“Great Food, Wild Birds, Wild Horses”

Atlantic House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 18 Ocean City B&B and Inns
Bethesda, MD
“Great Food, Wild Birds, Wild Horses”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was a return trip for my husband and myself, along with fellow birders. We had a wonderful time in February 2011, and naturally wanted to return. Jo and Brian are perfect hosts. The breakfasts and home-baked evening snacks are wonderful and plentiful, and Jo and Brian are happy to provide you with suggestions for dinner in the area. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very clean.

Atlantic House is perfectly situated for a winter trip to Ocean City. With a fifteen minute drive, there are two wonderful places to see a variety of wintering birds - we found 45 species. Within a half hour, you can head south to Assateague Island and the famous wild ponies (don't get too close - they bite and kick), or head north to Indian River for more birding. And within an hour's drive is Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge - home to a rapidly growing population of nesting bald eagles, huge flocks of wintering Canada geese and snow geese, swans, white pelicans and a variety of ducks. Our group is already making plans to return to Atlantic House next year.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ellen C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Maryland
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Atlantic house B&B on Feb 10th 2012. This is one of the most relaxing stays we have ever had in a B&B. We have stayed in plenty of B&Bs and this is definitely one we will return to again. We stayed in room 7, there is a view of the ocean and the room is very cozy. We really loved the hot tub on the deck and enjoyed playing some of the board games down in the dining room. Brian and Josephine were wonderful! They provided an evening snack with some of the best hot cider we have ever had and the breakfast the next day was by far the most filling and delicious breakfast we have ever had in a bed and breakfast! We enjoyed talking with our host and hostess so much that by the time we left we felt like we had made new friends. We have already decided to go back this summer. The location is so close to everything. Even in the winter we had a blast. I also forgot to mention that we had a complimentary bottle of champagne and a box of chocolates in our room to celebrate our Valentines getaway. Thank goodness for places like this one! Cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 7 has a view of the ocean and private bathroom! It also on the top floor so no worries about no...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iluvtravel514
New York
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I stayed at Atlantic House on my way to see my kin in NC for Thanksgiving, and experienced the lovely hospitality of Josephine and Brian. So lovely in fact, I decided to stay with them again on my way home. The inn is very charming, 1 block from the beach, and I stayed in room #10 that has its own entrance and swing. Breakfast very yummy, too, but the best part is the care you receive from this lovely couple who also made wonderful recommendations on restaurants and local events, I even met with them at a nearby holiday event. I will make it a point to stop here any time I head south again to see my kin.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My fiance surprised me with a reservation here after proposing to me at Assateague Island. Right away upon arriving I was already in love because the outside of the house is just beautiful! It is only 1 block from the beach and has a beautiful front porch with rockers and chairs, on the side of the house on a porch is a hot tub that can be used by all guests.
When we went inside to the front desk, Josephine, the owner, was so welcoming and pleasant and genuinely excited for us when we told her we were there celebrating the engagement that just took place a few hours before at Assateague.
We stayed in room 10, which is on the bottom on the righthand side of the house. It has it's own porch swing! It also had a little table for two on the porch. We could see out onto Baltimore St from the porch swing and watch the cars go by.
The room itself was adorable, it's just what you want from a bed and breakfast. Wicker furniture and cutesy beach decor in the bathroom.
We went out to eat at Belly Buster's after taking in the room for a bit and when we got back, there was a box of homemade treats and candies with a card congratulating us on our engagement! That was a completely unexpected, wonderful surprise! I've been to quite a few B & B's and I've never received such a personal touch such as this!
Later that night they had tea and homemade cookies up in the main room for the guests. We met Josephine's husband Brian, the other owner, during "treat time" and he was just as pleasant and nice to talk to as Josephine. We chatted for a while and again they were both genuinely excited for us and our special weekend.
We had champagne out on the porch later that night and it was quiet and nice and no bugs in sight! The bed was comfortable and we both slept like babies.
The breakfast in the morning was wonderful! There was a great selection...breads and cereal and homemade waffles and two kinds of frittatas and sausage and bacon, juice and coffee. We ate on the breakfast porch which was decorated very beachy and we felt like we were at our very own cottage on a beach.
We couldn't recommend this place enough. Not ever have we been so wonderfully treated and we actually felt like we were staying with friends. We WILL be back.
Thanks Brian and Josephine!

Room Tip: Pick room 10! The porch is wonderful and it's easy access and has a swing!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
bellefonte, pa
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We were camping at Assateague but were evacuated before Irene hit. Wanting to get back to shore while waiting for the state park to open again, we found space here. Josephine and Brian were so helpful and friendly... but what do you expect from a couple fellow ex-Brooklynites. Food was wonderful and plentiful, house is a block from beach with lots of things in walking distance. Hosts were great help and fun to talk to. Nice place amongst the ugly plastic hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I booked my first anniversary at Atlantic House B&B after reading about all the good things people had tos ay on here. I must say, I was steered in the right direction. Brian and Josephine are a wonderful couple. They go the extra mile to ensure your stay is a pleasant one. I told them it was our first anniversary, and they had cookies and a note in our room for us congratulating us.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. Window A/C's in each room, and they keep the rooms very cold if you like it that way. The T.V. was a little small, but we hardly turned it on because we were out and about in OCMD. Be advised, the bathrooms are small, but sufficient. I am 6' tall, and had just enough room in the shower.
Brian and Josephine had a buffet style breakfast ready each morning. Always had a fresh pot of coffe, Juice, and Milk. Fresh fruit, a casserole, cereal and plenty of breads, muffins, and fresh homemade cinnimon rolls were some of the things on the Menu. They also had a waffle maker there, with cups of batter with different flovor if you'd prefer that. Each evening, they were sure to have some fresh baked sweets down stairs for you to enjoy. our two nights, they had brownies and oatmeal rasin cookies, and they were delicious.
The hosts are very knowlegable of OC and can give information on almost anything to do in OC. They directed us to Fager's Island for our Sunset anniversary dinner, and it was amazing. They even have free WiFi if you need it. Josephine was always just a phone call away if I had a question, and she was a pleasure to talk to.
The Atlantic House B&B has free parking within 150ft of their location, and is a short walk to the Boardwalk and Beach on 5th St. Very convenient.
They also have a hose outside to wash the sand off after returning from the beach. There is also a closed in shower outside so that on the day that you leave, if you hit the beach after check out, they allow you to come and use it to clean up and change before leaving OC. This is very convenient!
Also outside, on the second 1st floor deck is a hot tub open til 11PM.
They have beach chairs, beach towls, small coolers, and boogie boards available on a first come, first served basis for you to use.

In summary, my wife and I were beyond pleased with Brian and Josephine and the Atlantic House, and we hope to come back here many times. They are the epitome of customer service with a smile, and that is hard to find these days!

Room Tip: Some rooms have shared bathrooms.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StevenB4
Washington DC
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Atlantic House gets about everything right:

- great location: quiet rooms but near the Boardwalk in the center of OC. (we stayed in #4)
- friendly, attentive, unintrusive service: Accompanied a dietary request on the day of, also made a very good restaurant recommendation (Bombora) in the mass of fried blandness of OC
- Good food: the breakfast buffet was ok but good variety
- Provided towels, coolers, and beach chairs so we didn't have to bring anything. Easy parking at a lot next door.

I would only get rid of the tiny paper water cups in the bathrooms and dining room and get real glasses (and that's being really picky)! We would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple