Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge(Princess Anne)
US$75
US$80
Hotels.com
Anchor Inn(Chincoteague Island)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$173
Waterside Inn(Chincoteague Island)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$155
US$134
AscendHotels
The River Gem BnB(Pocomoke City)
TripAdvisor
Travelers Budget Inn(Pocomoke City)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroom was cleanfront desk clerkvirginia beachroadside motelminute drivehighway
Reviewed June 27, 2011

OMG, the musty, mildew smell was so funky that we were unable to sleep. My brother had to go get Febreeze, Lysol and car deodorizer trees to try to de-funk the room. The old bathroom crevices gave all of us the shudders! The ceiling paint was peeling & the chair in the room was stained so badly, it really should have been thrown out. At one point, we had to call the manager to come fix the cable connection. He was very nice, but not nearly enough for the condition of our room. The bed and carpet was damp and funky because the air conditioner just was not cutting it. I finally turned it off because it was making more noise than anything.

Speaking of noise, the people in the next room may as well have been in our room. At one point my brother had to go ask them to keep it down because they were so loud and the walls so thin.

The next morning, I had to go to the front desk to get something and I told the woman there about the smell. She said it was one of the rooms that doesn't get aired out much. If only the bad smell was the problem. We did get there late, but that does not excuse the condition of the room we were given. Overall, this hotel is really rundown and because I am not used to staying in places like this, it was really exacerbated! I allow that had the smell not been so overwhelming, I could overlook the other stuff for the night. Never again! I would rather sleep in the car. I'm sure I would have rested just as well. People have commented about the breakfast being good - there is no way I would have been able to eat anything from there. Even after I showered, I still couldn't get that musty, mildew smell out of my nose/head. The photos I looked at did not resemble the room we were given.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank HMFWT
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in May when I was in town for business. We arrived much earlier than the check-in time but had no problem getting to our room early. The man at the desk (the owner?) was very friendly, as he was at check-out as well. He gets 5+ stars from me!

The room was comfortable, and had a mini fridge, microwave, desk, TV, good working wireless internet, etc. The room had a strange smell to it, though, like it needed to be aired out (we left the door open for a while and got used to it). Also, there was construction going on nearby in the morning and that was pretty loud. Otherwise the room was great - comfortable bed, decent location (not near much, but right off of the main road there and easy to find/get to), free parking, etc. There's also a picnic area with tables and green space if you want to sit outdoors.

Overall the hotel was only okay for the price, but given the few choices in the area and how friendly the staff is I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Overall, we were not impressed with this hotel. It wasn't TERRIBLE, but for the price they asked, it wasn't a great value. For $100 a night/ 2 people, we expect clean sheets and room. The room smelled like a mixture of cleaning chemicals and stale jean crotch (clothes you try on at a store ). There were crumbs between the cushions of the chairs. The bed sheets have stains, and though I don't believe they were bug-related, it did not give us peace of mind to wonder. The towels also did not smell fresh. At 2 AM who feels like complaining? We just used what we had and called it a night..

Our bathroom door wouldn't shut properly, which was no biggy, but kinda funky.

I would have been more convinced of the toilet's sanitation if they had left those paper seat cover things that show that no one else had used the seat before us.

I think I remember the AC unit being really loud every time it started up.
The pluses: a nice breakfast and very hospitable/ friendly lady who worked in the lobby--I think her name is Barbara G. There was a waffle iron and that was pretty cool to have fresh-made waffles for the continental breakfast, but other than the neat breakfast and friendly staff member, we weren't impressed.

For other travelers to consider: there weren't too many places to eat nearby that weren't fast food joints or crab shacks. We ended up buying frozen meals at the Wal Mart down the road and heating them in the room's microwave (we were there Memorial Weekend, and the pizza place closed early. We weren't considering food--plan where to eat before you come.)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2011

* Cleanliness and furnishings seemed OK in the room I had
* Wireless internet works well
* Staff is friendly
* Continental breakfast is limited, but OK considering the room price
* No services (restaurants, etc.) within walking distance, but these are all located within 5-10 minutes of the motel
* USA Today and local weekly newspaper available - no charge - at the front desk
* Chincoteague wildlife refuge - where the ponies are - is about a 20-25 minute drive

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from traffic
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Had an usually hard time finding a place to stay in the area trying to visit my mother, as it appears some sort of fireman's event/convention was in town. We picked the EconoLodge as it was truly one of the only available that weekend without having to drive out to Chincoteague. Lovely and friendly staff, however our room was more than a little outdated - it was seriously off-putting. The windowsill was so rotted at the bottom out we worried the window might fall in. The a/c stunk heavily of mold/mildew and never cleared. The sheets were dingy and didn't smell particularly fresh. The furniture was very outdated but I would have been fine with that if I felt it was clean, but I didn't. Pulling out the nightstand to try to get to an outlet to charge my phone found a pile of hair/dirt/ashes that gave me the heebies. From some of the other reviews it sounds as if they're working on rehab'ing the rooms but they clearly hadn't gotten to ours yet. Even for the very low price, I was uncomfortable and had a very restless night. I'm afraid I would not return.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple