Princess Royale Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Grand Hotel & Spa(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$67
Atlantic Oceanfront Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$74
US$130
US$117
Paradise Plaza Inn(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$71
Dunes Manor Hotel & Suites(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$62
Comfort Inn Boardwalk(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$104
ComfortInn
Hilton Suites Ocean City Oceanfront(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$255
US$211
Holiday Inn Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$58
HolidayInn.com
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City(Ocean City)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$170
HolidayInn.com
2,919 results
All reviewsindoor poolocean frontconvenience storebedroom condoarcade gamesparking garageoff seasonfull kitchenhot tubbeach accessfamily vacationocean city marylandschooneratriumtubsbalconyboardwalk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We have been coming to Ocean City Maryland for many years and stay in upscale hotels, like we thought this one was, but we were SO WRONG!
First of all the hotel itself was horrible! It was totally outdated. It had a musty weird smell throughout the whole place. The elevators took forever and always sounded like they were going to break down. The whole place was dirty. The parking garage had an awful setup and when we went on that elevator and it wouldn’t work! The door finally opened so my family and the other family decided to get off and take the stairs (we used the stairs the rest of our stay).
Second, the rooms were awful! We had reserved a cabana room, but then realized you had to walk down creepy hallways and take 2 elevators to get to the room! When we got to that room we couldn’t get the lights to work until we realized that you have to put your room key in a power slot at the door. Who ever heard of such a stupid thing!? We also realized that people were standing right outside our patio fence which was creepy. My husband would not have let me or my daughter stay there so called the front desk and luckily got another room. The second room we got was on the third floor, with no view except the building beside us, and this room was even worse than the last one! It smelled horrible, it was dirty, and the a/c barely worked. Our room was hot the whole weekend!
Third, don’t eat at Schooner’s! We went there for breakfast before going to the beach. We ordered off the menu and did not get the buffet! There were only 3 of us and our food took forever! However when we finally got our food it was cold and literally tasted like cardboard!
Fourth, be careful when you take a shower! I took a shower while my husband and daughter were at the pool. The smoke alarm went off in my room 3 times! The first 2 times I fell trying to get out of the shower and made sure there was no fire. However the third time it happened I called guest services where I got a woman who in a smirk voice said “No there’s no fire in this building”. I explained to her what happened and that I fell, but she just wanted to send up maintenance but I said no I’m trying to shower! She then transferred me to the front desk where I got the manager Mortisha. She was very rude and informed me that there was no fire, but she wanted to send up security (I wasn’t sure why she wanted to send security). I said no I’m trying to shower, and she said “Take a cooler shower” so the alarm wouldn’t go off. I hung up to finish my shower and she called back and wanted to know why I hung up, I said so I can go finish my shower! She then told me I need to make sure to stop at security before leaving that day. On top of it the next day when I was showering, my daughter saw a bill slide under our door and watched the guy walk away. While the fire alarm was going off in our room!
Fifth, the pool is green and cloudy! It was so disgusting!
Sixth, the employees were the most inconsiderate, rude people we’ve ever had to deal with. For example, I went down to check out and I had a man helping me he asked how my stay was and I said awful! He didn’t say anything, but kept looking up my information. I then asked if the charge for the safe box was already charged, and another female employee jumps in and very nasty says “It was charged when you checked in and we have signs on both ends of the front desk walls about the charge.” The thing is I was fine with the charge I just wanted to pay cash for it instead of them charging my credit card, but I couldn’t even get that out. After all of that I asked for the hotels insurance company because I fell 2 times. That’s when Mortisha jumped in and started yelling at me that I should’ve stopped at security, it was only then she told me I was to put in a complaint with them about falling she did not say that before. She also said that if there was a real fire there million dollar security system would have went off (wouldn’t you think if there was really a fire in the room and our smoke detector went off that the whole hotels alarm would go off?) She kept going on yelling, and called security to get us away from her front desk. We hadn’t even done anything! While we waited for security Mortisha and the other white female kept yelling, and I don’t think it’s very appropriate when a hotel manager says to you she has thick skin on her take me out. I had not even said a word to her! Security gets there and I explained to him about my whole stay and what just happened. He could have cared less, and then another security man came and said the only thing I could do was to call Mike Meyer head of security, and with that we left. Not one person has yet to ask if I was ok from falling. ALL of the employees that work there could care less about anything!
Those were just a FEW COMPLAINTS I had about this hotel! About 8 people know about my whole experience and ALL of my complaints! Overall I will NEVER stay here again and I DO NOT recommend it!

5  Thank oct1400
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Public Relations Manager at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2010

We are in receipt of your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel as well as your e-mail and voice mail.We have made several attempts to contact you and have left two messages on your voice mail as well however our calls have not been returned.

We certainly regret that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. Regrettably, we were unable to assist you at the Front Desk due to, unfortunately, the nature in which you conducted yourself in the lobby. With all due respect, as we are on the hospitality industry, Security is not called to our lobby to assist our Front Office staff without very good reason. Our staff is always readily available and very willing to assist all guests; however when the conduct of one guest causes an issue for other guests and/or staff members, another approach has to be taken. In fact, I am sorry to say that other guests commented on your behavior, as you are aware since you personally took exception to that as well with them directly.

Our Guest Service Manager, Martesha, as well as other staff members have made every effort to assist you. We make every effort to ensure each and every guest has an enjoyable stay at our hotel. And, those efforts are successful a vast majority of the time. However, we are realistic that, very occasionally, despite our very best efforts, a guest will be dissatisfied with an an aspect of our service. It is very rare, however, that is a guest is unhappy with every aspect of our resort.

We again apologize that we did not meet your expectations and sincerely hope that on your next visit to Ocean City the accommodations, amenities, service and staff exceed every your every expectation.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

When we checked into our room the cushions on the sofa and chair were turned up, all the drawers in the dressers were opened, the door to the balcony was open and there were six or seven flies in the room and the safe didn't work. The air conditioner was not working at all in the living room with very little air flow in the bedroom. The front desk told us they would send someone from the maintenance department. When he finally showed up he never entered our room. He stood in the hallway and told us there was nothing he could do. He offered to close the vent in the bedroom which would give us air conditioning in the living room but then the bedroom would get nothing. The temperature outside was in the the high 90's and our room was just as hot. The front desk never offered to switch our room or even offer a fan. The next morning I took a shower and the tub filled up with water and didn't drain out. We checked out that morning after only staying one night. The hotel refused to give us a refund and told us all we could do was write a letter to their board members to express our complaints. I would never suggest this hotel to anyone.

3  Thank amlang80

We are in receipt of your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Certainly, the issues that you describe are not at all typical of that which we strive daily to provide to our valued guest. I assure you that your comments have been addressed with the appropriate staff and correction taken. However, there was apparently a miscommunication in that we understood that your concern was that the living room temperature was too warm while the bedroom temperature was too cool. Due to the fact that all our 310 one bedroom suites are set up with the air conditioning unit in the bedroom, we do occasionally have this concern expressed. Therefore, when our Director of Maintenance spoke to your husband, he did not understand that your concern was that the air conditioner was not working properly overall but believed that he was explaining that all the one bedroom suites are setup with the air conditioner in the bedroom and therefore the air flow is always assisted between the two rooms when the bedroom is opened. I certainly regret any miscommunication as well as apologize if you felt this was explained to your husband in anything less than a professional and courteous manner.

I do also feel it important to note that in speaking with our long term Front Office Manager, she recalls when she spoke with you upon your departure that you did not express an interest in having us relocate you to another suite more to your liking. Certainly, our Front Desk staff is always willing and able to relocate a guest to another suite should they desire or request.

Please be advised that a letter was mailed to your home address yesterday that will more fully address your concerns regarding this matter.

Thank you for your patronage and I again apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

Hotel is very clean with a beautiful location right on the beach. Beautiful olympic size swimming pool and very clean rooms. Beds are heaven. Location is perfect, not right on the boardwalk which is really a plus because of all the noise and commotion there, but close enough to reach it within 5 min. so the beach is much less crowded and cleaner. Actually the beach is beautiful as is the entire Hotel resort. You won't be disappointed! Our kids, 12 and 9 yr. old girls loved it.

2  Thank frankbie
PrincessRoyaleHotel, Public Relations Manager at Princess Royale Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2010

Thank you very much for your comments and ratings. We are very pleased that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel and we look forward to seein you on your next visit to Ocean City.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

My family (me, wife, 3 children under 11) planned a 3-day stay with friends. The condo manager worked with us to get adjoining 2 BR condos on the 9th floor. Planning the stay was flawless, and noteworthy as all coordination was done via e-mail with the condo manager. I was deployed (military) during the time I made the reservation.

Upon arrival, we were immediately greatly displeased with our condo for numerous reasons. We spent the first night in the condo, but realized we could not stay there any longer. Our friend’s condo was much nicer than ours, so we were aware the Princess Royal could provide a condo we would find acceptable. We made a list of grievances (next paragraph) for our condo and presented this list to the staff at the front desk. I informed the staff my family would like a different condo, or a price discount if moving was not an option. Further, I emailed the condo manager to advise her of our displeasure with the condo. The staff worked with us, and helped to move us to an acceptable unit on the 8th floor.
Our list of room grievances with the initial condo included:
1. Table and ottomans worn and stained
2. There were flies in the room constantly. We killed at least 6. We don't know where they were coming from. Our friends had the same problem.
3. There was a 2 foot hole in the kitchen cabinet base boards
4. The faucet in the Master bath was old and dirty with calcium or lime build up
5. There were 3 gallons of paint in our main closet
6. The room was not ready at check in time, and the door was ajar when we arrived
7. The ice maker in the freezer did not work
8. The Air Conditioning blew cold, but the velocity of the air was minimal, and the temperature in the condo remained relatively warm
9. One corner of the stove top was "popped up"
10. The unit smelled
11. The carpet was worn and dirty. We didn't want to take our shoes off.
12. The couch had a rip in it
13. Neither bathroom had towel bars outside the shower
14. Master Bath sink was slow to drain causing the water to pool up
15. The safe did not work
16. The window vertical blinds were missing numerous slats
17. Master Bath tub was missing the drain relief plumbing hardware, which we found sitting in the bathroom to the side of the tub

We were grateful the hotel staff was able to flex and remedy the situation, and we were appreciative of their assistance in moving our personal belongings.

The condo manager advised us our condo had been occupied for 57 out of the last 60 nights with no concerns reported, and the comment cards from the previous guests were quite positive. She further advised our unit had been renovated in the Spring, 2008, and this condo (and every other one) had recently received a $30 – $35k upgrade, and that particular condo, though managed by the hotel, was owned by an individual who would be informed of our critique.

Nonetheless, the initial condo was unsatisfactory for the reasons listed, and primarily because of this, my family is disinclined to return to the Princess Royal given the plethora of hotels/condos available in Ocean City.

What we liked:
1. The second condo was nice…still had flies, but it was nice.
2. Wireless Internet was free, fast, and easy to access.
3. On the beach access quick and easy, with a hotel provided handy hose station for cleaning off sandy feet.
4. Housekeeping and bellman services.
5. Not sure if they were affiliated with the hotel, but there was a convenient umbrella/beach chair rental place directly in front of the hotel.
6. The arcade around the pool was right-sized for the area and enclosed environment.
7. The beds are very comfortable memory foam.

What we did not like:
1. The situation requiring us to move in the first place.
2. The pool water was green and cloudy.
3. The flies in both condos.
4. The front desk staff. Though they were diligent in accommodating our condo move, but both my wife and I felt the staff was, on the whole, less than pleasant. More eye contact and smiling would go a long way.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you felt you may have encountered. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and I regret that we did not exceed your every expectation.

As the person who handled your reservation personally from the start, I was disappointed to learn that you were not happy with one of the two 2 bedroom oceanfront condos that you reserved. I was even more surprised to learn that is was the condo that I assigned to you that was not to your liking in that it is more often requested than the condo that you did feel met your expectations for its larger size, full dining area and direct oceanfront balcony. In fact, the first condo that I provided you with rents for $100.00 more per evening but in order to accommodate your request for two side by side condos, I waived the upgrade fee for you as a courtesy. Many of our condos are privately owned and therefore decorated to the owner's individual tastes. However, all condos are managed by the hotel must meet strict guidelines to be a part of the rental program. However, I would like to assure you that your comments have been reviewed with the appropriate staff members and owners.

Certainly, I am pleased that we were able to rearrange some things and relocate you to a condo that was more to your liking. I would therefore hope that you would not allow this isolated incident to mar your overall impression of our hotel and condos so that on you next visit to Ocean City you will allow us the opportunity to once again serve your hospitality needs.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

The staff went out of their way to make our stay wonderful! Our room was clean and anything that we needed was taken care of right away. We had our two young children with us they had as nice of a time as we did. We would stay there again.

2  Thank KGlass803

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We very much appreciate the positive feedback and ratings. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay and would select our hotel again on your next visit to the beach.

DIane Anderson