“slow service”

Add it.
El Rey Taqueria & Rostiseria
Ranked #10 of 20 Restaurants in Riverdale
Reviewed July 14, 2016

good food, but super slow service, cooks and servers talked to loud inside when they bring the food to the table they should give a number for the table but instead they screaming the customers name

Reviewed March 17, 2015

I am shocked ... shocked, I tell you ... that there is no listing here for El Rey Taqueria & Rostiseria. Time to fix that.

This is, first and foremost, a taqueria. People come here for the tacos. And maybe the quesadilla or huaraches. Skip the roasted chicken, even though I’ve been told it’s really good and it reflects half the name of the place.

The food is great, the prices really, REALLY tough to beat, and the service is pretty good, once you get past the language barrier. I'm a huge fan of the carnitas tacos, although Tacos al Pastor are occasionally the lunch of choice. And I recently discovered a new offering, Tacos de Suadero. Think beef cooked carnitas-style, and you’re getting close. I've also gone off the reservation a couple times and tried goat (a little gamy) and buche (pork stomach), which tasted okay but didn't have an appealing texture. But regardless of what you order, your fresh-off-the-griddle corn tortillas will be loaded down with a huge portion of pork, beef, chicken, or miscellaneous body parts, all topped off with finely-chopped onion and cilantro.

Tacos are served with lime wedges, slices or cucumber and radish, and grilled cebollines, which look like nothing more than scallions on steroids. A tray with four different salsas, spicy red, spicy green, tomatillo and a nopale relish comes to the table along with your order. I think they're all made in-house, as the red has varied from merely hot to inferno-like.

I’ve been in a rut here for several years, ordering just the tacos. I keep thinking about varying the routine and getting huaraches or chilaquiles, but I walk up to the counter, see the corn tortillas being pressed out and tossed on the griddle, and I order up a plate of tacos.

Bottom line -- it’s dirt cheap, excellent food, and the staff is friendly. Enjoy, gringo, and look for me when you decide to stop in.