“Good for the $$$”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rockville, Maryland
“Good for the $$$”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

First time staying at this hotel after getting room on Hotwire.com for very good rate. Front desk staff were friendly, and there were fresh bananas and apples for guests upon arrival. Nice touch!
Since Hotwire did not guarantee room, I was hoping for a King-Sized room at least; however, hotel was booked solid, so had to deal with two-double beds. Room was clean, and everything worked. Bathroom had a couple of things that were worn or rusted, but overall it was clean. Great location in mid-town and right on the beach. Stayed May 11th and 12th, and the pool still hadn't been filled for the season, so you could not use that area. Luckily, they still had some lounge chairs available for use, for those that didn't want to go down to the beach. Plenty of free parking, and as mentioned before, 40-cent soda machines on every floor is a nice touch. Would stay here again for rate I paid, but would just hope I could get a King-Room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavidS050

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Newish renovations make the place seem quite pleasant. Great service, friendly staff. The floors do have a bit of sway to them. The disability room for my spouse was okay. Great water pressure on hand-held wand for bathing. Lovely views of ocean, excellent fitness center, free wi-fi everywhere that NEVER conked out... indoor and outdoor pools, including hot tubs. Bed linens were high quality. Just wish the matress had been too. Bed seemed to cave with my 250 pounds in it and I woke with a stiff back each day. Close to beach with pretty dunes and lots of sand. Ate in the Reflections restaurant one night (reviewed separately). Breakfast buffet was inexpensive, but not much to write home about. Some noises from other rooms, but nothing disturbing. Kitchen with dishes, stove, microwave, sink, fridge would be handy for some, although we didn't use them.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Jim N,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are pleased you enjoyed your room accommodations as well as the location of our hotel. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Jaime W
Case Manager
Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night and was very pleased. The hotel was clean. The room was nice. It had a sleeper sofa, king bed, a nice kitchen with a microwave and a small bar table with stools. Hotel was clean and staff was very nice. They gave me free water and granola bars when I checked in. The resturant, Reflections, was good althought the service was a little slow. Bath is small but very nice and recently updated. It was very clean with plenty of towels. The room even had a DVD player. Room was large. For the off-season price I was very pleased with my stay. Beach access with pool and swim up bar was not open but they looked good. Also has a tanning bed, exercise room, free coffee and the drink machines don't charge an arm and a leg. Save yourself some money and get an south or east facing room (rather than the more expensive oceanfront room). All rooms have an ocean view but get one above the 3rd floor if you want to see the ocean - trees and dunes are in the way.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank vatravler20
Baltimore
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for three nights in April and I was very happy with my stay.Nice friendly staff, Clean hotel. I had an eastern oceanfront and woke up to the sound of the beach every morning, which was very relaxing. Housekeeping staff was very pleasant and made sure I had everything I needed. They have a nice bar with three awesome bartenders. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to be directly on the beach with great staff!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alisha T
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 April 2012

As stated in other reviews, there is currently construction going on at the property, but other than the inconvenience of rerouting, we heard no noise and the workers are all professional and focused on their jobs. However, the whole building needs complete renovations...

After checking in (with a very courteous front desk staff I might add), we took the elevators up to the room. Before even getting to the room, we had to walk down the hallway where the floors are so off kilter that there is the constant impression that it will collapse at any moment - easily 5-10 degrees off level down the length of the hall. The door to our room was warped and would not close completely (you have to use your body weight to push the door enough to close the security latch) and the layout of the room was horrible - if you open the front door all the way, it bangs into the table that is in the kitchen area (and dont even get me started on the way that the bathroom is designed). Speaking of the bathrooms, it was very disappointed to see old, frayed towels being hung in a Holiday Inn - we arent talking slightly used...we are talking ones that have long since been donated to the local community college since they are no longer presentable to company. Just embarrassing.
The hotel does offer breakfast vouchers for their guests, so we tried Reflections one morning. Only one morning. We were there during the week so it wasnt the buffet and it was highly disappointing. Eggs: overcooked. Potatoes: old, soggy, and tasteless. Bacon: cold, coagulated grease. I am hoping that it was just a poor reheat, but regardless, it was so nasty that we left it on the plate and drove down to McDonalds. Depressing.
We wont stay here again and we were very disappointed with this hotel. Stay somewhere (anywhere) else and you will be much happier...

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel would be your best choice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VVorldTraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear VVorldTraveler,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service.

Regards,
Brenda J.
Highland mills, new york
Reviewed 29 April 2012

My family and I stayed for three nights at this hotel and we were very happy with our stay. There was some contruction renovations going on outside the front of the hotel, but we heard no noise. The service was courteous and the room was up-to-date and clean. Our room wasn't an ocean front view but we didn't mind due to the fact it was "off season" and cloudy. The beds were comfortable and the kitchenette was a great help ( especially with heating left overs). There was a game room that kept my teenager entertained and a small, but clean indoor pool. There was also a workout room that was clean and had everything you need to get a good sweat. The Resturant Refections had good food (with both a lite menu and dinner menu). My husband misplaced the car keys and they were waiting for us at the front desk! We would definitely come back!

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor away from the elevators!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KTay333
philly
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

The overall experience was disappointing and not typical of other Holiday Inn stays. Layout of lobby and first two floors is very confusing. The room had an excellent view and balcony but couldn't get the sliding glass door open. Room smelled musty but that is typical of a beach property.
I needed to leave a day early. I went to the front desk early and told the young woman that I wouldn't be staying another night and needed to check out. She brought up my room and said with a smile that I was free to check out anytime...but I was still being charged for the night. The clerk and her manager proceeded to treat me like I was trying to rip them off by wanting money back on a special rate. This conference rate was the same as the online rate on their website. They were turning away customers that were calling in looking for rooms while they lectured me about policy. Nobody can lecture you about policy like a 20 something assistant manager and her team. In the end they did me the favor of refunding the nights stay but made sure I understood I had to be out by 11.
The desk staff was young and inexperienced. The could use coaching on how to handle special requests and that their being right is not always the best thing for the customer or the owners.
I will continue to stay at other Holiday Inn properties, but not at the one in Ocean City.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank alzsailor
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ocean City, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear alzsailor,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. We are glad a manager was able to resolve your concerns. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W