is not the Hyatt, and we travel with dogs, and this place was great. There were several places to eat, and all one needs to do if needed is ask for something and these people went out of there way to help us. Thanks.

Room Tip: enjoy the stay
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

My family and I stayed here for one night during a long road trip. Our room was rather tatty, with stains on the carpet and a rather musty smell. The motel promoted free Wi-Fi, but it turned out the signal was too weak to reach the room, so you have to sit in the cramped reception to log in. Breakfast, included in the price, was pretty OK by comparison with other motels, with a selection of hot drinks, along with muffins and doughnuts. There was also an Applebees restaurant within walking distance across the road.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Redroof664, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
We would like for you to know that due responses such as yours on trip advisor, we have now updated our wi-fi capability. The signal is now able to reach even the furthest reaches inside and outside the hotel. You are now able to sit out on the deck while searching the web. Thank you for your help and for your opitions. We hope that in the future while passing through Lavale, you would give us the opportunity again to make your stay much more pleasant than the last time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near LaVale
1.0 km away
Hampton Inn Frostburg
#1 of 6 in Frostburg
6.8 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!