C&O Canal National Historical Park
Review Highlights
Riding the first half of the Great Allegheny Passage after a wet summer

My friend and I bicycled the full distance to Pittsburgh (330 miles) and the first half is the C&O... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
nw-1954
Boston, United States
Free boat and museum tours!

Pretty little park, with a fun free boat ride provided by a ranger on the weekends. Lots of... read more

Reviewed October 7, 2018
Kelly Q
via mobile

All reviews potomac river great place for a picnic western maryland tow path boat launch beautiful area beautiful scenery american history nice walk small museum great allegheny passage aqueduct hikers trail cumberland towpath information
Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

We had a perfect fall day with our two dogs and walked a few miles along the C & O Canal. The Potomac River next to us, the perfect foliage, the crisp air. The trail is well maintained and easy to navigate. It’s fun to read the historical markers and realize what this canal meant to trade in our history. We loved it.

Reviewed October 25, 2017

Last month my wife and I drove to Williamsport to visit the small community near the Potomac River in Western Maryland. It was a beautiful little town with the C&O canal running through it. The park is interesting and the canal museum is quiet small. You can walk out to the docks f the canal and see some modern barges. You can watch a video of the canal and it is interesting. We went to Williamsport, as it was the home of my wife's great grandmother Annalee Barber. She was a baby at the Battle of Antietam, which was about 15 miles away. We were there on a beautiful day. We walked around and drove to a boat launch on the Potomac River. This is an old place and largely unknown in American history. It is worth the trip. It is a great place for a picnic and to walk your dog. Now I need to get a dog so I can go back.

Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful area to ride bikes on the 184 mile C&O tow path! The scenery along the river is beautiful!

Reviewed August 12, 2017

We were visiting Hagerstown, Maryland and wanted to stop by and see a different spot on the C&O canal. This was a short drive from Hagerstown. There was ample parking. Many people bring their bikes on their cars and ride the tow path. The Park Rangers in the visitors center were very friendly and helpful. There was an interesting 1920's movie about the canal that we could watch. We walked over to the tow path, on the right you could walk over a bridge and have a great view of the river . To the left you could walk down the tow path. Lots of people were fishing from the shore. You could pay to take a guided boat ride on the canal. I think you could also rent kayaks and bikes there. It was a great place to visit, but I was disappointed by how much trash visitors leave behind.

Reviewed July 14, 2017

Great place to take a shady walk.beautiful scenery to take a stroll.boat rides fishing alot more to do ill be taking more walks there.