“A local institution”

Alamo Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 20 Restaurants in Riverdale
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 12, 2015

My husband or friends and I have been here many times through the years. The latest was for lunch today. The food is always delicious, and the service is good. There are standard Tex-Mex things on the menu, but also specialties that aren't commonly available. The lunch special menu today had a good assortment--we both ordered off it and enjoyed our plates very much.

Reviewed March 25, 2015

I lived and worked in the area for over 12 years and frequently ate lunch and dinner at the Alamo with friends and coworkers. I've lived in Southern MD since 1997 and don't have many opportunities to visit the Alamo any more but take the opportunity every time I can. One of those times was Sunday, March 22, for lunch. As usual, everything was awesome and it occurred to me that I've been enjoying this restaurant for over 30 years and it HASN'T CHANGED A BIT! The decor is still the same, the food is still great, the service is still great, and the place is still spotless. I still get my old favorite Asado de Puerco (the only Mexican restaurant I know of that serves this unique dish) but my companions usually order different things and I've never heard any complaints. My wife had beef Fajitas and she said they were great. I hope they never change anything!

1  Thank Glen C
Reviewed February 18, 2015

The Alamo was a favorite of mine years ago while in college at the University of Maryland.

It used to be a fun Friday night place for gringos to enjoy the 3-man mariachi band during dinner and unwind with margaritas.

On a recent Friday night the service was unacceptable,and we noticed that the menu items and drinks have gotten skimpy.

There were NO AVOCADOS in the entire restaurant!! Imagine that, a Mexican restaurant, on a busy Friday night….with no avocados!! In Riverdale! Where Hispanic grocery stores abound.

The evening was off to a bad start when our waitress informed us we that could not get the guacamole rustico due to the aforementioned lack of avocados. Then, I should have known there would be a problem when she did not write down our order. Shrimp fajitas Mexicana and Beef fajitas Mexicana. We also ordered a pitcher of margaritas. Chips and salsa had still not been delivered to our table. We were stuck way back near the bathroom, where apparently the wait staff babysit the children they bring to work with them and sit during their breaks.

Beer on carts was being trucked from one side of the restaurant to the other….during dinner service! Stocking up the bar/dancehall should have been done earlier in the day, during pre opening prep.

The “pitcher” of margaritas arrived. It was more like a big glass than the pitchers that have usually been used there. It was a mini-pitcher. For $24, that is a rip-off.

The chip bowl was also a mini personal size bowl, as opposed to a size for table sharing. Skimpy. Then the waitress brought two orders of shrimp fajitas to the table. I did not order shrimp, and cannot eat shellfish. She wanted to leave it and have me eat it anyway. I said, “no, I ordered the beef and cannot eat shrimp”. She left my husband’s order, and took the other order back to the kitchen. We were then left to sit there for ten more minutes, with one of us having food and the other without. That is unacceptable in a dining experience. I then had to request that his plate be removed and taken back to the kitchen, so that we could eat together. All entrée’s should arrive at a table together. If there is a problem or error, the first entrée should not merely be kept warm under a heat lamp for 15-20 minutes while waiting on the other entrée. An entirely new order should be prepared. My other concern was the manner in which the fajitas were presented. When did they cease to come on a sizzling plate, and merely crammed onto a smaller dinner plate?

Everything seems to be an experiment in downsizing, which is not good business, and certainly not the experience we have come to expect.

Reviewed November 10, 2014

From the first time I went to Alamo I fell in love with the taste of the food. It's so flavorful and they give generous portions. I will admit the the prices have gone up a bit....what use to cost us $35 dollars now cost us $45 dollars. Nonetheless we plan on continuing to be a customer as long as they keep producing fresh food that taste great!

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Good food. Great prices. Friendly staff. Great atmosphere. Again, excellent staff. Huge portions. Salads are large and very fresh. Highly recommend for some good Mexican food.